What's new

The Shadow, The Commitments OAR on new releases? (1 Viewer)

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor
I see that there are upcoming re-releases of The Shadow and The Commitments. Does anyone know if the aspect ratio has been corrected on these discs?

Or is just a standard reissue with a lower MSRP?

Thanks!

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Hope so, been wanting to pick up Shadow for awhile, same with Sudden Death. And while we're at it, an anamorphic transfer of Happy Gilmore would be welcome too.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I am anxious to see The Commitments in its OAR. It is a travesty that this was originally released in fullscreen.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
I'm also wondering about The Shadow...if this a new release, it should be anamorphic and with the DTS track included.

Another film on the list was Timecop which is waaaaay overdue in its OAR in Region One.

Anyone else know if these are simply re-releases of the same old discs? I'm guessing that they are with the prices simply lowered.

Declan

Second Unit
Theres a SpEd of The Commitments (we need the Snapper and if they have time; The Van released as well) out in Germany I think with a commentry by Alan Parker, anamorphic w/s, 5.1 (yes), a load of music vids and a documentry (i think).

Kenneth English

Second Unit
Sorry guys -- those "re-releases" you see are simply price-drops.

The Shadow -- drops to $14.99 MSRP eff. 8/12.
The Commitments -- drops to $14.99 eff. 8/19.

Bummer, huh? :frowning:

P.S. Info from DavisDVD.com

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Since The Commitments was released today, can anyone confirm that it's the same full-screen DVD as the previous release? I wasn't able to find it in any of the local stores.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
I was hoping myself-the copies I looked at today @ $9.99 were PAN & SCAN.
I believe at a FOX chat TC was mentioned for a future SE...dont remember the time frame
Deep Discount mistakenly has this listed as WS 1.85...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Confimed. The version on the streets as of 8/19 is the old Pan & Scan. It was in the 'on-sale' rack at the Virgin MegaStore I was in yesterday.

Harry

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
That's just ridiculous. They "re-release" the Commitments DVD in that same old pathetic PS transfer? Why even bother?

Another movie I adore that I won't purchase. How irritating.

John Koehler

Stunt Coordinator
The Shadow is definitely cramped in its DVD P&S issue. Although not an anamorphic lensed picture, director Mulcahy used the full side-to-side 1.85 frame for all his shots. The stunning CGI period street scenes really open up on the widescreen laserdisc.

Another reason to keep my LD player in good repair! That Goldsmith score is a knockout!

Mike_Skill

Stunt Coordinator
I think if I could have ANY movie remastered with OAR and a DTS or at least a quality DD 5.1 track it would be 'The Commitments'. An S.E. better be in the works. If a studio feels there's enough of a fan base to pull the title for a re-release with a price-drop, than that title should also warrant a re-do.

Joel C

Screenwriter
Man, every time I see this topic come up, I get annoyed about the P&S Shadow DVD. It's one of my favorite "fun" movies, and the DVD always looks wrong to me. I'd order the R2 edition, but it's expensive and I hate PAL speedup.

R. Kay

Second Unit
What was the point of Fox re-releasing 'The Commitments' with the same ol' transfer?

If the R2 has Widescreen, why not US & Canada?

Big dissapointment for I love this movie.

Surprised, for Fox was getting their shiite together with OAR

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks