What's new

The Rum Diary announced. Starring Johnny Depp. Directed by Benicio Del Toro (1 Viewer)

Kevinkall

Second Unit
Just because you are a good actor doesn't mean you are going to be a good director.

I was ALOT happier with this project when Quentin Tarantino was involved with it...or maybe that was a rumor.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
So is Depp playing Hunter or playing a character written by Hunter that in some ways is Hunter-like?

I understand that the book was written before the Fear and Loathing era of Hunter's life, so I wonder if the plot is as crazy.

Is this meant to be F&LiLV part 2 or a totally different type of film? Certainly I don't expect del Toro to do the film ala Gilliam, though I suppose he could.

It does seem interesting that both Depp and del Toro want to be involved in this project together after starring in F&L together. That would seem to indicate that they might want to capture that original magic/style/theme, and that could make for a pretty cool little film.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm... I am not sure. Benicio del Toro kicks ass in many ways as an actor, but I am sorta unsure of his directing abilities. I would have loved if Gilliam came back! :)

I have no idea, he might be the next Kubrick for all we know! I am more interested to see who comes on as Producers.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
There are actors who make good directors, there are actors who make bad directors. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt untill Benicio proves which he is.

I only saw F&LiLV because of Gilliam, but I would be interested in this.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Give the guy a chance. I'm sure that when Clint Eastwood, Ron Howard, and Warren Beatty began directing that they met with derision as well. He could turn out to be a quite capable director.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately I revived the thread with new questions about exactly what the story will be but everyone seems to have just looked at the debate on del Toro as a director.

Does anyone know anymore than those basics? Who has read the book?

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Following that up I see that IMDb at least has the main character names up and that while del Toro will be acting in it, neither will be strictly revising their characters which is to be expected since this was a work of fiction.

However, since it does seem to be based on Hunter's own experiences, though altered (he didn't get the job at that paper), I wonder if these characters will reflect any of the personality of Dr. Gonzo or Hunter S.

At this point it seems very unreasonable to look at this film as "Fear and Loathing part 2" in any way. That would indicate that this wouldn't necessarily even lend itself to Gilliam's style like F&L did.

I wonder if the 3 (Depp, Toro, Hunter) are together again because of the similarity of the work, or more likely just because they all became comfortable working together previously (or maybe even that Hunter has enough control to restrict who gets involved with his work...on F&L Criterion he seemed to have a real affection for Depp as a person).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks