What's new

The Sessions quick review (1 Viewer)

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's pretty hard to tell a story that so directly involves sex as much as "The Sessions" without someone taking it as a film that is just designed to entice that kind of audience. Yes, there is plenty of fully nude Helen Hunt. But putting that aside, this is a film that is a surprisingly effective telling of the difficulties in finding confidence/love of people who suffer with real disabilities.

I found it effective, moving, funny. Based on the life story of Mark O'Brien, it changes a bit from his articles but the heart of this story really hits home. The dialog is at times witty and funny, Macy and Helen Hunt are both fantastic. Helen Hunt delivers one of the most gutsy, touching performances I've ever seen an actress deliver. This is a difficult role and she plays it incredibly well.

A solid "A"

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Four stars from me as well. A truly terrific and touching film with a great sense of humor. Hawkes was simply amazing in the picture and especially since he had so little to work with. He's pretty much in an iron lung or under the covers for the majority of the running time so he just has his head to work with. I found the relationship between the two to be incredibly touching but so were the other relationships he had but you don't fully "get" them until then end when they really hit home. Hunt was also great and it's strange to see that several actresses swear off nudity in their youth but then go all in when they're older.
I'm glad to see this is a hit for this type of movie but it's sad this type of film struggles to find a wide audiance but I'm sure most of the mainstream types would be put off by the nudity and sex in an ADULT movie.
Still, people should certainly check it out if it comes close.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Michael Elliott said:
Hawkes was simply amazing in the picture and especially since he had so little to work with.
Thanks to years of really excellent guest starring spots on TV shows, I've been a fan of John Hawkes for years. Since his role on Deadwood and in Winter's Bone, it's been nice to see him getting more recognition and bigger roles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks