The Russia House

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Donald, Sep 17, 2001.

1. David Donald

David Donald Auditioning

Are there any plans to release this title in the near future? As far as I know, MGM owns the rights.

2. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

The Russia House is an underrated film and one of my most wanted DVDs. It also features one of the greatest scores of the '90s. I was under the impression that Paramount owned the rights. If so, I'm upset with the delay, but at least they'll do a good job.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

MGM released the widescreen laser in 1991. I'm not sure who owns the rights today.
    This is a film waiting to be rediscovered. Few contemporary films have managed to create such a palpable sense of danger without portraying a single act of violence. Great writing, great acting, and gorgeous location photography (most of which disappears when the film is cropped to 4:3).
    M.

4. LarryH

LarryH Supporting Actor

I agree that this film deserves a nice anamorphic DVD and I'd buy it in a second.

5. Alan_Plummer

Alan_Plummer Auditioning

THE RUSSIA HOUSE streets December 26 sporting a brand new 2.35 16x9 transfer.
    ------------------

6. Justin Doring

Woo Hoo! This is the best news I've heard all week. What studio is putting it out? Thanks.
    ------------------
    "Home is where the theater is!"

7. David Donald

David Donald Auditioning

Does anyone have any opinions about the quality of this release or can you point me to a website that does?

I understand the sound is only Dolby 2.0 but I don't think that would bother me too much in a dramatic, dialogue based film like this. I'm especially interested to know what people think of the transfer. All I know is it's anamorphic.

Thanks in advance.

8. Justin Doring

I bought the DVD for $8.88 the day it came out and watched it that night. Although it is a new anamorphic transfer, I am very disappointed in it. It looks fuzzy with poor resolution and sharpness. Color and black level is, however, okay. Still, for a 1990 film, this DVD should look a lot better.

The Dolby Surround soundtrack won't knock your socks off, but it is decent with clear dialog and foley effects and Jerry's score sounds pretty good (although nothing like it does on CD).

Considering the stars involved and the gorgeous locations, MGM should have put more effort into this release and sprung for a better transfer and some special features. If you love the movie, however, and considering the bargain basement price, it's worth adding to your collection.

9. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

Justin is right on the money with his assessment. It looks more like laserdisc transfer that has been scaled to be anamorphic than a true anamorphic transfer from a Hi-Def master. It's a pity, but I probably shoudln't complain given I paid less than $9 for it.