The Shawshank Redemption - 3 Disc R2 SE

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Sten F, Aug 28, 2004.

1. Sten F

Sten F Second Unit

Disc One - Main Feature
    *Audio Commentary by director Frank Darabont
    *Audio Description track
    *English HOH subtitles
    *Theatrical Trailer
    *Biographies
    *Memorable Quotes

Disc Two - Bonus Features
    *Hope Springs Eternal - A look back at Shawshank Redemption (31mins)
    *Shawshank The Redeeming Feature - Mark Kermode hosted C4 documentary (48mins, Anamorphic Widescreen)
    *The Charlie Rose Show with Frank Darabont, Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman (2004 US Broadcast, 42mins)
    *Shawshank Stills Gallery: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Supporting Cast, Tim and Morgan (5mins)
    *Shawshank Storyboards (5:25mins)

Disc Three - Bonus Features: Extended sessions from the interviews featured in the Shawshank The Redeeming Feature documentary, the vintage making-of-featurette and theatrical trailer

*Tim Robbins complete interview (Andy Dufresne, Inmate 37927) (27:21mins)
    *Morgan Freeman interview (Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding) (20:54mins)
    *Bob Gunton interview (Warden Samuel Norton) (37:45mins)
    *William Sadler interview (Heyward, Inmate 32365) (32:24mins)
    *Clancy Brown interview (Capt. Byron Hadley) (15:41mins)
    *Behind-the-scenes (9:23mins)
    *Theatrical Trailer (Full Screen)

[​IMG]

I believe this has to be the overall best release to get. Better than the Region 1 Limited Edition.

2. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I'm not sure.

As this release is not from Warner (they don't hold the rights in the UK), it could be that only the extra features from the upcoming R1 edition were licensed from them, and not the actual transfer elements. The dvd released in the UK previously looked pretty horrible.....

Still, it's just a possiblity, and because of its okay price I've currently pre-ordered the UK 3 disc set - and if it's not as good as the R1, reselling will be virtually without cost.

3. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

I'm going with the R1 limited 3-disc version and swapping the soundtrack for this bonus disc... I just have to figure out a way to obtain this on it's own now.

4. andrew markworthy

I've checked the HMV U.K. site, and it has the 3-disc SE advertised. It gives all of the specs given above and also lists the following:

Widescreen 1.85:1 Anamorphic

Dolby Digital 5.1 / Dolby Digital DTS 5.1 / Dolby Digital 2.0

Incidentally, if you go to the amazon UK site you'll find an illustration of the interior cover art that's different from the one given in this thread (instead of the monochrome picture on one of the inner sleeves there's a colour scrapbook) - this may be due to a page being folded back on itself or could mean the producers changed their mind late in the day. With possible alternative cover art in mind, it might be worth looking here as well.

All other retailers I looked at had either the same or (usually) far less information.

Assuming HMV's info on the soundtrack options is correct, then I'd hazard a guess that the R2 disc will have a remastered picture (DTS isn't an option on the current R2 disc and it'd be extraordinary to remaster the sound and not the picture). Plus, if the R2 distributors are offering all the other extras on the R1 disc and then some, why would they skimp on the movie itself?

5. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

man, I would much rather have this set the the Ultimate set from region 1.

I assume the 2 first discs are the same between regions, it just what bonus disc is included (soundtrack or a tv feature)?

I have a region free player, but keep hearing about PAL speedup? anyone here tell me what that is or know a good link or should I ask in another part of the forum?

6. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

PAL speed-up is the difference "you" hear between NTSC and PAL. And again, I say "you" because not everyone can hear it. It's approx a 4% speed-up. Personally I hear it but you be the judge.

7. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Thanks CraigL. I also found a discussion thread about speedup. sounds like I would probably notice it on this disc as I watch it once-twice a year and know it fairly well.

8. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Anyone in the UK picked this up early? I noticed Play has it in stock (though my copy hasn't shipped yet).

9. ian trigg

ian trigg Auditioning

We got them into work on wednesday, I've checked it out a bit quick, I'd say it's worth picking up, great booklet with it too, 24 pages! And only £14.99 with 12.5% staff discount on top of that, bargain!

10. andrew markworthy

Got it and taken a quick look. Definitely a better picture and sound. Extras are considerable (though I think a third disc of interviews is possibly a bit of an overkill). There is also (for once) a genuinely informative and entertaining booklet.

11. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

I received it today, and while I was impressed by the overall package, I was a little underwhelmed by the picture quality. Sure, it looked good enough and they've certainly re-transfered it, but it didn't quite have the sharpness and warm colors I was expecting.....

The new 2004 Warner trailer on disc 1 looked better, actually (it was wrongly encoded though), which implies I may have guessed right in post 2 of this thread....

Where's Gary Tooze when you need him... [​IMG]

12. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Anyone else seen this (r2) and would like to add their opinion of the transfer?

13. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Just another note from the same guy... [​IMG]

I forgot to mention this earlier, but a fairly distracting artifact occurs when someone with a striped shirt appears - something pretty common in a prison movie I might add. Some sort of strange rainbow aliasing artifact, for lack of a better expression....

14. Jean-Michel

Jean-Michel Supporting Actor

Is the DTS track definite?

15. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

You're probably seeing a moire effect. It's especially annoying on interlaced displays, and is indeed often caused by wardrobe (here is an example).

16. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Yes

Thanks for that Marko.

17. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I requested Gary take a look at it in his thread. For me, it's a close call between the R1 Deluxe 2-disc w/soundtrack and this one. Either way, I can finally get rid of the bare-bones release!

18. Peter Svensson

Peter Svensson Second Unit

Does anyone know if there´s a different transfer and audio soundtrack for the new 3 disc UK edition? Someone thinks that it´s a new remastered transfer and someonelse think it´s not, but do someone know for sure if it is or not?

I own the Japanese release with DTS, but I´m wondering if I should upgrade to the R2UK edition? I´m only talking about improvements regarding A/V, extras are not interesting to me.