What's new

The RP82 is really good (1 Viewer)

Actually just sent my RP-82 back to Crutchfield today and opted to stick with the Toshiba SD-4800. I'd planned to keep the Panny, but the more side by side tests I did, the more I realized that there was very little if no difference in PQ. Video did look a tiny bit better on the RP-82, but not dramatically IMHO.

Also, I had a few issues with the Panny in four days. One, it constantly kept telling me I had software with a 4:3 aspect ratio inserted, when in fact I didn't. Secondly, the 4:3 material I did watch looked 30 times better on the Tosh than the Panny. Thirdly, the sound (coax and optical) sounded tinny compared to the sound coming from the Tosh. Fourth, and I know this is shallow, but I just never took to the silver and chrome look and the remote is one of the biggest (smallest) pieces of junk I've seen, especially when compared to the Tosh remote.

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Secondly, the 4:3 material I did watch looked 30 times better on the Tosh than the Panny.
Is that on a 16:9 screen, or a 4:3? On my 16:9, I have to use the TV's 4:3 mode, which isn't as good a picture as when the player does it.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I want the De-interlace functionality of the s/f chip as my wife is a big Star Trek fan and the DVD's look terrible on our Samsung. The stars keep blinking and the hull of the ship is Jaggied all to hell.
The 82 looks great with video material. It's one of the strong points of the player. We have run about 20 discs (half of them rentals) through our 82 without any problems.

Jay_Leonard

Stunt Coordinator
According to the spec on the Panasonic site the RP 82 does have Gamma Correction

Progressive Scanning Yes

Video D/A Converter 54MHz/10-bit

4:4:4 Signal Processing Yes

4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift Yes

DVD-RAM Video Playback Capability Yes

MPEG Digital Noise Reduction (Mosquito/Block/3D) Yes

Picture Control Brightness, Color, Contrast

Gamma Correction Yes

Auto Switching Field/Frame Still Yes

Frame Advance (Forward & Reverse) Yes

Black Level Control Yes

Advanced Surround (V.S.S.) Yes

Cinema Mode Yes

Dialogue Enhancer Yes

Audio D/A Converter 8-ch, 192kHz/24-bit

Digital Re-Master Processing 3-Mode

Audio Only Function (Video Circuit OFF) Yes

Built-in DTS® Surround Sound Decoder Yes

Built-in Dolby Digital® Surround Sound Decoder Yes

Optical Digital Output for DTS® & Dolby Digital® Surround Sound Yes

Virtual Battery Operation Yes

Digital Audio Out Coaxial, Optical

Headphone Surround (V.S.S.) Yes

Dynamic Range Compression Yes

Remote Control Standard

DVD/CD Text Display CD

CD-R/RW Playback* Yes

(*This unit can play CD-DA format audio CD-R and CD-RW discs. It may not be able to play some CD-R or CD-RW discs due to the condition of the recording.)

Twin Laser Pickup Yes

Chapter Preview Yes

On-Screen Menu Icons Yes

Energy Star® Compliant Yes

Playable Disc Type DVD-Audio, DVD-Video, DVD-RAM, DVD-R, Video CD, CD, CD-R, CD-RW

Horizontal Resolution More than 500 lines

Shuttle Dial Yes

Video S/N 65 dB

Audio S/N 115 dB

Total Harmonic Distortion (CD) 0.0025%

Frequency Response: DVD-Audio (fs 192kHz) 4Hz - 88kHz

Frequency Response: DVD-Video (fs 96kHz) 4Hz - 44kHz

Frequency Response: CD/Video CD (44.1kHz) 4Hz - 20kHz

Dynamic Range: DVD-Video (LPCM) 102dB

Dynamic Range: CD 98dB

Power Source AC 120V, 60Hz

Power Consumption 14W

2ch Audio Out Yes

5.1ch Surround Sound Audio Out Yes

Component Video Out (Y, PB, PR) Switchable (480P/480I)

Progressive Video Out (Y, PB, PR) Switchable (480P/480I)

S-Video Out Yes

Subwoofer Out Yes

Video Out Yes

MP3 Playback Capability* Yes

(*For content recorded on CD-R/RW media for your personal use. Playability may vary depending on contents and discs.)

WMA (Windows Media Audio) Playback Capability Yes

DVD-R Playback Capability* Yes

(*This unit can play back Panasonic DVD-R discs recorded with Panasonic DMR-E20 DVD video recorder. It may not be able to play some DVD-R discs depending on the condition of the recording.)

Hi Speed Smooth Scan 5 Speed up to x200

Progress Indicator Yes

Quick Replay Yes

Sleep Timer Yes

Quick Guide Setup Yes

Audio Navigation Menu Yes

Zoom 4:3 TV

Still Picture Display (I/P/B) Yes

Model Color Silver/Black

Dimensions (H x W x D) 23/8" x 1615/16" x 925/32"

Weight 5.3 lbs

MikeSRC

Second Unit
Jay,

That feature list from the Panny website is not correct. For example it lists the following:
"4:3 Shrink Function w/ Letterbox Zoom & Shift - Yes"

The RP82 does not have this function. The "gamma correction" is the black level setting mentioned above.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I know this has been asked before, but has anyone seen this unit in black. I can't get into silver and it goes way against SAF :)
Thanks,
Matt

MikeSRC

Second Unit
I seems like less than one second to me. There's a momentary pause that's noticeable, but that's about it. It's about the same as the JVC player I had.

Stefan A

Second Unit
Can someone explain why everyone is so excited about this dvd player having both coaxial and optical output?

MikeSRC

Second Unit

I wouldn't say it's exciting, but here's a couple of reasons:

1) Many people feel that a coaxial cable connection is superior to an optical one. Since many of the previous lower priced Pannys only had the optical, adding the coaxial is a plus.

2) More choices. If you've already used up your optical inputs on your receiver (like I have with DirecTivo and an HD STB), you have the option to use the coaxial connection.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Also, I wonder how it's interlaced output looks? My lock in full RPTV has excellent internal deinterlacing, so I'm willing to switch the RP82 over to interlaced for watching non-anamorphic's.
My 53WX42's deinterlacing is OK but the RP82's is better. 480i output with the RP82 is fine, as is the 91's output.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
Can someone explain why everyone is so excited about this dvd player having both coaxial and optical output?
Some Panasonic players such as the 56 and 62 only have optical outputs. Having both types gives people more hookup options into their sound systems.

The layer change does seem to run about one second or less and depending on where it is in the film, you may not notice it at all.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I may not be understanding this about the PR82. On the Panasonic website it list the optical for DD/DTS but for coaxial is specifically says "digital out". Does this mean the coaxial will only transfer the PCM stereo track or will the coaxial also output DD/DTS?

This is rather important as my current setup already has the one optical being used for digital cable.

Thanks in advance!

David

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I may not be understanding this about the PR82. On the Panasonic website it list the optical for DD/DTS but for coaxial is specifically says "digital out". Does this mean the coaxial will only transfer the PCM stereo track or will the coaxial also output DD/DTS?
Their website contains some mistakes. The coaxial DOES output DD/DTS. You can use it or the optical for digital output.

MikeM

Screenwriter
I just wanted to point out one really nice thing I found out about this player.

I originally bought the Panasonic RP62. Although this player was fine, one big thing that got me was that it sputtered and died on a DVD-R that I burned on my Mac using iDVD. (Internal Pioneer DVR-104 for those keeping score at home.) Granted, I created this DVD-R on some super cheap media that I originally thought was to blame.

After reading some user comments, it sounded like the RP82 had a better overall picture, so I took back the RP62 and purchased the RP82.

Not only is the picture quality better, but the exact same DVD-R disc that choked and died on the RP-62, plays *perfectly* on the RP82. So add "better DVD-R" compatibility as a major difference between the RP62 for those deciding on which player to buy.

Hope this info helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks