The Shield - S1 DVD Edited?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JulianK, Dec 30, 2002.

1. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I've just received my Shield Season 1 box set (the R1 version), and have noticed that the Pilot episode is different from the one on the Emmy "For Your Consideration" promo' disc (which I reviewed here: http://www.zetaminor.com/dvd/dvdreviews/shield.htm )
    As far as I can tell, the differences are restricted to the scene which follows the first ad' break, where Wyms (C.C.H.Pounder) and 'Dutch' (Jay Karnes) are investigating the murder of a woman (before realising that her daughter is missing). The box set version has a single establishing shot of the woman's naked body (from a low angle, with her feet in the foreground), and from then on you only see her feet, or her head (in the background when the camera focuses on the daughter's photograph). In the Emmy version there's a rather startling overhead shot of the body (and the initial shot is longer, too).
    There's nothing missing in the box set version - the dialogue is the same, and there are extra shots of the detectives instead, so it's obviously an alternate version.
    The version in the new box set is the same as the one that aired here in the UK.
    Does anyone know which version was originally transmitted in the US (and is it the same as the one that airs in reruns)??

2. Eric Meske

Eric Meske Stunt Coordinator

I remember watching the premiere on FX, and the shot of the naked body was shown. Unfortunately, the "naughty bits" were artificially blurred out, which was kind of weird.

I'm not sure about the reruns, I don't think I've seen the first episode since it premiered.

That's disappointing news about the DVD set, but probably won't keep me from buying it.

3. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I've updated the web page to include screen-grabs of the two shots in question, (and to include mention of two other The Shield promotional DVDs).
    Can anyone confirm that the overhead shot
    a) aired in the original version
    b) is (still) in the version that's been screened subsequently
    If anyone has any information on any other The Shield discs, I'd be very interested in hearing about them!

4. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

I recorded the whole season, not as they aired each week, but in the week leading up to the season finale: Since The Shiled is a thirteen episode a season show, the six days between the second-to-last and the last episode were used to rerun the twelve episodes that aired over the previous twelve weeks(with two episodes shown a night). Tweleve of the thirteen episodes I recorded were being shown for the second time, so there could be differences from the original airings, but I doubt it.

To answer the inquiry: Both shots were shown, with no bluring. Later airings might have been modified, but they they were untouched the first time they reran.

5. Aryn Leroux

Aryn Leroux Screenwriter

I believe i saw an advertisement on FX earlier tonight that said they are gonna re-run s1 of the shield leading up to the premiere of s2. That would be good considering i have never watched the show before.

6. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I am a bit dismayed that I read in a review that the deleted scenes are in Widescreen and the series is in fullscreen. I Believe this show was shot in WS yet we're being treated to a Full Screen treatment and Widescreen Deleted scenes? What gives? I Might pass on this set.

7. Eric Meske

Eric Meske Stunt Coordinator

Looking at the screenshots, I may have been mistaken about the blurring. I probably just assumed her breasts were blurred because I couldn't see them very well due to the lighting.

I do remember the shots in question, though. They were both definitely in the original airing of the premiere. As for subsequent airings, I can't help you.

8. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

The overhead shot was absolutely in the first F/X airing, but the nipples were "removed" digitally, making her look like a store mannequin.
    -Lyle J.P.

9. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies, Eric, Randall and Lyle.

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    Well I just got a DVD Burner and Was going to burn them from FX but I decided that I'll spring for the Box set to get rid of the Awful FX Logo. I'm going to want to watch the original 13 again I think before watching the season 2 opener guess I'll have to leave that on the Tivo for a bit.

11. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

I'm glad you've changed your mind, Dave.

I think any fan of the series will be thrilled by the box set!

12. Jack_F

Jack_F Stunt Coordinator

So, is the concensus that The Shield was shot in 4:3 or 16:9?

Also, the deleted scenes that are in widescreen seem higher quality in terms of the video itself. The episodes in full frame are very erratic in terms of video quality. I realize that some of this is artistic intention but it seems strange that the deleted scenes are in better condition than the official episodes.

If the show was indeed shot in 1.78:1 then I think it's a shame that it's not that way on the DVD. I realize that they originally aired in 1.33:1 on FX. However, 24 airs in full frame and the DVDs look much better in 1.78:1. The Sopranos as well, they originally aired in 1.33:1, and only after the success of the 1st season box set (1.78:1) did HBO decide to just air them in widescreen.

Thoughts?

-Jack