What's new

"The Sci-Fi Channel's Silent Movie Marathon" (1993-1994) (2 Viewers)

JonathanRStrausser

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan R. Strausser
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else remembers a silent movie marathon that aired on "The Sci-Fi Channel" during the Christmas/New Year's of 1993-1994? The marathon was hosted by, Jeffrey Lyons. The following films (I believe) were shown. They are:

"20,000 Leagues Under The Sea"

"Aelita, Queen Of Mars"

"The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari"

"Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde" (Not sure on this one)

"Metropolis" (Color tinted)

"Nosferatu"

"The Thief Of Bagdad" (Not sure on this one)

I believe most (if not all) of the films scores were composed by Christopher Rife. He has done many programs for PBS, Including: "Nova". Oddly, these films are not listed in his credentials. I did approach both he and Mr. Lyons. They both said they had little to no recollection of this marathon. I have also contacted "NBCUniversal", "SyFy Channel" and "The Academy Of Arts & Sciences". Two of them responded to me, while the "SyFy Channel" either "ignored me" or just couldn't answer my question. At the time these films were shown they were owned by "Viacom". Now, "SyFy" is owned by "NBCUniversal".

If anyone else remembers this marathon, please let me know! I wish "Kino-Lorber" and/or "Image Entertainment" would release these versions on DVD/Blu-Ray. The "Metropolis" version was "color-tinted" almost like Giorgio Moroder's version while the rest were in black and white. I think they may have used the "Republic Pictures" laserdiscs from the early 90's (except for "Metropolis") and just re-scored the music. I appreciate your time and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank You,

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
JonathanRStrausser said:
I think they may have used the "Republic Pictures" laserdiscs from the early 90's (except for "Metropolis") and just re-scored the music. I appreciate your time and any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

They would not have used "laserdiscs" for the broadcasts, but might have soured from the same master prints.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks