The Sandlot

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Birchall, Jan 9, 2002.

1. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

I picked up Fox's new disc The Sandlot this evening, and thought I would give you guys a quick review--I know this movie has some big fans here.
    I have a modest home theater, with a 32" Sony calibrated to Video Essentials, and am usually not too picky when it comes to the fine details of reviews. I've watched about half of the movie so far, and the picture seems just fine. Haven't detected too much grain or anything, and the colors are nice--this is a colorful movie, and it looks good so far. This is a two-sided disc, one side being widescreen (2.35:1), and the other side being P&S, and of course, I watched the widescreen version.
    Sound-wise, it has a DD 5.1 soundtrack, in addition to English and French Pro Logic soundtracks. I've only listened to the the 5.1 track, and while it sounds good, the action has been mostly limited to the center and front channels, although the sub did kick in a bit during the "Beast" scenes. Not a whole lot going on in the rears.
    For the extras, it's fairly basic. There's a nearly-six minute-long featurette (haven't watched yet), the theatrical trailer, and seven TV spots. That's it. No commentary or anything like that. I have to think that there might not be just a whole lot of supplemental material out there for this one.
    This is the first Fox title I've got that falls under their new "Family Feature" label--I'm guessing that this will be something new from them, similar to what MGM is doing with their "Contemporary Classics" or "Soul Cinema" lines. The Sandlot is due on January 29 along with other films like "Rookie of the Year" and "Baby's Day Out", also in the "Family Feature" line.
    Solid disc--nice picture, adequate soundtrack, decent extras. It's certainly no Moulin Rouge or Fight Club, but a solid disc all around. Not bad for the $14.99 price.
    -mwb-

2. Matt Birchall

Matt Birchall Supporting Actor

Noticed an interesting thing after going back through the disc just now--missed it last night:

Fox has included a new disclaimer that's directly after the FBI warnings when the disc starts up, and right before the menu screen. This is what it says:

"The views expressed in this interviews and commentary are sorely those of the individuals providing them and do not reflect the opinions of Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation, its parent, affiliate, or subsidiary companies."

Anyway, this is the first time I've seen anything like that on a DVD. Kind of curious--I wonder if one particular incident prompted this message. I'm assuming that this is something that we'll see on every Fox DVD from now on, and maybe other studios will follow suit.

-mwb-

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer