What's new

The Rolling Stones - where do I start? (1 Viewer)

David Albrecht

Stunt Coordinator
I was just curious about the Sticky Fingers Cd that is in most stores now.

I noticed most other early Stones albums on the rack have a little black strip on the bottom with the following writen in red...

Digitally Remastered From Original Master Recording

...but this does not appear on the Sticky Fingers Cd. Does this mean this CD is the older non-remastered version? Just curious if I should try to hunt down the Limited Edition version. Thanks

Kevin Leonard

Supporting Actor
I noticed most other early Stones albums on the rack have a little black strip on the bottom with the following writen in red...
Digitally Remastered From Original Master Recording
...but this does not appear on the Sticky Fingers Cd. Does this mean this CD is the older non-remastered version? Just curious if I should try to hunt down the Limited Edition version.
That's just false advertising--the early albums haven't been remastered at all; I did a comparison with a friend's record copies, and the vinyl won out almost every single time...there was little to no difference in the CD's. Don't get me wrong though: the sound is fine for being an early CD release, but a remastering job would be welcome.
And the reason why Sticky Fingers doesn't say "ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED" is because it--along with all the post-60's Stones albums (from Fingers and onward)--are released by Virgin Records, while all their 60's albums are released by ABKCO, which carries the "Remaster" label.
The Limited Edition of Fingers doesn't have anything to do with remastering the sound; it's a reproduction of the vinyl cover, which contained an actual working zipper on the front. The LE packaging is a gatefold design with the zipper on the front while you pull the disc out from the side, which is housed in a paper sleeve...just like the vinyl. This was also done with Exile On Main Street and Some Girls.
You might as well get the LE if you can find it; it's the same price as the regular jewel case edition and looks quite nice on display. But there's no difference in sound quality to my ears.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
My buddy used to love to introduce people to Let It Bleed by playing it at just the right level so that the car horn really sounded like it was coming from outside. He even got me to look out the window at the apartment parking lot once.....once.
:)
My favs in order:
Exile
Bleed
Banquet
Undercover (yes, undercover)
Some Girls
Aftermath
but you should try to buy all at some point.
Speaking of Bowie about 6 months ago I just about wrapped up my Bowie collection. You certainly can't go wrong there.
My fav songs: Heroes, Ashes to Ashes, Man Who Sold the World, Modern Love
And speaking of great runs, what about
79-83 for both The Clash and The Police. Pretty amazing groups of albums there.

Frank_W

Stunt Coordinator
Well - I love the Stones in all era's but my top 3
that I listen to all the time are...
Sticky Fingers
Some Girls
and Tatoo You (sorry :D)
And I do love the others (I know, no 'Exile' but I actually
play the other 3 many times more ).

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Stones fans may or may not be interested in the January 2002 issue of the UK mag Uncut.
There are two separate editions of this issue, but, beyond the cover (one features the Stones with Brian Jones, the other with Mick Taylor,) the contents are identical. Both issues had a panel of musicians and writers select the top 50 Stones songs. I think only one song was selected from the last 20 years, but I could do without that one: "Undercover of the Night." Hell, isn't "Dance (Pt. 1)," like, twice as good?
Anyway, various voices from the panel provide comments after each selection (BTW, there seems to be some overcompensation going on regarding the selection of "Undercover Of The Night.") Keith Richards shows up to comment on each of the top ten (I think.)
However, the separate covers do correspond to separate bonus CDs: Gimme Shelter Vols. 1 & 2.
Both CDs include covers of Stones songs by various artists. Presumably since Uncut could pick and choose from a whole history of Stones covers and since no record company is trying to boost the career of anyone, the selection of artists is both more eclectic and probably more interesting than the typical tribute album. I don't know if Greil Marcus would go for them at all, but there is some good stuff on these disks.
There are exclusive new tracks from Ryan Adams/Beth Orton (a somber reading of "Brown Sugar,") Lambchop, and Kelly Jones from Stereophonics. There's stuff from Come, Chelsea, the Flamin' Groovies, Alejandro Escovedo, Cat Power, Johnny Thunders (2 tracks,) MC5, Ramones, the Meat Puppets, the Cowboy Junkies, and Marianne Faithfull. Groovy soul/blues versions of Stones tunes from Luther Allison, Joe Simon, and Ruth Copeland (featuring Parliament! on a smoking "Gimmie Shelter.")
Plus the usual unlistenable crap that shows up on these tributes (Laibach's Vol. 1 opener "Sympathy For the Devil," Johnny Dowd's "Mother's Little Helper," an acapella "Get Off My Cloud" from the Flying Pickets.)
Anyway, Uncut is priced $7.95 an issue on US newsstands, and isn't quite as good as MOJO, but is better than most of its US counterparts. In addition to being a music magazine, Uncut delves pretty heavily into film. There are a couple of interesting articles about the movies: one deals with the rerelease of Peter Fonda's The Hired Hand in the UK; the other discusses Kenneth Anger's Lucifer Rising.

MikeAW

Second Unit
To me "Voodoo Lounge" is one of the most prolific albums...especially if you listen to the 8 cds of sessions and outtakes from those sessions. As well, this album tour resulted in some of the best live music ever, from the band.

My favorite period, is from 69 to 72...wherein you find some really good music, most of which was overlooked and not appreciated very much at the time.

As for Ronnie Wood, he was better when he was addicted. I have this New Year's live radio show recording made at his club in Florida, and if it were released it would officially address his underappreciated music abilities.

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
that's going to be quite a boxed set if they put everything in there they have listed

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Kevin, here's a link to the alleged working titles to be in that box set, from the reputable GOLDMINE MAGAZINE, with the article's author's thoughts on what should consist of bonus tracks ...
Okay, I'm badly confused. From what I read, it looked like the page simply listed all of the Stones' albums through Emotional Rescue and writer added his wet dream chart of his "suggested bonus tracks". Am I missing something?

DanaA

Screenwriter
I've been thinking it over and here's what I think you should buy:

1. The 3 CD Singles Collection-The London Years

(The best overview of the Stones from their beginning to Sympathy For The Devil

2. Let It Bleed

3. Beggar's Banquet

4. Sticky Fingers

5. Get Your Ya-Ya's Out - By far their best live album.

If you got these, you'd really be in sweet.

MikeAW

Second Unit
Update on the Rolling Stones reissues from the ABKCO archives of Allen Klein...
"Although representatives of the Stones, Virgin and Klein would not talk on the record about plans, it appears steps have been taken to overcome the hurdles, and plans are being made for several potential projects."
"...a definitive collection of the band's best-known songs, along the lines of the Beatles' '1',..."
"A set of notes has been made by Virgin researchers highlighting material available for either package in the mode of the Beatles' three-volume "Anthology" series or as bonus tracks for reissues of original albums. The notes also cover material from a never-released live album of the band's 1972 tour to complete recordings of shows at the El Mocambo club in Toronto (four songs of which appear on the 'Love You Live' album)."
Here's the link...
Link Removed
This link is faulty but it was in yesterdays La Times online !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks