What's new

The Shining "Redux" trailer (parody) (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Blue Velvet?
What would you sell it as? I could very easily see a legitimate Blue Velvet trailer highlighting Jefrey's love life, or highlighting the peaceful town of Lumberton. But the film itself is about the passage from innocence into manhood.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
More like what couldn't you turn it into?

I could see it as a gay romp ...

Jeffrey is having trouble coming out of the closet ...

;)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Blue Velvet could be a Dazed and Confused style comedy about young people letting it all hang out, with Hopper as a Wooderson-like older guy who just wants to keep partying.

Voiceover: "And Frank knows the right beer for every occasion!"

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
Some ideas for Blue Velvet (note I haven't seen it in quite a while):

The opening lines of the trailer (along with "quirky bouncy comedy trailer music) - "Welcome... to Lumberton!" ... "in a town FULL of misfits..." (cut to weird behavior of people, can be found ALL throughout movie to comic rather than horror effect).

Then: "Meet Jeffery Beaumont..." "he hasn't seen his family in ten years!

The infamous (and sad) "streaking" scene with Dorothy Vallens could be re-contextualized to be more like Will Ferrell's streaking scene from Old School. Sort of a "come on now, Mrs. Vallens..."

The "get-together" with Frank and Ben re-imagined as a wholesome "welcome back to Lumberton" party for Jeffrey. A shot of Frank saying just, "Pabst Blue Ribbon!" then cut to a happy reaction shot of the "party weirdos" and then to Jeffrey's dismayed reaction. (perhaps just after Frank's line, we could get our "record scratch effect")

Lots of insertions of Jeffrey picking up Sandy from her house, and sitting in the car. This is where the trailer shifts into "heartwarming". Can Jeffrey open his heart up to this bumpkin town? That sort of thing.

There could finally be some sort of "crisis" - the "hose" scene from the very first shots of the film could be re-positioned towards the end of the trailer. So his father's mishap is seen as the movie's major catharsis point, rather than its mere starting point. "...to bring a family TOGETHER."

Right after the "heartwarming shift music" begins, the announcer could announce, "David Lynch and Disney Studios proudly presents... a story about connections..."

Kain_C

Screenwriter
I'm working on turning an old classic into a big ole action film. I've got my basic idea as well as dialogue placement laid out but I'm having trouble actually getting the footage into an editable state on my PC. Guess it's going to take me a little longer than planned. :frowning:

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Sounds great-- looking forward to seeing them. Snipplits may elicit a giggle, scripts are nice, but the proof of any trailer is in the watching.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
I think the "gay" T2 trailer is a lot worse than the "Brokeback to the Future" trailer but they both just go for cheap laughs as opposed to the clever "Shining" re-edit. So far the best of these re-edits that's not the "Shining" one was the "Sleepless in Seattle" one and that's still not even close.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Haggai, you called it pretty close:

I don't know if this has been posted in another thread, but it's the closest in quality to the original Shining Redux, I think.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
The Taxi Driver one was brilliant - and I don't think they used any cheats in there at all, did they (unlike the "foster father" line in The Shining). The closest there was was the use of "You talkin' to me?", which at least was from the same film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks