The Shield returns for seventh season!!

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by chuck_b, Jun 7, 2006.

1. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

Great news for all mackey fans, The Shield wil be back for another 23 epsidoes and everyone is on board:

"Shield" set to return for seventh season

By Andrew Wallenstein

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - FX gave "The Shield" a new lease on life Monday, ordering a seventh and final season of the cop drama.

The fate of the critically acclaimed series was uncertain heading into the second half of its sixth season in early 2007. Now those 10 episodes will be followed up by a fresh batch of 13 episodes to air in late 2007 or early 2008.

The entire cast will return for the remaining 23 episodes, including Michael Chiklis, who plays the corrupt Detective Vic Mackey. Forest Whitaker, who joined the series this year, will return on a limited basis for the remainder of the sixth season.

"The writers and I weren't quite ready to step away from these characters just yet," said Shawn Ryan, the show's creator and executive producer, who will return as showrunner.

The additional episode order will bring "The Shield" to 88 at the end of its run.

http://today.reuters.com/news/newsAr...-SHIELD-DC.XML

2. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

part of me is happy about this, the other part is kinda bummed. I want this show to go out on top...i'm afraid w/ probably 20 some more episodes to air that we're going to lose something here.

Every season has kicked the pressure on the strike team up a notch. After this last season w/ Whitaker's character...where can they go??

~Jason

3. chuck_b

chuck_b Supporting Actor

I would have agreed, except I said the same thing after Monica Rawlings (Glenn Close) left the season before. I also heard that Whitaker will be also be back, so more fireworks is guaranteed.

4. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Whoa!

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

What's good is that they know when they're ending so they can ramp up to it. The second half of this season was a "Maybe this is the end or maybe it isn't" situation, I think it'll work out better if they know when it's over.

Mackey better get away scott free! [​IMG]

6. JayDerek

JayDerek Stunt Coordinator

very true. that part is good news. It's not like they're saying 'let's do season 7 and see about maybe a season 8'

~Jason

7. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

I am confused about the wording in the press release

"The fate of the critically acclaimed series was uncertain heading into the second half of its sixth season in early 2007"

The series is in middle of its 5th season, not its 6th season.
    http://www.epguides.com/Shield/

And if thats correct, then the 10 episodes to come will finish up season 5 and then the new 13 episodes will be for a final season 6. There will be no season 7 as far as I can tell.

Or am I just confused...

Andy

8. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

It is confusing (and the "second half of its sixth season" is just flat out wrong) but they've essentially changed their minds about the numbering. Since they are shooting 10 episodes now for the beginning of 2007, they are officially calling it Season 6 (vice the second half of S5), with a 13 episode Season 7 to follow in later 07/early 08.

The whole "second half of S5" came about because they thought it was going to be the final season and decided to adopt the same style of PR as HBO used for Sopranos and Sex and the City.

9. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

I'm very excited about this!!!!

I can't wait!

Believe me that when Vic finds out that Shane killed Lem
    There will be hell to pay for the Strike Team!!!!

10. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Fantastic news! [​IMG] [​IMG]

But who to take over from Forest Whitaker, presuming he, like Close, fails to return for the new season? (I hope not)

I suggest that someone checks whether Ronnie Cox or Frank Langella are available! [​IMG]

11. Kevin Grey

Kevin Grey Cinematographer

Whitaker is confirmed to be back for at least part of what is now being dubbed the sixth season.

12. Andy_Bu

Andy_Bu Supporting Actor

ahh, ok this makes much more sense. The "second half of season 6" threw me into confusion.

I can live with the next 10 being season 6 and the final 13 being season 7.

Andy

13. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

Sorry, I wasn't being clear: I meant the seventh season.

14. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Hell yeah.....

I can't wait.. I am glad they are making up their minds and saying season 7 will be it... I agree with what others have said.. wrap things up..... And hell yeah vic better walk scott free...teehee..

R~

15. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    I thought the second half of season 5 (now dubbed as season 6) was supposed to be 8 episodes (not 10).

I'm not sure how I feel about this. On one hand, it's great to get another 13 episodes of the show, but on the other hand, with the way season 5 ended,
    I'd be concerned that they don't have enough material to stretch over 21 more episodes (instead of 8). I will say it is good that he has the whole
    arc worked out ahead of time.

I realize you are probably joking with this comment...but it does make me curious...are there actually people out there that root for Mackey at this point?

16. PhilipG

PhilipG Cinematographer

That's a tough question, because whom can you really root for on The Shield? Maybe Wyms. If Mackey goes down, that'll be a victory for Aceveda/Kavanaugh/Antwon/whomever else, which isn't what we want either (is it?). So I suppose that means I want everyone to get burned at the end, with Claudette becoming mayor, lol. [​IMG]

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

In a way, yes. In a way, no. He's definitely done terrible things but he's also done good things. Since he's the lead of the show, he automatically is the person that the audience roots for even if they know he's wrong. That's why I'm always glad to see him beat Dutch or Aceveda or IAD.

And without derailing the thread, I don't think a police officer should do things like that in reality but it's still cool to see on TV. [​IMG]

18. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Perhaps I'm in the minority, but by the fifth season I found it difficult to root for Mackey and I found myself rooting for Kavanaugh in a big way. I mean, the guy did kill a cop afterall. And something else that's always really bothered me about him is how he always preaches how his family is the most important thing to him, but yet he's a horrible dad. I will say Shane is a much more dispicable person, and always has been......even before he killed Lem.

19. Mikah Cerucco

Mikah Cerucco Cinematographer

One of the things that makes The Shield such compelling drama is the complexity of the characters. Bad people can do good things, and good people can do bad things. So much so that good and bad become subjective assessments depending on how much weight you give to individual actions.

Also, people vary in their ability to acknowledge positive personality traits in "bad" people. For instance, Vic is fiercely loyal as long as it doesn't require him to sacrifice himself (he will, however, risk himself). In his mind, he will go the whole 10 yards for his friends and family -- including doing illegal things for them.

The way I address this internally is I keep hoping he will "shape up". I want society to benefit from his positive traits without having to deal with his negative ones. If it were just a story about a "bad cop" I don't think I'd find it as compelling to watch.