The Saint

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kenneth V, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Kenneth V

Kenneth V Stunt Coordinator

Does anybody know if the rest of the Black & White episodes will be released?

2. michael_ks

michael_ks Screenwriter

I keep waiting for A & E to release the remaining 43 episodes. The first twenty-eight have been released as "The Early Years" sets 1 and 2, when A & E back pedaled following the release of all 47 color segments. I think initially they felt sales would not be strong for B&W episodes (and maybe it was proven).

I know Umbrella Entertainment in Australia has released box sets for all 71 B&Ws, but then the series has far more fans among the British colonies. Like so many series that spanned the years 1962-1969 as this one did, the B&W episodes are the best, particularly since the original stories of "Saint" creator Leslie Charteris were used.

3. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

I agree that the black and whites are much better. I thought the show became too similar when it went to color. Has anyone asked A&E what their plans are for the remaining 43?

4. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Actually The Saint ended production in 1968. It was shown in the USA into 1969.

Although I enjoyed the black & white episodes immensely and felt they had the best (although overused) music, I felt the color episodes were better produced, written, and directed overall. The series had a year off in production (the 1965 to 66 season) and the higher quality of the later episodes is evident.

5. Michael Alden

Michael Alden Supporting Actor

You are in the minority in that regard as most people I know who have seen both incarnations of the series much prefer the black and whites. Although maybe rougher around the edges and done more cheaply, the stories were far more varied and interesting.

6. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I may be in the minority on this forum, but probably not among fans of The Saint series.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, Mike. [​IMG]

7. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

I far prefer the black and white shows to the color ones I've seen.

8. Bob Hug

Bob Hug Screenwriter

Just thought I'd post this link for anyone looking for some early B&W episodes of the Saint at a relatively bargain price. HamiltonBook.com has set 2 of the early episodes of "The Saint" for $24.95 plus shipping ($3.50). By comparison, this is going for $41.42 at DeepDiscountDVD.com.

http://www.hamiltonbook.com/hamilton...oducts/5365600

9. Simon Templar

Simon Templar Auditioning

Still no word on the release of any more of The Saint (I guess).

I have the first two black and white seasons and the "Mega-Set" (all of the color episodes).

Hopefully, they will eventually release the rest of the B&W episodes.