The sad state of lettuce

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Nathan A, Feb 7, 2006.

1. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

The last 15-20 heads of lettuce I've bought have had (dead) bugs in them. Usually they're small (gnats, maybe), but the last one I bought had a bee in it! A dead bee! Ridiculous! Aside from grossing me out, the whole situation is making me give up on lettuce altogether. I've even gone out of my way to try a number of different grocery stores, but it's all the same story. I've tried buying different kinds of lettuce (iceberg, romaine, green leaf, etc), and I've tried buying the ones in sealed packages, but it's all been futile. Still bugs.

Is it the same all across the country? Is there anything that can be done to stop this epidemic? The only thing I haven't done is bought the "pre-packaged salad" type lettuce (the kind that's already cut up), mostly because it's relatively expensive. If my stomach can ever warm to lettuce again, maybe I'll give it a try.

2. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    maybe he was putting the lettuce on a hamburger. probably not eating the lettuce alone, by making a lettuceburger.

CJ

3. Nathan A

Nathan A Second Unit

No, he was right. I was making lettuceburgers. Maybe I will give hamburgers a try.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I hate to tell you, but bugs are everywhere, get over it.

Remember that everything you eat has "less than desirable" things in them.

Brent

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay

That is a lot of lettuce.. Can make a lot of lettuceburgers. Cabbage?

I think lettuce might be more susceptible to bugs given that they all grow close to the ground. Less so than say, bananas or coconuts. Perhaps try bananas on your Hamburger or Coconuts?

Jay

6. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Clean your lettuce. I don't mind bugs in lettuce because I figure the more bugs on the lettuce the less pesticide was used in growing the stuff. I'd rather eat dead bugs than pesticide, and I can more easily clean off bugs than chemicals.

7. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Get yourself a salad spinner and "Give it a whirl" instead. You should always clean lettuce anyway, just to remove the grit, never mind any residual chemicals/creepy crawlies.

8. Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor Supporting Actor

In OKC there's been a steady increase in veggies from south of the U.S. border. Ya know they use ground up gringos for fertilizer down there. [​IMG]

9. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    A bee! That's a new one. I have found slugs and bugs inside lettuce, but the worst offenders are ears of corn. I have found many a grub-like worm inside ears of corn. Disgusting, but at least I can boil the corn and not worry about it. I wash lettuce under the spigot which gets off the biggest chunks of dirt and bugs, but you know most food isn't bug-free. Cereals contain tons of dead bugs and mouse feces. There are bug eggs in ordinary flour--just let it sit long enough, and weevils will hatch.

Homer Simpson: "MMmmmm...bugs...."

10. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Some years ago I cut open a green pepper and a huge maggot type insect came crawling out. Before washing it down the drain I called over the girlfriend and watched her get grossed out haha. I then washed off the pepper, cut it up and threw it in the wok.

Was yummy [​IMG]

11. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Try organic broccolli some time. It's the worst offender.

12. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

geez - and I was always told Lettuce had no nutritional value. Sounds like you got the high protein version !

13. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Aren't bugs on lettuce a good thing? It means it hasn't been drowned in chemical pesticides.

Just wash it...which you should anyway, bugs or not.

14. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I just wish bees would stay away from the crops. [​IMG]

15. GordonL

GordonL Supporting Actor

If you buy it from Costco or Sam's Club, it's not too expensive - around $2.50 for a 2.5lb bag. I buy it all the time and have never seen any dead bugs in it. Doesn't mean it can't happen though. I've just never seen it.

Whenever I buy heads of lettuce, I always wash it first so the bugs don't really bother me. And do get yourself a salad spinner like someone suggested.

16. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I took on an extra job at the local megagrocer to finance my gasoline habit since I am not ready to give up my V-8 yet.

...and all other produce. The farmers grow it for you and might rinse it off a little but the first time it is actually washed and cleaned for consumption is when you do it. Some of the fruit and veggies might even have a thin coating of "stuff" to preserve the item and keep the bugs out. It doesn't have a taste but that doesn't mean you would want to eat it. I am amazed when I see people walk out eating apples and the like without having washed them. In addition, plastic gloves are not a requirement for handling produce.

17. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

switch to vegetables that don't have hiding places. Like asparagus or snap peas.

18. LewB

LewB Screenwriter

Be happy they didn't call it 'organic' and charge you extra [​IMG]

19. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I took on an extra job at the local megagrocer to finance my gasoline habit since I am not ready to give up my V-8 yet.

...and all other produce. The farmers grow it for you and might rinse it off a little but the first time it is actually washed and cleaned for consumption is when you do it. Some of the fruit and veggies might even have a thin coating of "stuff" to preserve the item and keep the bugs out. It doesn't have a taste but that doesn't mean you would want to eat it. I am amazed when I see people walk out eating apples and the like without having washed them. In addition, plastic gloves are not a requirement for handling produce.

20. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Mr.Hamm beat me to it, ditto.