The Searchers (1956)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Title: The Searchers

Tagline: He had to find her... he had to find her...

Genre: Western

Director: John Ford

Cast: John Wayne, Jeffrey Hunter, Vera Miles, Natalie Wood, Ward Bond, John Qualen, Olive Carey, Henry Brandon, Ken Curtis, Harry Carey Jr., Antonio Moreno, Hank Worden, Beulah Archuletta, Walter Coy, Dorothy Jordan, Pippa Scott, Patrick Wayne, Lana Wood, Mae Marsh, Ruth Clifford

Release: 1956-05-07

Runtime: 119

Plot: As a Civil War veteran spends years searching for a young niece captured by Indians, his motivation becomes increasingly questionable.

Unbelievably I finally got around to watching The Searchers for the first time yesterday after being in my collection for years Unwatched.

What an amazing film. Stunning photography, great acting...especially by John Wayne. Ahead of its time story dealing with themes of racism violence and more.

It's images and story are stuck in my head. Time to seek out more John Ford/Wayne westerns.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Next up is Stagecoach (which I just purchased). Then the Cavalry trilogy (which I just ordered). :)

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I saw The Searchers when it came out in '56. Needless to say, a lot of it went over my head, but I remember liking it. I'm sure I saw it again during my growing years, but my last memory of seeing it on a big screen is a wedded to a great personal story and to a great film loss. It was August 4, 1976 at the Carnegie Hall Cinema, run at that time by my friend Larry Chadbourne. The 35mm Technicolor print of The Searchers was breathtaking and in perfect shape. My first daughter was born the next day. Larry told me that the Warner exchange people came by on that same day to pick up the beautiful print of The Searchers to deliver it to the junk yard. Gone, forever. Not to an archive, but to the trash. My daughter was born; The Searchers died.
Tino, you can't go wrong with Ford/Wayne.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Other than the four I mentioned, any other recommendations?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I saw The Searchers when it came out in '56. Needless to say, a lot of it went over my head, but I remember liking it. I'm sure I saw it again during my growing years, but my last memory of seeing it on a big screen is a wedded to a great personal story and to a great film loss. It was August 4, 1976 at the Carnegie Hall Cinema, run at that time by my friend Larry Chadbourne. The 35mm Technicolor print of The Searchers was breathtaking and in perfect shape. My first daughter was born the next day. Larry told me that the Warner exchange people came by on that same day to pick up the beautiful print of The Searchers to deliver it to the junk yard. Gone, forever. Not to an archive, but to the trash. My daughter was born; The Searchers died.
Tino, you can't go wrong with Ford/Wayne.
Why was it trashed?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Own The Quiet Man. Great film. One of my wife's faves. Will check out Liberty Valance.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tino, I just saw Liberty Vallance for the first time about a month ago - outstanding movie. I think you'll like it.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Unbelievably I finally got around to watching The Searchers for the first time yesterday after being in my collection for years Unwatched.

What an amazing film. Stunning photography, great acting...especially by John Wayne. Ahead of its time story dealing with themes of racism violence and more.

It's images and story are stuck in my head. Time to seek out more John Ford/Wayne westerns.
This is my all-time favorite film! I try to watch it in its entirety, once a year. Anyhow, the other day I was channel surfing and noticed it was on HDNET Movies and viewed the ending once again. IMO, that closing scene is one of the greatest closing scenes in cinematic history. The closing of the door while Ethan walks away from it, represents so much and speaks volumes about that character.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Any particular order these films should be watched?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Any particular order these films should be watched?
May I suggest the following order on the Westerns:

Stagecoach
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Grande
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Note: Because he plays a younger man in Rio Grande, I prefer to watch that before She Wore a Yellow Ribbon even though the latter film was filmed and released first.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Also, Wayne was Kirby York in Fort Apache and was Kirby Yorke with an e on the end in Rio Grande. He played Nathan Brittles in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon.

Lee Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lee F. Smith
This is my all-time favorite film! I try to watch it in its entirety, once a year. Anyhow, the other day I was channel surfing and noticed it was on HDNET Movies and viewed the ending once again. IMO, that closing scene is one of the greatest closing scenes in cinematic history. The closing of the door while Ethan walks away from it, represents so much and speaks volumes about that character.

My favorite movie.

Although it is a B western, I would recommend Tall in the Saddle. But, it is definitely second tier John Wayne.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
My favorite movie.

Although it is a B western, I would recommend Tall in the Saddle. But, it is definitely second tier John Wayne.
Don't get me started about that title. It's probably my second favorite Wayne film. I think Ella Raines has a little to do with that.;)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
May I suggest the following order on the Westerns:

Stagecoach
Fort Apache
She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
Rio Grande
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

Note: Because he plays a younger man in Rio Grande, I prefer to watch that before She Wore a Yellow Ribbon even though the latter film was filmed and released first.
Awesome. Thanks Robert. Just ordered the bottom four yesterday arriving tomorrow. [emoji106]

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks