1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Rookie (ABC - Season 1)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Nelson Au, Oct 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Another fine episode that introduces another new character. Yes, the series has a bevy of good looking women in the cast.

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Agreed; Another solid episode.

- Some fairly strong dramatic content in this one with the backstories for the homeless woman and Nolan's new TO.
    - Nice to see that Tim and Rachel's relationship is going to be an ongoing story element.
    - I liked Grey's explanation why Nolan was selected to partner with the new TO; also good to see that Grey was looking out for Nolan.

- Walter.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It appears Grey has finally gotten over his misgivings about Nolan and recognizes the qualities he brings to the job.

Doug Wallen likes this.
  4. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Lead Actor

Doug
    I thought the same thing, seems the adversarial aspect is mostly gone, except for Tim; "Don't get all emotional" or something like that. Good to see that the other TO's have some measure of respect and concern for their trainees.

Seems Nolan's also has some "guardian" in her as Nolan pointed out. Really like how this season is shaping up.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The show has some realistic issues, but, so does every police procedural series, Yet, I'm entertained by it and love the comedic moments. I liked the "Firefly" reunion in the latest episode.

6. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Sunday's episode was entitled 'The Dark Side' and it certainly lived up to that moniker. They sure ended the mid-season break with a cliff hanger. Won't see how this is resolved until Feb. 23 of next year.

Following the established timeline of Sunday's episode, the next DOD date would be 03-08-20. Curious to see if that is how the series approaches the current situation. Based on one of the images from the teaser for the return in February, it certainly seems like that is how this will play out.

While we have seen these types of scenarios play out in countless procedurals, I thought that Annie Wersching was pretty effective.

Haven't been (obviously) posting about the show lately, but still enjoying the chemistry of the cast and The Rookie is one of the series that I try to catch the evening that it airs.

- Walter.

7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I pegged
    the other killer early in the show once he showed up at the police station.
    Other than that a good episode. I don't think your timeline will come in play because of the status to the latest victim.

8. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

The only reason I believe the timeline might come into play, is that despite the identity of the victim, I'm not convinced that the storyline will have an immediate resolution in the first episode of 2020. One of the plot elements was about whether a person should give up quickly or hold on as long as they are capable of doing so. This might result in a multi-episode resolution that approaches that date. I guess we will see.

- Walter.

9. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    While that would be interesting, it would really be a stretch for the timeline. If the show returns Feb 23, that would require three episodes for a resolution. And for a series regular to be ‘missing’ for two-and-a-half months really pushes things

10. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

The Rookie returned from the winter break last night. So much for my multi-episode idea. :)

The episode felt very formulaic with all of the stuff that I've seen play out hundreds of times on other procedurals. Last night's episode makes me think that the show is better when it plays to the lighter material which is more in Fillion's wheelhouse; which sort of contradicts my take on the first half of this storyline. Maybe the break had something to do with my 'ehhh' reaction to last night's episode, but I didn't see one original element in the broadcast last night. I'm not expecting anything revolutionary on a network television procedural, but how about a smidgen of creativity. (The medical consultation via phone was sort of unique, I suppose.)

In case it isn't clear, I found Sunday's episode disappointing in its familiarity.

- Walter.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yeah, I was a little underwhelmed too. I still enjoyed, but I think you're right, the show works best with humorous situations.

12. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Lead Actor

Overall, tonight's episode was a step up from last week. For me, the focus on the characters and the relationships gave the episode some emotional resonance. A good mix of action, humor, and drama in the show tonight.

- Walter.