What's new

The Shining "Redux" trailer (parody) (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I'm looking for a trailer that recasts "Sound of Music" as a horror flick. You can hear bits and pieces of it here, but I'd like to see the complete version.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I agree. The Titanic one is not enough of a 180. The West Side Story one is better in that regard, but I don't like the "cheating" with the light effect in the eyes/mouth.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I think the West Side Story is brilliant. But The Shining is the best! You'd never know it's a freaky Kubrick film!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Well, I guess the line "I'm your foster father" could be considered a cheat too, but more forgiveable. :)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm not sure of the rules of the contest, but that one line does seem unnecessary. I would think it should be footage and dialog strictly from the movie, with voiceover and music being fair game. Still, the Shining trailer is top-notch.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I absoutely agree. It's a cheat - and quite a disappointing one as well, since I honestly don't think it is needed. The point of the trailer is well made without it.

But, despite that, it really is a brilliant editing effort. Well done to whoever made it.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Some ideas for a couple of other ones:

Taxi Driver as a romantic comedy about an uptight guy who lightens up by finding the right woman. Show Travis threatening Albert Brooks karate-style and Jodie Foster saying, "I don't who's weirder, me or you!" to establish him as a charmingly quirky oddball, then witty banter with Cybill, etc. Throw in something from Peter Boyle's rambling monologue to make it seem like a go-get-'em romantic pep talk.

Meet Me in St. Louis as a Bad Seed/Exorcist-style horror story about a young girl killer, with Tootie as the murderer. Obsessed with disease and death for her dolls, falsely accusing the neighbor of trying to kill her, the elaborate Halloween night sequence, her yelling "I KILLED HIM!" in the middle of all the other kids. It could maybe switch her into the main role, although it might be clever to keep Judy Garland as the main character, as the protective older sister who comes to realize the true horror of what her little sis is doing.

They certainly wouldn't top the Shining one, though, that's just brilliant. The West Side Story one is pretty great as well.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It is, but in the same way Shining cheats with the "foster father" line, West Side Story cheats with the lights. And again it is unnecessary. It would work perfectly without them.

I like the Taxi Driver idea.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
If you're making one, don't forget to rip off James Horner from 'STII:TWOK' or 'Aliens'! (or Danny Elfman's "Breakfast Suite" from 'Pee-Wee's Big Adventure')

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Funny stuff.

I'd love to see this done to a couple films ...

Blue Velvet and Silence of the Lambs come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks