What's new

International The Seventh Seal on 4K UHD disc (BFI). (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
On October 18th BFI will release The Seventh Seal on 4K disc. This will be the BFI's first 4k disc and the info on the extras will be available at a later date. One of my favorite Bergman films and one wonders if Criterion might also release this on 4K?

1628215152266.png

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Great news! Since the renowned British Film Institute finally has decided to try a UHD disc of a classic film, Criterion is now left as the sole significant boutique publisher of arthouse and cult films without a single UHD release - which makes it even more likely that their rumoured autumn UHD debut will materialise.

BFI has recently released several superb, remastered region B-locked blu-rays, based on native 4K masters (La Belle et La Bête, La Haine), which are far superior to Criterion's dated masters. Their decision to release 4K UHD discs (which are region-free), will give them an opportunity to selll to the American and Canadian market.

The Seventh Seal is one of the key films, I keep returning to. The first time I saw it, was on Criterion's CAV laserdisc. The last time I saw it was the week before Norway locked down for the COVID pandemic, 12th March last year. The themes in the film about the oncoming apocalypse and the quest to have achieved one noble deed on Earth before Death comes to collect, has never had a greater significance - all the audience were profoundly affected. The 4K master Criterion used in their box set was noticeably better than their first blu-ray effort, so I'm very confident that a UHD of this master will display even more refined nuances to Gunnar Fischer's gorgeous black and white cinematography.

titch

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Have my Criterion CLV laserdisc and did enjoy the Peter Cowie commentary.

View attachment 107503
The Peter Cowie commentary for The Seventh Seal was one of the first commentaries on laserdisc I'd listened to. It's one of the best film commentaries out there and really helped me understand the themes and symbolism in the film. Cowie said himself that seeing Ingmar Bergman’s The Seventh Seal changed his life and was responsible for his career as a film critic. The idea that someone could bare his soul on screen and communicate his fears, doubts, and aspirations literally stunned him. Before watching this film, he had experienced cinema as a spectacle he watched with his parents every Saturday. After watching this film, he remembered talking for an hour with his father about it. He later became good friends with Bergman. Few films being released today would have that sort of impact on a young person.

Malcolm Bmoor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
I don't know whether there are alternative soundtracks but the only times I've tried to watch the film I've been totally alienated by the dead, lifeless, expressionless and unatmospheric post synced dialogue. It dates from a time when most European films weren't recorded 'live' and I derive no pleasure from them.

It's my experience that a majority of actors, when replacing dialogue (either their own or somebody else's) recorded during action on location have to be strongly persuaded against sitting very close to the mic and speaking quietly and non-committedly.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
The Peter Cowie commentary for The Seventh Seal was one of the first commentaries on laserdisc I'd listened to. It's one of the best film commentaries out there and really helped me understand the themes and symbolism in the film. Cowie said himself that seeing Ingmar Bergman’s The Seventh Seal changed his life and was responsible for his career as a film critic. The idea that someone could bare his soul on screen and communicate his fears, doubts, and aspirations literally stunned him. Before watching this film, he had experienced cinema as a spectacle he watched with his parents every Saturday. After watching this film, he remembered talking for an hour with his father about it. He later became good friends with Bergman. Few films being released today would have that sort of impact on a young person.
For me, "Les Quatre Cents Coups" had the same effect. I did see "T7thS" in college and was stunned by it, having never seen anything quite so profound.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Here are the extras that will be on the disc. Website Zavvi has it for $28 plus shipping.

• 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) (Region ABC)
  • High Definition Blu-ray (Region B)
  • Newly recorded audio commentary on The Seventh Seal by film critic and editor-in-chief of Diabolique magazine, Kat Ellinger
  • Karin’s Face (1983, 15 mins): Ingmar Bergman’s short film based on pictures from his personal photo album, particularly those of his mother, Karin
  • Behind the scenes footage from The Seventh Seal (1956, 15 mins): rare silent footage with optional audio commentary by film scholar Ian Christie
  • Original trailer
  • **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Illustrated booklet with essay by Jessica Kiang

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well since Criterion is now supporting UHD since this thread was posted, this may come up next year.

Probably doesn't need Dolby Vision though. Its a black and white film for chrissake.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abbazabba
Recent bookmarks