What's new

"The Savage Nation"hits #1 on N.Y.Times list (1 Viewer)

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Ike, it seemed to me that he was referring to all things considered cultural, by the popular definition of "culture". which usually includes everything that people do except the act of eating and sleeping. And people will lump almost everything as "art/pop culture"! (Does anybody define their terms anymore? What the hell is art/pop culture anyways?)

Besides, he was talking about popularity in general: "The whole concept of popularity- the idea of appealing to the largest masses of people possible". Is buying a particular brand of toilet paper pop culture ("Purex: Pillowy Soft")? Or raising your child a certain way because some radio talk show host (pop culture icon!) says you should?

I went with Vince's (broad) definition and ran with it. It made sense, given the subject matter - about rabid politicized radio talk show host who happens to be very popular!

DavidMich

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the real link for this guy:

www.paulreveresociety.com.

The previous links are nothing more than some liberal group's attempt to discredit Mr. Savage.

I would kindly suggest that anyone interested in him or what he has to say; listen to one of his broadcasts (in it's entirety) before being judgmental.

I too, found that I did not agree with some of what he says.
But the more I listen, the more sense he makes.
No one I can think of has such surgical precision in getting right to the problems of our country....and he backs it up with examples (proof). Most people in the media are just talking heads, puppets of the corporate media moguls.......This guy ain't like that. He tells it like it is!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

I don't think the L-word is allowed in this forum. :)

Judging by those soundbites, it doesn't take much to discredit him.

There's nobody out there who "tells it like it is", only their version of what they think it should be like.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Finally there's a voice out there that's not afraid to speak...
On the contrary it seems to me that the world is filled with people that are all too willing to speak with conviction on how they see things. Be it Politics, religion, news, sports, fashion trends or whatever, TV and radio is an overflowing cesspool of people more than willing to spew out their opinions and are not afraid to speak their minds, regardless of of how valid or invalid their views may be. Thus I don't find that mere fact that someone is willing to express their views to be somehow courageous or commendable, these people a dime a dozen.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
Apparently he's on KNST here. I gotta listen to this man and see if he gets me as riled up as Rush did.

Rush refers to himself as a lovable fuzzball. Compared to Savage that is probably an apt comparison. Savage is so far out there that he probably can't be lumped in with Conservatives. Anyone who feels that Bush is gutless and a wimp has some intense opinions.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Be it Politics, religion, news, sports, fashion trends or whatever, TV and radio is an overflowing cesspool of people more than willing to spew out their opinions and are not afraid to speak their minds, regardless of of how valid or invalid their views may be.
Truer words never spoken. Everyone's talking; no one's listening.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
MickeS, fricking hilarious links, thanks! :) What a wack job!
Here's a dumb question, but what does it mean to be a "New York Times Best Seller"? I've seen some pretty awful, forgettable books labeled as such. Is it a daily or weekly list? Is it just one list, or are there different charts, like in Billboard? Does that mean for one day, or one week, it was the top selling book?
To take Vince's analogy up, being #1 on the NYT best seller list is just like being #1 on Billboard's charts with a CD. It means you're selling a lot of copies and making money. It has nothing to do with how good the book is, only how popular.

BTW, Bruce Campbell's book made #19 on the NYT best seller list. Now there's an entertaining read.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I listened to him yesterday during the drive home from work.

He kept praising himself and talking about how popular his show is, and said that he'll soon have a TV show too, that will be "unlike anything ever done in the history of cable television". Somehow I doubt it.

I listened to two callers, one argued that the comparisons made between Hitler and Saddam Hussein were incorrect, because they had different objectives. Savage disagreed. Not a very memorable conversation.

The other caller was telling him how great the show was, but that she didn't like the politics discussions very much, but rather preferred when he talked about his family life and other more personal stuff, and when he gave nutritional advice. He thanked her and promised that the TV show would have lots of that stuff as well.

Maybe I missed the interesting parts, but of the 20 minutes or so I listened he was mostly praising himself and commending himself for being such a great guy. Not the most compelling radio.

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
The show I heard last night MickeS was probably the most low-keyed I've heard from Michael Savage in a year of listening to "The Savage Nation". I think he should really do some research about whether to do the tv show 1 hour on the weekends. Why fix it if it ain't broke? LOL! I'll keep listening to his radio show.

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Reviving this thread because Michael Savage got fired from MSNBC yesterday.

Apparently the caller was just trying to name drop the Don and Mike radio show. Listeners to the Don and Mike show often make fake calls to other shows just to name drop. I'm surprised that Savage (as short tempered as he is) would get so worked up over a crank call. Everybody gets crank calls. You figure a professional would just drop the call and move on.

The guy was narrow minded and egotistical but I still couldn't help listening sometimes in the car when there is nothing else on.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Not like MSNBC didn't get warned repeatedly about what he would do sooner or later, and I doubt they're crying considering how many sponsors pulled their ads from his show

Hunter P

Screenwriter
Reading the article, it sounds like MSNBC didn't care too much about losing him. His ratings were low and not really improving.

Anybody hear his radio show yesterday? I would like to know his spin on what happened.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I hope some Don & Mike fans got that on tape. I'll be hearing it for years. DON AND MIKE RULE!!!

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I won't miss him. He is like Geraldo...if you give him 10 minutes of airtime, he'll ask a 9 minute question. I usually use talk radio as just something to pass the time during the drive...maybe there will be an interesting topic or some unique opinions that'll get me thinking. But with Savage, it was nothing but monotony. Listening to a guy praise himself with every third sentence is boring. I usually only listened to Savage for 5 minutes before I couldn't take it and had to find something interesting.

Bruce

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks