What's new

The Saint region 2 sets from Network DVD (1 Viewer)

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone bought The Saint from network dvd in the UK. They have all 71 B&W episodes. I have a dvd player that will play them and they seem to have a lot of extras.

chrisBeckett

Agent
Was going to buy when it hopefully comes down in price. It looks a good set because as you point out it contains all the 71 B&W episodes and has a lot of extras.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
What about here in the USA? :)
A & E put out the first 2 seasons last year, but not the 3rd and 4th, which are also in black & white.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
I have it coming and I'll let you know details as soon as I receive it. As for the U.S., A&E appears to have given up on the ITC releases.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I've been aware of the Umbrella Entertainment (AUS) and Network (ENG) releases for some time, hoping that A&E would release the remaining 43 B&Ws. I'm fairly certain now that will not happen and am tempted to just purchase the 71 episode "monochrome" set. Trouble is, then I have to invest in a region free player in addition to re-purchasing, as it were the 28 episodes I already have.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
My advice is to get the Region-Free player. Most of us here have that 1 or 2 "Holy Grail" TV series that's not (yet?) available in R1. I went ahead and got the player for that reason. I only have 2 PAL sets in my collection but another looks like it's on the way ("Honey West"). I held off on getting the A&E Saint sets to see if they would release the entire series in R1. As both "Michael's" said it well, who knows when/if they'll get completed in R1. The toughest thing, to me, about collecting TV/DVD is the unknown factor. Are they working on R1's, are they permamently in legal/clearance limbo, are they coming in a year, etc.

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
You don't even need a region free player. I bought a Koss and used to hack code to make it region free. You can get one of these for under $50 and it plays PAL fine.

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
I couldn't find a hack for my regular dvd player but I bought a small cheap portable and was able to find a hack for it. It also converts PAL to NTSC, not bad for $90. If you need a hack or want info on different dvd models I suggest you visit www.dvdrhelp.com, this site has everything you ever wanted to know about dvd recorders, players, and media. I bought the A&E sets quite awhile ago but would like to have all of the b&w episodes. I wish they would have put out more of the Peter Gunn shows as well.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
You can get region free player for less than the 71 ep. Saint set. I've got 6 or 7 R2 sets, so it's nice. British shows from the UK are cheaper than the R1 releases of the same. Movies are the opposite.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Jeff, if "Honey West" has good image quality, then between this and "The Saint" B&W complete set, I'm springing for a region free player with 16 Mb convertor.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
I never got the US version of these discs, I might give it a shot alongside Honey West which I have never seen. If you are importing I will recommend another series or two. Adam Adamant is a 1960's series about a Victorian era spy frozen in time only to awake in the 1960's. Another series I love from importing is Blake's 7, the classic 80's Sci-fi series, a precursor to Firefly featuring Paul Darrow as Kerr Avon. Lastly Robin of Sherwood, also from the 80's but in my mind the best version of many great ones.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

This series was held in high esteem by the writer of a book I have entitled "Saints and Avengers". I believe the first chapter is devoted to "Adam Adamant". I must say, the show intrigues me as much or more than another British series I've never seen, namely "Department S".

Jeff#

Screenwriter
I wouldn't buy another player just to be able to play The Saint...besides, I've seen them all before in syndication (and uncut for that matter). :)

Someday A & E will put out the 3rd and 4th seasons, and I'll buy them then.

bobPON

Stunt Coordinator
I've got a bunch of Honey West shows taped from when it ran on TVLAND. I'll definitely get the dvd's. There also coming out with Burke's Law. When I was a kid we watched those two shows every Friday night.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

:laugh: That's a classic line, Mike

As for deciding on a Region-Free player, there is usually more than one series that factors into the decision to get the player. One of the 2 PAL sets in my collection is the miniseries from '75, "Rich Man, Poor Man". It has been available in R2 since '03. Still no release in R1. I guess it depends on how many "must-have's" have already been released in R2 (or recent announcements, like "Honey West"). True, H.W. may be right over the R1 horizon, but that's anyone's guess. Another reason I went ahead and got the player is in the event there are movie releases in R2 that aren't available on R1, I'll be able to get those as well. Also, I recently ordered an R4 set from Australia since their price was less-expensive than the same set from the UK. Another factor for some here may have been the DVD-18's releases in R1 where the same series gets an R2 single-sided release. I guess it's a decision on "choice/availibility" that each of us decides if that's the way we want to go to have the option to own overseas sets. I would wait every time for R1's if I knew: 1) Will Studio X ever release that particular series, and 2) If yes, then when?

Back on the topic, it looks like I'll be adding this Saints set to my R2 collection. I was fortunate enough to have had the series "Danger Man" ("Secret Agent") released in R1.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, I'll be happy to explain it for you, and you don't even have to get back to me. :) I've seen every episode of The Saint in reruns, so not having access to it again on DVD makes it a lesser priority on my list. It would certainly be nice to have though. Other shows that are rare to DVD have more value. It's all about supply and demand.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

I'm realizing that more and more and regret not purchasing one a couple of years ago. That way I could made more informed decisions on which version of a set to purchase. "Lost in Space" comes immediately to mind. And you're right, it can be an exercise in frustration wondering if an R2 release will result in a subsequent R1 release. In the case of "Honey West" and "Burke's Law", I'm very doubtful about it being released here--which is odd because it's like someone in England wondering if (hypothetically) a release for "Department S" in the States will mean a release in the UK down the road...!

chrisBeckett

Agent
Some information regarding the R2 set. Network themselves have reduced the price for November and I think they ship outside the UK:-
http://www.networkdvd.co.uk/product....28&PROD_ID=428

The 18 discs are split into 9 standard sized DVD cases. Of the few episodes I have had a chance to view the picture quality looks very good indeed. I don't think they are HD transfers as another of Network's releases is - Space 1999 - but for 40+ years old prints cannot believe how good they look. The extras are quite extensive and the most I have seen for a television series. There are 3 booklets (season episode guides and the other one containing The Talented Husband story), a newly recorded short documentary, commentaries on 4 episodes (only one with Roger Moore), episodic image galleries, PR image gallery, Book cover image gallery, 24 original scripts in PDF format, TV World 1964 article (PDF), Promotional Brochure (PDF), alternative title sequence, French main titles, end titles background, The Latin Touch trailer (mute) and diverse text less filmed material (mute). Overall I am very impressed with this set.

Looking through the set it reminded me of something I had forgotten was that David Hedison starred in an episode of The Saint.

ChrisB

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Chris, Thanks for the link. Looks like I'll be getting this set. My Region-Free player's sure getting good use, now with 3 R2/4 sets. Maybe this set will be released in R1....then, maybe not.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks