What's new

The Rodgers & Hammerstein Collection: Amazon pre-order! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
Doug Bull said:
The Amazon announcement looks a bit vague to me.

I'l wait for something a bit more concrete before I get too excited.
I agree Doug. Amazon (UK) had the same listing in early 2012 with an October release the same year. We are still waiting.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
lukejosephchung said:
"State Fair" was done originally in 1945 in Academy ratio 1.37, then REMADE IN CINEMASCOPE in 1962!!! "Oklahoma!" was shot in TWO WIDESCREEN FORMATS in 1955...Todd-AO 65mm and Cinemascope using separate takes for every scene and number!!! Does that explain things to your satisfaction?
I meant to say that most early cinemascope films were 'released' in both cinemascope and standard screen as few cinemas had cinemascope at the time.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
cinerama10 said:
I meant to say that most early cinemascope films were 'released' in both cinemascope and standard screen as few cinemas had cinemascope at the time.
??

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
cinerama10 said:
The worst of all the early fifties widescreens was SUPERSCOPE. I failed to see (at the time) what use it was as a widescreen process.It was larger than widescreen but smaller than cinemascope.Any cinema that had cinemascope could show a superscope film. It never impressed me when I saw it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Having now viewed the first reel of Oklahoma!, albeit in 2k on a 25 foot screen, I can offer that the wait has been worthwhile. Seeing the film properly at 30fps Todd-AO is miraculous.

The image is sparkling, clean, almost perfectly colorful, with proper levels across the board.

A beautiful restorative effort from the folks at Fox.

RAH

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Robert Harris said:
Having now viewed the first reel of Oklahoma!, albeit in 2k on a 25 foot screen, I can offer that the wait has been worthwhile. Seeing the film properly at 30fps Todd-AO is miraculous.

The image is sparkling, clean, almost perfectly colorful, with proper levels across the board.

RAH
Hey, where was I???

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Robert Harris said:

RAH
According to this press release, the original 6 track audio has been restored and remastered. Does this mean the 4K will have 5 screen channels available for theaters so equipped? Or is that too much to hope for?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
seangood79 said:
According to this press release, the original 6 track audio has been restored and remastered. Does this mean the 4K will have 5 screen channels available for theaters so equipped? Or is that too much to hope for?
No reason why it cannot. DTS is a bucket that can contain whatever is desired.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Mr Harris,As you mention DTS will the new restoration have any 70mm prints?many thanks.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
DP 70 said:
Mr Harris,As you mention DTS will the new restoration have any 70mm prints?many thanks.
I know nothing about Fox's plans. I was merely given the privilege of viewing the first reel from 4k data files via 2k projection.

Whether on film or as data, I would believe that tracks can be routed wherever to any destination.

RAH

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
I know nothing about Fox's plans. I was merely given the privilege of viewing the first reel from 4k data files via 2k projection. Whether on film or as data, I would believe that tracks can be routed wherever to any destination. RAH
many thanks again Mr Harris.

Dubstar

Agent
Real Name
Jonathan Goeldner
seangood79 said:
given the number of theaters that still show 70mm and have Digital projection - those screens still have five screen channel speakers (even Dolby Atmos theaters are configured as such behind the screen) - there is absolutely no reason why NOT the DCP's could feature the original TODD-AO original mix.- come on Fox be the first to encode an actual film/DCP as such (please?) .

Dubstar

Agent
Real Name
Jonathan Goeldner
let me clarify - since I'm not seeing the edit button on my posting - DCI compliant audio processors can extract left/center + right/center sound sources - since no Studio has yet to actual encode a feature film as such - any and all pre 1977 70mm 6-track sound films (or even 8-channel SDDS films for that matter) can and 'should' be archived as such. Some one HAS to get the ball rolling here...

John Skoda

Second Unit
My wish for an OKLAHOMA! blu-ray is that they don't fiddle with the sound at all, but just present exactly what's on the tracks.I was lucky enough to see a 30 fps Todd-AO print of this in the early 1980s projected here at the Uptown Theater in DC (which is where OKLAHOMA! opened locally in 1956, after the theater was reconfigured for Todd-AO), and as impressive as the visuals were, the sound is still what I remember most.The music was so bright and crisp (some hiss, not much), but with thundering bass as well. The sound was so sharp, you could picture exactly where each instrument was behind the screen. Everyone stayed in their seats until the last notes of the exit music finished. It was mesmerizing.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Dubstar said:
let me clarify - since I'm not seeing the edit button on my posting - DCI compliant audio processors can extract left/center + right/center sound sources - since no Studio has yet to actual encode a feature film as such - any and all pre 1977 70mm 6-track sound films (or even 8-channel SDDS films for that matter) can and 'should' be archived as such. Some one HAS to get the ball rolling here...
Yes, even though the number of theaters that can actually have the speakers are limited, they are growing thanks to Atmos. No reason they can't include a 6 channel track along with a 5.1 track for standard theaters.
Todd-AO was as much about the audio as it was the picture, it's a shame such effort was put into making beautiful looking 4Ks of Sound of Music and Lawrence of Arabia, but audiences can't hear these movies as they were originally presented.

PS, since Mr. Harris is watching, I know Lawrence wasn't Todd-AO, and recorded in 4 track, but the prints were 6 channel, am I correct?

GregK

Screenwriter
The only for sure downside to the upcoming Todd-AO bluray version of OKLAHOMA! is it will have to be encoded as 1080i. But that's not something Fox can get around. The end result will vary on home gear, depending on a given display's deinterlacing capabilities.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Dubstar said:
If they did do a 5 front channel mix and mono surround the manager/ projectionist would have to select the tracks on the server / processor then with a
bit of we might get the correct format.

Giovanni DN

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Giovanni Di Natale
Oklahoma in HD! Yeeehaww!

post-325695-0-42477600-1395093398_thumb.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.