1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

THE SHIELD, seasons 1-2 (MERGED THREAD; SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by bill lopez, Dec 30, 2001.

1. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

FX just started running all 13 season one eps, starting tonight (Wednesday), leading up to season two. I just happened to be flipping channels at the top of the hour. When I got to FX, it was the shot of the nude woman on the kitchen floor, and the detective talking about her breasts -- a great way to catch my attention! The first three episodes were pretty good.
    For those that guessed the ending of the first episode: what's your batting average on that sort of thing? [​IMG]
    //Ken

2. Darren D

Darren D Stunt Coordinator

Anybody notice the sunglasses on the $100 bills in the episode DRAGONCHASERS?

Ben Franklin had 'em on when Connie was rifling through Ronnie's wallet before she split.

I thought it was great!

Can't wait for the episode tonight...glad I got the DVDs to hold me over for the week between episodes.

D

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I know the first season was a 1/2 season but is the second going to have a full season run and if so how many shows?

4. Matthew Chmiel

Matthew Chmiel Cinematographer

Season two will only consist of thirteen episodes.
    Most hour long shows on cable only run around thirteen episodes a season (there are a few exceptions, like Queer As Folk). This is because cable companies don't have as much money to produce new shows unlike that of the major networks and the shows they produce won't get nearly as good ratings as that of the major networks. An episode of The Shield almost costs two million dollars. That would require FX paying almost thirty million dollars for thirteen episodes. Now The Shield has over five million viewers a week, but prior FX created shows like Son of the Beach barely had a million viewers a week.

5. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

The first season was also 13. Even on the broadcast nets, seasons are down to like 22 from 26 or even more in the old days. So it's all relative.

I'd rather have 13 solid eps than 13 and 9 fillers (like, say, last season's Smallville)

//Ken

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I just got thru Watching my usual Wed night Tivo lineup

24,The Shield and NyPD blue. And seeing those shows Back to back it so easy to see why the Shield is just the best on TV right now. And it really comes down to good scripts and intense characters. 24 has Kim Being chased by Mountain lions, and actually NYPD Blue is better this year than it's been in a few years, but The Shield just very good, so good you can't look away sometimes. Can't wait for the DVD Release this year.

7. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Season 1 is already out........ [​IMG]
    R~
    P.S. The sheild is my favorite show right now..love it, can't get enough of it...

8. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

It's just been the weakest/worst episode of 24 of all time, that's why next to an excellent show like The Shield it fades, but they're both the best, so good that I don't often see better stuff in theaters.

9. Ottis Fletcher

Ottis Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

The Shield is one of my favorie shows. It's up there with The Sopranos and Law & Order.

10. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

It's been consistently strong since it started. Maybe the fact that they don't produce a full season of shows helps? It might even be better than Buffy so far this season.. [​IMG]
    The only other show that I anticipate as much is Scrubs.

11. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

12. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

13. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

I know there is another Shield thread but since I haven't seen Season 2 yet, I'm afraid to post a question there and risk reading any spoilers. I've checked on the FX website but can't seem to find out if Season 2 will be re-airing anytime soon. I didn't finish season 1 on DVD until after season 2 began and have been patiently waiting for season 2 to finish and get re-broadcast. Anyone heard anything?

14. Adam_Garris

Adam_Garris Supporting Actor

They just showed the whole season in 6 days last week, I believe.

15. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I think there's a pretty good chance they'll rerun the season soon. Last year I believe they did the same thing were they reran all the episodes leading up to the finale than they ran the entire season again a couple weeks later.

The real question though, is when Season 2 will be on dvd.

16. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

August or September, like 24 S2, according to 2 different tentative dates, eitherway, a whole quarter earlier than S1 in January. [​IMG]

17. Angel Pagan

Angel Pagan Second Unit

Thanks

18. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

I'm re-watching season 2 on dvd and have 2 questions...

1) Why are some scenes, every now and then, shot on video? Most of the show is shot on film where it has that nice grainy look to it. But there are some shots where it's on like a high definition video. It looks a lot more crisp, but doesn't look as "authentic" I suppose. Anyone know?

2) Also, for season 2, does anyone think Dani (female officier) had a thing for Julian? I ask because she got upset a lot...SPOILERS....

when he told her about his upcoming marriage. She tried to talk him out of it. She threatened to tell his fiancee about his gay situations from last season. Plus a few looks here and there from her. And this is only up to episode 5 on season 2, so I forget everything else. But I wanted to know if you all thought that there was maybe a underlying romantic interest in him by Dani, or am I just reading too far into things.

19. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Director

Michael Reuben

20. Christopher E

Christopher E Stunt Coordinator