The "service technician" just came to see my wega and...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Weingar, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Michael Weingar

Well, I'm not satisfied. Although I asid I wasnt going to call for service regarding my KV-32FV300's uneven brightness problem, I broke down and did. Anyway, the loud obnoxious service "technician" after fiddling with my black level, white level and all that through the user menu, as well as fliping between picture modes, he loudly exclaimed that my TV was "WITIN TOLERANTS"

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Michael: As far as I know, Sony hasn't even acknowledged the problem. Try to live with the problem if it isn't severe enough. Nearly all WEGA owners here have experienced the uneven brightness, which is only apparent when the image being shown is completely dark. JB

3. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Jack, I can see your point. Sony hasn't acknowledged the problem, no one likes to but their head against a brick wall, and none of us relish the thought of multiple, possibly inept techs, who's qualifications you can only speculate on, mucking about with our sets.
    But like you said the fact remains nearly all WEGA owners here have experienced the uneven brightness...
    If nobody complains and repeatedly calls for warranty service, Sony will likely never acknowledge the problem.

4. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    Actually guys, I believe that Sony *has* acknowledged the uneven brightness problem and has issued a service bulletin concerning the "coil" that should be replaced to correct it. It is posted somewhere on their service website - I've read it. I had my KV-32FS12 "repaired" under warranty for this problem, although the coil replacement had no impact that I could see. Adjusting SBRT in the service menu and tweaking black level was much more effective.

And for what it's worth, my experience with the authorized Sony service techs was very simliar to yours Michael. These guys could have just as easily been there to repair my water heater. Very little knowledge, very unprofessional and very useless. I had the distinct feeling that I knew a lot more about the television than they did.

5. Jack Briggs

You know, Doug, I believe you're right now that I think about it. Michael might want to contact Sony's general service number and plan on being persistent.

6. Michael Weingar

Thanks guys.
    The second service technician came today, with a generator and he saw it too, but he really, honeslty thought that there was nothing to do about it, and that it really was not worth it to open up the set. Fine.... I will live with it. This purchase is supposed to bring me joy, not anguish. I don't need an ulcer over a freeking box! At any rate, at least it is not a true pain in the ass. I WOULD however like to find out what the replacement register for for Y-DC is for the FV300range of wegas. I don't have a Y-DC register and I have practically NO shadow detail, some scenes are so dark I can barely see whats happening. I have calibrated it with avia using the black bars/half grey. If i use the black bars half white, the picture looks foggy, and when using the squueze, i get the black squeeze bars, and then the dingy grey scanned bars. [​IMG]

7. Jack Briggs

Tell you what:

Make a list of the issues you're having with this set, and write them down in order of importance. Then post the list here, and we will tackle them together (you and the rest of us) one by one.

I can tell you that my WEGA leaves much to be desired, but life's all about compromises and trade offs.

But make that list, and we can then take issue individually in this thread and help you dial in that Sony. (And let me warn you, post-calibrated direct-view WEGAs do look dark in a well-lit room.)

8. Michael Weingar

Thank you Jack and others, You are all very kind.
    1. Shadow Detail- I would like some. Everything is BLACK BLACK BLACK. I want to adjust the DC restoration to 0, But I don't have such a parameter, unless it is marked as something else. My brightness is @73% using Avia as my reference.
    2. Uneven Brightness. I am giving up on this one. It's not so bad, and my sanity is worth more to me than an evenly bright screen.
    Other than this, I like my set.
    Thanks again for you help everyone![​IMG]

9. Jim A. Banville

Jim A. Banville Supporting Actor

10. Jack Briggs

Michael, that black-level ("brightness") setting seems terribly high.

When you calibrated with AVIA, did you do so in a darkened room? Rule of thumb should be that calibration occurs in darkness.

What is your white level ("contrast") setting?

I know it's difficult to say precisely, because Sony's menus contain adjustment-bar graphics without numerical readings.

Here's a basic litmus test I use:

Play a movie that has been 16:9-encoded (that's "anamorphic") and has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. Do you see another set of "bars" sandwiching the picture? You shouldn't if the set is properly calibrated. There should be a seamless black from the active picture area (i.e., anything within the 16:9 window) to the unused portion of the screen.

Now, Michael, if, after calibration, the set looks dark to you, that's normal. But if you watch the set in a darkened environment and allow yourself to get used to the picture, it should seem "correct." Give your eyes time to adjust, and you will notice the picture detail.

None of this applies during daylight viewing conditions, however.

If it's that important to you, you might want to use one of the other picture modes for daylight viewing (I'm assuming you calibrated in the "Movie" mode). But if you opt for one of the other settings (go with "Standard"), absolutely make sure the white and black levels aren't in overdrive mode.

Play with the set tonight and during the weekend and post your results. I'll be checking in at HTF throughout the weekend.

Good luck.

11. Michael Weingar

Jack,
    My contrast is set in the middle. My brightness is set to about 73% (47 out of 64 bars)And yes, I have calibrated the tv at night in total darkness. I used the black bars/half gray pattern, and followed the directions exactly. Right bar to be seen, left bar to be barely seen. By the way, these double bars only happen some of the time, it is not a constant mismatch of "black" between the scanned portion and the squeezed portion.I get the grayish bars sometimes in dark scenes. There is no way I could possibly go any lower on the black level. If i were to do so, I would not be able to see too much on the screen during darker scenes. And yes, I have calibrated the set in Movie mode. My SBRT is set at 14 in the service menu. I f I were to lower it, I would only habe to raise the brightness to near 80% in the user menu, and then I am back where I started.

12. lee.b

lee.b Stunt Coordinator

First time poster here with several points/questions. I have been looking for a tv to replace my 19 year old mitsubishi 25" console. It really is a surprisingly vivid picture when proper adjustments are made. I almost hate to replace, which I'll try to address later.

I've been looking for the best 27" I can get (without hd stuff)and I suppose it is, indeed, the sony fv300. The comments I've read here and elsewhere concerning the purple/pink tint stuff going on in the corner really concerns me. To be sure, maybe its only a minority that take the time to post and post negative things on these forums and product review sites. Maybe 98% of all users don't have the problems. I don't know.

But why do I feel like I might actually be trading in for a 1.worse picture, and 2.a problem-laden tv, when i consider losing the mitsubishi for this fv300?

The real reason for wanting the new tv is to get stereo, and the proper tools for viewing my newly acquired sony dvd at full strenght (component out). Since I had to buy an rf modulator...I'm told my signal is much degraded (albeit better than vhs)from even the composite out of a new tv. More importantly, I can only view the original 36 channels on the tv, when my vcr is out of the 'loop'.

So, questions...is it really going to be a nightmare if I lose my mitsubishi, or is the picture improvement going to be a no-brainer even with a flaw here or there? And, why..when I view tv and dvd on my mother's 3 year old kv32v68, does is seem like things aren't as vivid compared to my mitsubishi? It's almost as if I'm looking through deep glass when I view hers, while mine is sharper. Is it because hers is 32"? Or does my old mitsubishi retain some characteristic that the new tvs don't have - even though it has no comb filters etc etc, that make it appealing to view?

I have more to say, but that is enough for this first post. Thanks in advance to any that can shed light on this.

13. lee.b

lee.b Stunt Coordinator

Another post, another question.

I understand the kv300 has the 16:9 thing. Are you folks saying that when that is used, the picture gets black bars, not only on top and bottom, but also on the sides (almost making a square)? Thanks for clarification on that.

Now, an observation. Looked at kv300, for umpteenth time yesterday. Local store had that and a kv100 about ten feet away from it. As I stated previously, I wanted the 'best' picture/product I can get in this price range, so I dismissed, previously, the kv100. But...

Even though it shouldn't have - the kv100 picture was noticeably better than the dv300 in this store. The salesman tried to adjust the 300..didn't make a difference. We were viewing the endleses 'sony promo loop' - the one that has hot air balloons etc.

Now I know the kv300 has features that are supposed to give a better picture - 3d filter, instead of 3line, and so on. So, again, I was disappointed when I couldn't qualify this occurence. Perhaps I would've just bought the kv100..but I don't think I can handle it because the sound isn't as good, and there might have been another feature it missed. So, confusion. Thanks in advance for comments.

14. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

Lee, First welcome to the HTF!

15. Jack Briggs

Another welcome to Lee, and, yes, why not post your query separately, and we'll have a go at it.

Michael, now I'm a little stumped. That you can barely see the images with your brightness and contrast settings at so high a level makes me wonder if perhaps you do have a defective unit, even given the unit-to-unit variations among the same makes and models. I wish I could see what's going on in person.

Is it too late to exchange the Sony for another unit?

16. Michael Weingar

yeah. its too late. But I realy dont think that this is a defective unit. It just seems not to be able to hold black level. I adjusted the SBRT in the service menu to 20, and now the user level brightness is less than half. It is the black level hold that is stumping me. Dark scenes, and ! You have the double black bars again.

17. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

The Service Tech topic of this thread attracted me. As I may need to call one myself during my 30-day window on a Sony. I did a minimal calibration to good effect with my VE disc on a GWI, but am not having luck with the GWII. I have an itch to enter service menu to try some posted tweaks from AVS forum but need in depth guidance (and dictionary) on the ‘general topic’ of calibrations and test patterns.

Is anyone aware of a link/s to tutorials on understanding the usage of all of the test patterns on Calibration discs? (my copy is VE). Many of these screens are not explained (listed for service tech use) or sometimes inadequately to the task for this novice.
    I would like to understand each of them, their optimum look when a display is on the mark and interpretations of what is occurring when they are off.

18. lee.b

lee.b Stunt Coordinator

thanks for welcome, folks. Heeded your advice and reposted queries in new thread. thanks again.