THE SHIELD, seasons 1-2 (MERGED THREAD; SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by bill lopez, Dec 30, 2001.

1. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Man has anyone else seen the previews for this cop show that's coming in March on FX? The cop is like Bluto from Animal House with Dirty Harry justice![​IMG]

2. MikeAW

MikeAW Second Unit

It looks different...and intriguing.

3. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

Notice how the name of the show changed from Rampart to The Shield? Guess the LAPD Rampart Division wasn't too keen on the teaser (showing the guy whaling on a suspect in the interrogation room)....

4. bill lopez

bill lopez Second Unit

Because of Sept. 11 the American people will want to see a show like this. This could be a bigger hit than NYPD BLUE.

5. BrandonM

BrandonM Stunt Coordinator

Am I the only one who thinks this show looks absolutely horrible? [​IMG]

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I think it looks like it has potential, but can't say anything else.

7. Mike Miskulin

Mike Miskulin Second Unit

I very much liked this NYPD Blue meets Training Day show last night. It's gritty, it's got nausea-inducing camera work, and it gets away with a lot of stuff even Blue couldn't do. The writing was great and it was nice to whatch a show where the first commercial break came 29 minutes into the program. But man, what happened to the Commish? What sent him over the edge so fast? He was always such a nice guy at ABC and now he's a badass! [​IMG]
    BTW, loved the ending Seeing the 'cop-who-might-be-but-you're-not-quite-sure-if-he-is-over the edge' killing a fellow cop who was going to eventually rat him out for his shady practices was quite unexpected!

mike.

8. James Spraggs

James Spraggs Stunt Coordinator

I must agree. I had never even heard of this, until yesterday, when some guys at work were talking about it. I decided to give it a try and watched it twice last night, plus am watching it again on my vcr. This is by far the best televison show to come around in a long time.

And I agree the ending was the most unsuspecting thing I have seen in a long time.

9. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I too was shocked by the ending. I figured he was a bad ass cop. Who took drug money among other things to keep the neighboorhoos safe. But, by offing the cop. I was like wow he really is a bad cop.

Although, I liked how the Captain(who wants to get rid of him) used him to find out where the girl is.

10. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    I was really blown away by this show. The ending WAS unexpected, and I can't wait to delve more into these characters. Always a good sign. I just wonder what the show will do when it's not keeping up this kind of energy. I don't think it's wise for any show to stay this intense every episode...you need downtime.

11. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

That was the best pilot I have seen in many, many years. My only concern is that I hope that they can keep up the pace.

What I wanted to see (and didn't) was what the doctor looked like after he 'talked' to him.

If you missed it they are going to rerun the pilot just before the next episode next Tuesday at 9 on FX. The 2nd show will be at 10.

I'm going to cringe if I ever see a rerun of 'The Commish' from now on. This goes way past night & day. If they can keep up the pace, The Shield is shooting up to my #1 spot for cop shows. It has the others beat by a mile.

Glenn

12. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I watched it off tivo tonight. I'll give it another shot, I thought they might not have Chiklas's character step truly over the line, but I guess he is a definate baddie. How many shows have had a bad character as a lead? It's interesting but wat does that really say about society. The show is definately pushing the language and nudity barrier, NYPD Blue looks PG now, remember all the protests when that started, but true this isn't Network TV. I was kinda hoping to see Reed Diamond stick around, he could've made an interesting foil for Chiklas. I always liked Reed on Homicide untill they ruined his caracter in the later seasons. I also noticed old Homicide Cop Clark Johnson directing. Good to see hime get work....I've set the Tivo for the next show but we'll see where this goes for a few before season passing it.

13. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

14. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

It was genius to put Reed Diamond third in the opening credits to make Homicide fans think he was an actual long-term cast member. Made his death even more shocking. Though rewatching, the writing was on the wall. =)

15. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

I don't know what's surprising me more here--the fact that this show is getting any praise at all, or that people were actually surprised by the ending. I yawned straight through this one, and at the end wondered why I had watched this instead of one of the DVD's I haven't gotten to yet. As for the ending:

As soon as the two cops started talking about taking Chiklas down, I turned to my wife and told her that he'd be killing him at the end of the show, most likely on a setup drug raid.

If nothing else, this ending reminded me of the old Bugs Bunny cartoon where the ocean liner came steaming up the street. In other words, how could you miss it?

16. Doug R

Doug R Supporting Actor

Congrats Scott, you are elite episode-figure-outer!

Pat yourself on the back cause we're all dumb!

17. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

I for one loved this show. Both my wife and I, were glued to the couch as we watched. I really liked the fact there were only 2-3 commercials in the whole show, that was nice.

R~

Wow, scott you are truelly amazing.....

18. Owen S

Owen S Stunt Coordinator

19. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

I liked the show a lot,and I think it has a lot of potential.

I'm gonna give it a try.

Calvin

20. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Actually, by the time it got to me "ruining" the ending for her, she had pretty much tuned out. She was much less interested in the show than I was. I'll admit that I liked it more than NYPD Blue, which lost me as a viewer less than halfway through its premier episode. I felt that NYPD Blue (at least the first episode) had such laughably gratuitous "dirty language" that everything else suffered. While I didn't think The Shield's language was necessarily gratuitous, it felt to me like the plot was. In other words, at points it seemed to me like they worked it just so they could throw in the "naughty" parts. As for the "shocking" ending: to me, it simply became more and more blatant every time they showed the younger cop what was going to happen. Maybe I was reading too much into it, but the whole thing truly seemed obvious to me. Making him "one of the guys" at the cookout struck me as a cheap and easy way to build sympathy and play up the "shock" factor once he bit it in the end. Had they tried to portray the Commish a little more sympathetically, and a little less like a bad cop (the only sympathetic scene I can recall is whre he gives the hooker some money for her kid--but that just struck me as him ensuring his investment in her), then I might have had some doubts about him actually killing the guy in the end.
    As it stands, the show struck me as a long, drawn-out, cop show cliche. With bad words and nudity.