What's new

The Search For Welles Cut of "The Magnificent Ambersons" TCM 2022 (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

Turner Classic Movies is teaming with Joshua Grossberg to finish his documentary on the search for what many film historians consider the “Holy Grail”: Welles’ original preview workprint of the film, his follow-up to the iconic 1941 Citizen Kane that got him fired by RKO Studios after reportedly disastrous test screenings. The studio then took control, cut 43 minutes and shot new scenes including a new ending, all without the approval or input of its director. The original excised footage was melted down for its nitrate for use in World War II.

DVBRD

Second Unit
Real Name
Andy
While I'm not holding my breath, a part of me hopes that Grossberg and TCM succeed in their quest. Given the hell we've been going through for over a year, we all need to hope for miracles, even for something with insurmountable odds like finding the lost reels of Ambersons.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I viewed the same info on website Wellesnet yesterday and can't wait to see the documentary on the quest to be shown on TCM next year. Chances are very slim in finding the cans of film in Brazil but like finding 16mm reduction negative of Fritz Lang’s original cut of Metropolis in in 2008 and the silent footage from Welles’ 1938 stage production of Too Much Johnson found also in 2008 it could happen.

compson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert
I viewed the same info on website Wellesnet yesterday and can't wait to see the documentary on the quest to be shown on TCM next year. Chances are very slim in finding the cans of film in Brazil but like finding 16mm reduction negative of Fritz Lang’s original cut of Metropolis in in 2008 and the silent footage from Welles’ 1938 stage production of Too Much Johnson found also in 2008 it could happen.

Not to mention the 1981 discovery of a print of the presumed lost original The Passion of Joan of Arc in a cleaning closet of a Norwegian mental hospital. If I live to see the original Ambersons, I will die happy.

AlanP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BAP
How would the missing footage wound up in Brazil ??
9d1398d2694eb8a82eb79e3acb3bb46d.jpg

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
A working print of Ambersons was sent down to Brazil where Orson was filming "It's All True" to look at and make changes. There is a chance that working print is still in Brazil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snaves