What's new

The SBS construction page is now up! (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have completed my construction webpage for my most current project, the SBS (Sun Box Sub), which uses the original SVS 12" driver in a conventional boxed enclosure.
Please click here to check it out. I must warn you, it'd be helpful if you were on a fast internet connection because there's over 130 photo links on the page. Enjoy.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Finally I found a site that showed me how to create links that open new windows. Mind if I borrow some of the encoding? :)
That box looks well crafted, you have a lot of information that may prove handy when I start gluing my box together. I'm gonna have to use your idea to cut my PVC pipe.
Thanks for making the site

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Chris, it's pretty basic HTML coding (I'm not into all that purty web coding, just functional with speedy page loads).

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Pat,
Just wanted to mention great work on the sub and the documentation (as usual)! Why last call for questions? Are you closing the thread or something? :)
Brian
P.S. I met Greg Monfort for lunch yesterday! He's pretty cool! Especially for an old dude! ;)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I started this thread late last week, so I wasn't sure if any prospective DIYer had seen it before it scrolled off the front page. Yes, blatant bumping by a mod! Muhahaha!
I met Greg Monfort at the DIY Atlanta 2001 meet last year. Not as old or crusty as I had imagined given how he had described himself over the course of the years. :)

Jon Torres

Second Unit
Okay, you want questions. Why did you use the bracing you you used rather than something similar to adire's design where there's like a cross brace running the length of the enclosure? Also, those 2x2 bracing pieces. Are those really 2inch by 2inch and is it pine? Last question, why did you use 8-32 screws, and not 10-24? Thanks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to keep some form of bracing for every square foot inside the enclosure. My internal bracings on the inside middle areas are pretty tight fitting between brace panels, so I didn't feel the needs for the X-brace on those surfaces.

2x2's are 1.5"x1.5" (probably pine, $2 for a 8 foot section at Home Depot).

I used 8-32 because 10-24 wouldn't fit the rubber gasket ring holes around the SVS driver. I would have used 10-24 if the holes were bigger to accomodate them.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Very well done Pat! I guess my question for you would be what would the sub likely be tuned to provided everything remained the same except that it was a passive sub rather than an active one.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, the volume taken up by the plate amp has very little impact on the tune of the enclosure (except for providing a little more enclosure volume which would lower the tuning frequency very slightly given the existing flared port). I'd guess it'd be almost negligible, still in the neighborhood of 17-18Hz for the tuning frequency.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks