Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss

The Shape of Water Blu-ray Review
Screen-Shot-2017-07-19-at-10.44.07-AM-1024x566.jpg

The Shape of Water is del Toro’s most sure-handed film and his most assured direction. He demonstrates a delighting command of story, characters, and period details. The unfolding of his ‘Beauty and the Beast’ story is flawlessly explored. The film earns its R rating, which itself is something of a surprise. In a world where studios push for as wide an audience and market as possible, aiming for the coveted PG-13 rating. So the spurning of toning things down here is most welcome and it pays off.

[review]

Last edited:

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Unusual film, but I ended up enjoying it. Definitely thought provoking and the performances are excellent.

Neil, one thing I found interesting were all the references to Fox musicals of the 40s, Betty Grable, Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda. Did del Toro discuss this at all?

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Unusual film, but I ended up enjoying it. Definitely thought provoking and the performances are excellent.

Neil, one thing I found interesting were all the references to Fox musicals of the 40s, Betty Grable, Alice Faye and Carmen Miranda. Did del Toro discuss this at all?

Joel - there’s a very brief comment in the Dance sequence feature, but nothing beyond that, sadly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks