The Searchers: Special Edition (is there a possibility?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carrol, Feb 14, 2003.

1. Carrol

Carrol Agent

Has anyone heard any rumblings about a possible SE of Ford's THE SEARCHERS? It seems like it was brought up at a studio day (dvdfile.com) several years ago and of course, nothing surfaced.

I figure since Warner Bros. has revisited so many of their early dvd's lately, and are seemingly continuing to do so (w/forthcoming SE's of MEAN STREETS, GOODFELLAS, et al.) I wondered if this title is in the pipeline.

Thanks,
    Carrol

2. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

Considering The Searchers was an early dvd release, and is one of the crown jewels of the Warner catalogue, it would seem a prime candidate for one of those spiffy Warner 2-disc SE's. One can only hope. The original dvd looks really, really terrible.

3. Rain

Rain Producer

I started a thread some time ago in Feedback asking about possible SEs for Casablanca and The Searchers. It sounds like Casablanca might be happening anyway.

Of all the westerns I've seen, this is still the best. And one of Wayne's best performances. Fantastic movie.

A SE would be very, very nice.

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

I will second that

[​IMG]

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

I'm all for a special edition for one of my favorite films of all-time, but I beg to differ that the original dvd looks really, really terrible.

Crawdaddy

6. andrew markworthy

Just to back up Robert's comment - the transfer seems okay to me. It's not top of my list of demonstration discs, but nor is it awful.

Be that as it may, a SE of The Searchers would be sweet - but not before The Big Country gets the restoration it deserves.

7. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Supporting Actor

Robert, perhaps I was a bit harsh. I should have said: "There are several scenes on the Searchers dvd that look really, really terrible." I was thinking mainly of this scene when I made my comment:

[​IMG]

Everything has a wierd "out of phase" look in this scene, among others. I'm not sure quite how to describe it.

8. Rain

Rain Producer

Considering the stature of this film, I think the current DVD is quite a mess.

Among other things, the transfer quality is very inconsistent throughout, ranging from tolerable to pretty darn terrible, IMHO.

The transfer problems on this DVD seem to be very similar to the Canada-only DVD of Giant.

A SE of The Searchers would easily go the very top of my purchase priorities.

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Another slight overstatement in my opinion. First off, I would love a special edition of this film because the film deserves it. Secondly, when this disc was released during the early days of the dvd format in 1997, it was considered pretty damn good at the time. However, based on the many fine dvd presentations that have been released over the last year or so, it would be nice that Warner revisited this excellent film and give it the same type of treatment it's giving other films since the restoration and dvd transfer processes have come a long way since 1997.

Crawdaddy

10. Mitch Kaufman

That weird out-of-phase look seems to be misregistration (which I'd guess was caused by differential shrinkage of the b&w separations).

The Searchers was one of the glories of the laserdisc catalog, and in this era of the digital restorations, it's hard to appreciate how stunning the disc looked when it came out. Compared to most of the scratchy, blurry, faded TV prints, it really was a revelation. The DVD appears to have derived from the digital tape used for the laser issue.

Now that the state of the art has presumably advanced, I'd like to see an updated transfer as much as the next guy. Given that it's Warner's, I only hope that they don't let LDI zap it with their digital grain suckout machine.

MK

11. Rain

Rain Producer

12. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    While a nice release for its day, I agree that the quality of this DVD is lacking by 2003 standards. The misregistration or whatever that causes the thick blue lines around objects in some of the scenes is quite distracting. Hopefully Warner Brothers has plans for a SE remaster that will look fantastic.

13. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

I think this looks like a job for Ultra-Resolution...

...and I'm curious: both this and the Canadian DVD of Giant are said to have this problem, so does anyone think this problem might plague ALL WarnerColor films?

14. Mitch Kaufman

The Searchers was a "Technicolor" (and VistaVision) film, I believe shot on Eastman stock. I don't believe Giant was WarnerColor either.

MK

15. Nick Senger

Nick Senger Stunt Coordinator

The Searchers is the next film on my greatest films list for me to buy, but I'm hesitating after reading some of the above comments. I've also read in other places that the dvd is not OAR, that it's just a cropped version of the pan and scan. I can deal with a sub-par transfer, but I won't buy anything with a modified aspect ratio.

Has the film's aspect ratio been altered? Should I hold out for a special edition?

16. Jeffrey Gray

Jeffrey Gray Second Unit

The Searchers is a VistaVision movie, so it's probably misframed (remember the North by Northwest widescreen laser?) I suspect that the LD probably was, too, as it had an AR of about 2:1...

Wait for an SE; I'm sure it'll come within 2-3 years...

17. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The print I saw on TCM has excellent color and only minor ringing. I didn't see much in the way of print damage, either. I can't say much for detail, grain, or digital quality since it's a TV transfer.

We've come quite a way since 1997, so a remaster probably wouldn't be terrible.

18. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

I remember the RUSH I got when I first bought and watched THE SEARCHERS restored LD. I was on a high for days. I recently rented the DVD and noticed that I didnt feel the same magic-in fact, I wondered, how could I have gotten so turned on by a what now looks to be a so-so-transfer,
    So, yes WB bring on a RM-SE.

And while youre at it, hows about a 16x9 SE of THE WILD BUNCH?
    While a decent transfer, I cant believe that it came out flat.

19. Rain

Rain Producer

While the current disc is nothing stunning, I don't think there is a problem with the framing.

20. Joshua_Y

Joshua_Y Screenwriter

I have the original release and saw nothing wrong given the age of the film, but an SE would be very very welcome!