The Shining: Does anyone recognize location of the first 5 minutes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carlos_E, Nov 24, 2001.

1. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Hello everyone.

I just recently saw again The Shining on Dvd. Great movie which gets better and better with each viewing. Incredible DVD (Digital remastered version) The clarity is amazing.

I have several questions regarding the opening minutes of the film where you see the yellow Volkswagen Beetle winding its way through the curving mountain roads:

1) What part of the country is this? Has anynone actually driven those roads? Specially the one the you see the car going througn a tunnel that is practically carved out of the mountain.

2) Also, is it the same part of the country where the car is driving down the road and to its left is a striking mountain passage? It kind of looks like the Grand Tettons in Wyoming but I am not sure. The peaks are very sharp.

3) Finally, at the end of the opening credits, where you see the outside of the Overlook Hotel in an arial shot. Is this an actual Hotel in this country and where is it?

I think the interior of the hotel was shot in England (correct me if I am wrong)but what about the opening scenes seen from the air?

Thank you

Carlos

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

I believe part of it was the same footage used in the original ending of Blade Runner. The excellent Blade Runner book Future Noir explains that Kubrick used some of this footage in The Shining. I can't remember all of the details, nor do I know how much of that is truth. Good book, though.

3. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

My memory is a little sketchy here, but I seem to remember that these scenes were shot in Colorado somewhere.

The Overlook hotel shot that you see at the end of the opening credits was a fake facade that was built in front of a real hotel.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Ash Williams

Ash Williams Second Unit

The Timberline Lodge on Mt Hood in Oregon was used for the exteriors, but all the interiors were specially built.
    Hear are all the filming loacations from The IMDb:
    • Bretton Woods, New Hampshire, USA
    • Colorado, USA
    • Glacier National Park, Montana, USA
    • London, England, UK
    • Timberline (portion), Oregon, USA
    • Timberline Lodge Mt. Hood National Forest, Oregon, USA
    • Yosemite National Park, California, USA

6. Brad Porter

Brad Porter Screenwriter

There is a brief shot of the Boulder "skyline" before the sequence with the doctor visiting to treat Danny. That is the only portion which I'm certain was shot in Colorado. The opening sequence may have been filmed here as well, but I've never been able to identify the locations during any viewing.

Brad

7. Ivan Lindenfeld

Ivan Lindenfeld Second Unit

I am going from memory here but I think the opening scene shows them driving through the Eisenhower Tunnel which is on the interstate from Denver/Boulder to Vail (at least that was where I was going summer 2000 when we went through it.)

8. Matty B

Matty B Stunt Coordinator

The exterior of the Stanley is of the Stanley, is Estes Park Colorado, an over priced hotel. (Also where the book takes place)

9. Scott A.

Scott A. Agent

I believe the Drive through the mountains at the beginning is the road out to "Many Glacier Lodge," In Glacier National Park, Montana. I used to work for company that owns the Hotel years ago, and spend many drunken nights at bush parties with the staff, who insisted that's where that stretch of film was shot.

Aside from the parties, the whole area is pretty spectacular. The "Going to the Sun Highway", in Glacier Park is probably the nicest brief mountain drive in the 'States. If you can deal with the Traffic...

S.

10. Gary Tooze

Gary Tooze Producer

I am thinking Colarado too... from my review at:
    CLICK HERE
    of the Hotel:

11. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

12. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Here is info that probably confirms it. Stanley Kubrick-

13. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

I remember reading an article a long time ago about this scene. Apparently Kubrick didn't like the color of a certain boulder, so they had a painter spend the entire day repainting a huge boulder to a more acceptable color.

So of course, it was cut from the final sequence.

I remember it saying the location was in Colorado.

14. Carlos_E

Carlos_E Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the all the responses guys. Very helpful. I hope to someday drive those mountain roads which appear in the beginning of The Shining.

Living in flat Florida, I get turned on everytime I see mountain roads like the ones in the film. If you guys have not seen the digitally remastered version of the Shining, get it. Extremely crisp and clean. The DVD does not look like a 21 year old film. (DVD viewed on a Toshiba 1700 DVD player and 20 inch Sony Vega) Scenery looks spectacular.

Thank you again.

Carlos

15. Kenneth English

Kenneth English Second Unit