What's new

The scoop on the Xbox S-Controller (1 Viewer)

Dan B

Screenwriter
Gamespy has an article detailing the new S-controller, pricing, availability, and more http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/march02/xboxcontrollersLink RemovedLink Removed
-Dan B

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Great news, its always cool to see a rumor confirmed.
Just wanted to add that I will be getting this on launch date of coars ;)

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Stupid name. "S"

Good to see it coming here...though I'd prefer the Japanese buttons.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
S..must have started with the MB S class?....or Jaguar S type?....or Taco Bell's S something.
Then again must be the S in my surname...:D

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Hmmm, looks like the japanese controller to me. Personally, I wish I could see a size comparison of this controller with the regular controller. I'm not surprised by microsoft's latest moves. I've bought two additional controllers, both the mad catz control pad pro. These controllers come and go very quickly from Futureshop and Toys'r'us, while the standard controllers just sit there. Which comes an no surprise to me. What they mention in the gamespy article as being complaints concerning the standard xbox controller, the mad catz addresses already.

Chris_Anders

Stunt Coordinator
I really like the standard controller. I mistakenly bought an "I"? controller for the Xbox, I forgot who makes it, but it blows chunks.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
The "I" controller is made by Interact, and I agree, it does blow chunks. But there are worse (much worse) as far as 3rd party controllers go.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Count me in as someone who has had no problems with the original controllers. Actually, I've tried one of the madcatz ones, and I find the right stick is a bit more of a reach than on the standard-seems like it's due to the wider button spacing.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
Peter,

I can assure you the Mad Catz Xbox controller does not out sell the Microsoft pad. Not even close. You're seeing better re-stocking of the Microsoft pad not a quicker selling Mad Catz pad.

I like the standard pad too. The black and white buttons are a bit hard to reach though. I also feel pain after extended play when reaching for the shoulder buttons.

I ordered the Japanese controller just for something different.

Tim Hess

Second Unit
I've held the 'new' controller. It's the same size as the Japanese one, jsut with adjustments to the Trigger, Buttons and cord legnth (US is 9', JP is 7').

I like the JP one for fighting games, THPS, etc., the US one for the 'other' games.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
I've got large hands, so I'm comfy with the standard controller for extended amounts of time (i.e. late night Halo or Jet Set Radio Future). I'll likely pick up an "S" as my kid brother and wife both prefer something smaller.
Only thing that worries me is that Link Removed (or one of the other bigger X-Box fansites) gave the japanese controller a bad review.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Good. Personally I fnd that the standard controller is very comfortable -but then again, I have fairly large hands.

Good to see that this controller is on it's way stateside.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Camp,

from what i understood in the article they only changed the length of the cord and the shoulder buttons. Oh well, I plan on ordering the grey japanese controller just for something different.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I thought the main action buttons on the US version were changed too. I thought they were like the ones on the original pad.

I might be wrong though

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I think you are wrong Camp....I had to reread the article about five times before settling on my thinking that they only changed the chord length and the trigger buttons. I still plan on getting a grey japanese one though, I think they look kewl.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I received my gray Japanese pad today so I can now compare. I'm making my comparison with this image of the US "S" controller:
Link Removed
The Start and Back buttons are exactly the same as in that picture.
The X, Y, A, & B buttons are very close but there is at least one subtle difference: the button letters (A, B, etc.) in the Japanese version are molded into the button while the "S" version is just like the standard Xbox pad (that is, the letters are underneath the buttons).
In the Japanese pad this creates a very jewel-like effect in the buttons.
The Xbox logo is also reversed in the Jap pad.
The coolest thing about the gray Japanese pad is that the gray has a metallic look to it...very nice.
The cable is shorter than the US version (a big plus for the "S" model).
It is very comfortable...the button layout is 10x better than the standard pad. I have large hands and think I'll end up with a preference for this pad over the standard US pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks