What's new

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
You know, with Kino-Lorber licensing tons of stuff from Universal, I wonder if it’s possible they might release R&B?
KL has released some animated stuff.

The question is whether Kino believes there is enough demand for a bluray version.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
The question is whether Kino believes there is enough demand for a bluray version.
I have purchased this 2 times on DVD. The second time was in the hopes that the picture did not have a stupid logo imposed on the bottom of the screen popping up at various times during each cartoon. (The second release was virtually identical to the first.) I would purchase a Blu-ray version if this logo were to disappear entirely.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I have purchased this 2 times on DVD. The second time was in the hopes that the picture did not have a stupid logo imposed on the bottom of the screen popping up at various times during each cartoon. (The second release was virtually identical to the first.) I would purchase a Blu-ray version if this logo were to disappear entirely.

I suspected something like this was happening, when Universal re-released the Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2 dvd set where it was four double-sided flipper discs.

Basically a lazy repressing.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I suspected something like this was happening, when Universal re-released the Rocky & Bullwinkle season 2 dvd set where it was four double-sided flipper discs.

Basically a lazy repressing.
Yes, and that’s why we need a Blu-ray release with new transfers.
Since Kino-Lorber has a “deal” with Universal , and since KL has released some animated TV like Pink Panther , it’s always possible.
I can’t see R&B having LESS fans than Kolchak or Buck Rogers which KL released as complete series sets on Blu-ray.

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
That’s a cool story Robert. I read up about Joe Harris in Wikipedia. He had an interesting and varied career!
He had a really interesting life one of his relatives invented a competing color process but Technicolor was too big to beat. His Mom actually worked at Macy's in the 1930's as a salesgirl he told me they put ladies in the men's dept because the men wanted to go to the pretty girls and they would buy more. He would tell is stories of every weekend playing volleyball in the Hamptons and every weekend up and coming new talent would join the game -- including then a struggling actor named Dustin Hoffman! guys were The Underdog Show thats all -- and they even had their own plane in the 1960's!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Shout Factory would be the company to give Rocky & Bullwinkle the long over due treatment they would need for a Blu-ray release. In my opinion Kino just doesn't go the extra mile that Shout does with their releases.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Since Kino-Lorber has a “deal” with Universal , and since KL has released some animated TV like Pink Panther , it’s always possible.
I can’t see R&B having LESS fans than Kolchak or Buck Rogers which KL released as complete series sets on Blu-ray.

I'm guessing Rocky & Bullwinkle is more widely known, due to it being in syndication for many decades. (I use to watch it almost every day after I got home from school). Though this doesn't mean that there will be a large number of customers buying the bluray complete series set. (ie. They can just buy the already widely available dvd complete series set),.

In contrast, I have never seen Buck Rogers and Kolchak in ota broadcast reruns.

With that being said, the question is how many paying customers will there be for a Rocky and Bullwinkle complete series bluray set, compared to Kolchak or Buck Rogers with less seasons on bluray?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I'm guessing Rocky & Bullwinkle is more widely known, due to it being in syndication for many decades. (I use to watch it almost every day after I got home from school). Though this doesn't mean that there will be a large number of customers buying the bluray complete series set. (ie. They can just buy the already widely available dvd complete series set),.

In contrast, I have never seen Buck Rogers and Kolchak in ota broadcast reruns.

With that being said, the question is how many paying customers will there be for a Rocky and Bullwinkle complete series bluray set, compared to Kolchak or Buck Rogers with less seasons on bluray?

Rocky & Bullwinkle are more well known than Buck or Kolchak are, so by default those cartoon legends would do very well for whoever were to release them on blu.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Kolchak has been running its single season of shows on Me-TV seemingly forever. They're the same old SD transfers - dark, lacking detail, so the Kino release should be a revelation.

But I'd LOVE to see an R&B release on Blu.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Kolchak has been running its single season of shows on Me-TV seemingly forever. They're the same old SD transfers - dark, lacking detail, so the Kino release should be a revelation.

But I'd LOVE to see an R&B release on Blu.

Kolchak returned to Me-TV about 2 months ago after being on Comet for awhile I think. The last time Rocky & Bullwinkle were seen was probably back in 2001 when they last aired on Cartoon Network.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Kolchak returned to Me-TV about 2 months ago after being on Comet for awhile I think. The last time Rocky & Bullwinkle were seen was probably back in 2001 when they last aired on Cartoon Network.
More than two months. I'm on my third rotation with them (they're on weekly). So with 20 episodes that would be at the least 11 months.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys, I’ve finally dug into several Rocky and Bullwinkle episodes of the Jet Fuel storyline. It’s been so long since I last seen this, I have absolutely no recollection of the story! But I do get flashbacks of the credits music and it’s so odd to see the opening titles on the DVD sets. I’m expecting to see the Broadway lights and the familiar music during the end credits. The opening credits visually doesn’t look like anything I specifically remember. But it is off putting to see the newly inserted title card, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends. I see most of the animation is intact from looking at the video in post #60 of this thread. So that’s cool to have that reference. I do miss the ending credits posted in post #69.

Watching these episodes has been fun, I fondly remembered the Fractured Fairy Tales and Peabody and Sherman shorts. In watching them, I can guess that they were inserted in random on these DVD releases as Andrew said in an earlier post. I noticed the Fractured Fairy Tales opens with the giant and smaller character carrying in title cards, later there is a large book with the cover that the fairy opens and the cover tries to close on her. I saw that change within a few episodes of the first season. I figured that must be a change from a later season. I’m only 5 episodes in and those shorts are what I’ve been looking for. I have to say, having never understood the Rocky and Bullwinkle stories as a kid, I can appreciate it now, it’s pretty good! I understand the humor now. And it’s really fun to hear Edward Everett Norton’s voice again. That was one of the memorable aspects of the shorts that I remembered. It was not until recently I saw two or three Cary Grant films from the 1930’s and 1940’s that I saw the actor and I instantly recognized the voice and finally figured it out that was him narrating the shorts. It triggered my memory to figure out it was the Fractured Fairy Tales I would like to see again.

The ending credits of each episode is unfamiliar to me as I’m used to the Broadway lights shown with the other music. But these end credits look real enough so they must be the early version. Just with the replacement music? I’m starting to just ignore the altered music in the titles and just enjoy the content. I’m even not noticing the little logo bug.

It’s also been so long since I’ve seen these episodes, I’d forgotten how simple and crude the animation is. I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s really an interesting style. There must be name for it or it was a style of the times. It’s minimalist and suits the humor. It all works. It’s contrasting to The Flintstones, both shows came out within a year of each other and the Hanna Barbara team put out artwork that’s similarly simple in the early episodes. But somehow The Flintstones are more polished. The new Blu Rays of The Flintstone certainly makes that series shine, the image is super sharp and the background artwork shows up so clear now. I’m only a few episodes into the Flintstones too. So it’s been a long time since I watched both.

Image quality on these Rocky and Bullwinkle DVDs looks good too. I wonder how a Flintstone quality remaster will look.

Soon I have to open the Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo sets! The animation style of all three of these series are fun to re-see. Plus I have the deluxe blu ray set of Speed Racer to get into as well! I know that’s a totally different show, but it was also part of my youth!

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Guys, I’ve finally dug into several Rocky and Bullwinkle episodes of the Jet Fuel storyline. It’s been so long since I last seen this, I have absolutely no recollection of the story! But I do get flashbacks of the credits music and it’s so odd to see the opening titles on the DVD sets. I’m expecting to see the Broadway lights and the familiar music during the end credits. The opening credits visually doesn’t look like anything I specifically remember. But it is off putting to see the newly inserted title card, The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends. I see most of the animation is intact from looking at the video in post #60 of this thread. So that’s cool to have that reference. I do miss the ending credits posted in post #69.

Watching these episodes has been fun, I fondly remembered the Fractured Fairy Tales and Peabody and Sherman shorts. In watching them, I can guess that they were inserted in random on these DVD releases as Andrew said in an earlier post. I noticed the Fractured Fairy Tales opens with the giant and smaller character carrying in title cards, later there is a large book with the cover that the fairy opens and the cover tries to close on her. I saw that change within a few episodes of the first season. I figured that must be a change from a later season. I’m only 5 episodes in and those shorts are what I’ve been looking for. I have to say, having never understood the Rocky and Bullwinkle stories as a kid, I can appreciate it now, it’s pretty good! I understand the humor now. And it’s really fun to hear Edward Everett Norton’s voice again. That was one of the memorable aspects of the shorts that I remembered. It was not until recently I saw two or three Cary Grant films from the 1930’s and 1940’s that I saw the actor and I instantly recognized the voice and finally figured it out that was him narrating the shorts. It triggered my memory to figure out it was the Fractured Fairy Tales I would like to see again.

The ending credits of each episode is unfamiliar to me as I’m used to the Broadway lights shown with the other music. But these end credits look real enough so they must be the early version. Just with the replacement music? I’m starting to just ignore the altered music in the titles and just enjoy the content. I’m even not noticing the little logo bug.

It’s also been so long since I’ve seen these episodes, I’d forgotten how simple and crude the animation is. I’m not saying it’s bad, it’s really an interesting style. There must be name for it or it was a style of the times. It’s minimalist and suits the humor. It all works. It’s contrasting to The Flintstones, both shows came out within a year of each other and the Hanna Barbara team put out artwork that’s similarly simple in the early episodes. But somehow The Flintstones are more polished. The new Blu Rays of The Flintstone certainly makes that series shine, the image is super sharp and the background artwork shows up so clear now. I’m only a few episodes into the Flintstones too. So it’s been a long time since I watched both.

Image quality on these Rocky and Bullwinkle DVDs looks good too. I wonder how a Flintstone quality remaster will look.

Soon I have to open the Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo sets! The animation style of all three of these series are fun to re-see. Plus I have the deluxe blu ray set of Speed Racer to get into as well! I know that’s a totally different show, but it was also part of my youth!

E.E. HORTON

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I was wondering why you wrote E.E. Horton. Then I realized I called him Norton and not Horton. I know a guy named Norton at work so it must have been force of habit or a spell check alteration. 🙂

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I was wondering why you wrote E.E. Horton. Then I realized I called him Norton and not Horton. I know a guy named Norton at work so it must have been force of habit or a spell check alteration. 🙂

Does he happen to look like this

1627276671906.png

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello

Rocky And Bullwinkle is all about the humor, and as a matter of fact the “crude” animation contributes to that. For example the very small crowd watching the parade during the opening credits. I think it’s no small part of why many of us continue to love the show well into adulthood.

Larry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I wouldn't look to Kino for any animated series. Quote form the Kino Insider from January 2020 (on another forum) - "We have no interest in doing anymore animation. Unless Warner Brothers or Disney opens their vaults to us." From September 2020- "As I had said before, we're done with animation. We may continue to pickup a feature here and there."

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I wouldn't look to Kino for any animated series. Quote form the Kino Insider from January 2020 (on another forum) - "We have no interest in doing anymore animation. Unless Warner Brothers or Disney opens their vaults to us." From September 2020- "As I had said before, we're done with animation. We may continue to pickup a feature here and there."
Okay, since it appears they neither Universal nor Kino-Lorber is interested, we’ll have to live with those lousy season two “flipper” discs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thetutorsdirectory
Recent bookmarks