What's new

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Thanks again Mark, that’s quite a review of the cartoons that were in the main shows. Most of those cartoons rings a bell. But I don’t recall ever seeing the King Leonardo and The King and Odie! My memories are what I saw in syndication of course.
Yeah, "The King & Odie" in syndication ran on the original "King Leonardo" and the later episodes (produced for Tennessee Tuxedo) were on "Dudley Do Right And Friends." There was a 15-minute version of "The King & Odie" syndicated in the 1960s but then it wasn't seen for years. Both Leonardo and Do-Right showed up in Chicago in the 1980s. Do-Right was later on Cartoon Network and Boomerang, and about 15 years ago King Leonardo was running on the "Black Family Channel." But neither one shows up very often. Tooter Turtle is one of my favorite characters, but I first saw him on "Tennessee Tuxedo."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I had not looked into these cartoons this closely until the other day when I started this thread. So it’s interesting to learn how in the main shows, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog, and Tennessee Tuxedo has the shorts inserted, but with no negatives that exists with the shorts for complete episodes. It appears the shorts were made as separate elements and re-aired later in different orders. It makes me think this is still early days of television and no standards or plans were made on how to manage all the cartoon shorts within the main shows.

One of the shorts I’m interested in are the Peabody and Mr. Sherman shorts and I see there’s a separate DVD that claims to have all 91 episodes. Makes me wonder if the Universal compete Rocky and Bullwinkle set has all the 91 episodes of Peabody and Mr. Sherman.

I have not committed yet, but I’m feeling it’s a pretty good place to start to just buy the current complete sets out now of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo. I didn’t realize the later two are from Shout, so that’s interesting their catalog has grown to include these too. :). It seems like a pretty modest investment for all 3 sets for about $100.00 to revisit our childhood.

Amazon reviews also mention music issues and the excessive use of DVNR on the Tennessee Tuxedo cartoons as well as the musical changes. Thanks Mark and everyone for the insights.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
One of the shorts I’m interested in are the Peabody and Mr. Sherman shorts and I see there’s a separate DVD that claims to have all 91 episodes. Makes me wonder if the Universal compete Rocky and Bullwinkle set has all the 91 episodes of Peabody and Mr. Sherman.
I have the original season 1-4 DVD's and they have 88 of the 91 shorts, the last 3 will be on season 5. Universal's re-release should be the same as the 100% Complete BULL-WINKLE set.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I had not looked into these cartoons this closely until the other day when I started this thread. So it’s interesting to learn how in the main shows, Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog, and Tennessee Tuxedo has the shorts inserted, but with no negatives that exists with the shorts for complete episodes. It appears the shorts were made as separate elements and re-aired later in different orders. It makes me think this is still early days of television and no standards or plans were made on how to manage all the cartoon shorts within the main shows.

I have not committed yet, but I’m feeling it’s a pretty good place to start to just buy the current complete sets out now of Rocky and Bullwinkle, Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo. I didn’t realize the later two are from Shout, so that’s interesting their catalog has grown to include these too. :). It seems like a pretty modest investment for all 3 sets for about $100.00 to revisit our childhood.

Amazon reviews also mention music issues and the excessive use of DVNR on the Tennessee Tuxedo cartoons as well as the musical changes. Thanks Mark and everyone for the insights.
Sponsor General Mills owns the domestic TV rights to these cartoons "in perpetuity." Rights for home video are different. Until a few years ago, most of the old syndicated TV packages were still available through DFS Program Exchange and they would pop up here and there because (If I understand correctly) they were offered as "barter," i.e. they cost the TV station nothing as long as they aired the General Mills commercials. Since DFS folded, I don't know what the current U.S. TV status is now. My guess is if they ever show up again, they won't be in the same configurations of the last 40-50 years. But who knows?

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Sponsor General Mills owns the domestic TV rights to these cartoons "in perpetuity." Rights for home video are different. Until a few years ago, most of the old syndicated TV packages were still available through DFS Program Exchange and they would pop up here and there because (If I understand correctly) they were offered as "barter," i.e. they cost the TV station nothing as long as they aired the General Mills commercials. Since DFS folded, I don't know what the current U.S. TV status is now. My guess is if they ever show up again, they won't be in the same configurations of the last 40-50 years. But who knows?
Universal has the rights to the whole series, including home entertainment and tv airings. They are current owners of all Jay Ward/Bullwinkle Studios and Classic Media properties.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would also like to see the complete Hoppity Hooper. I don't know if it was ever released on DVD. I think it was on Hoppity Hooper that I saw most of the Commander McBragg episodes.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I love the Jay Ward style of humor. I gotta say, though, my favorite "Not Jay Ward" Jay Ward kinda show was Roger Ramjet. That was laugh out loud funny even as an adult.

After your post, I watched an episode on YouTube and later showed it to my wife. I don't know how I ever missed that show. I need to see more!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I remember Commander McBragg from Underdog when it was on Cartoon Network in the mid 90s.

Last edited:

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I would also like to see the complete Hoppity Hooper. I don't know if it was ever released on DVD. I think it was on Hoppity Hooper that I saw most of the Commander McBragg episodes.
I would love to see that as well. Years ago someone bootlegged them on VHS from showings on the New York ABC affiliate. They cut out all the other segments because they were the same as on the Bullwinkle show. Some of that stuff later found its way onto "Dollar DVDs" from a company called East West. But they were mediocre transfers from off-air tape dubs.

Those should have been extras on the Rocky & Bullwinkle DVDs. They could have just released the Hoppity Hooper cartoons on their own, there are 104 of them and I'm not sure how long they are, 4 minutes? But it's probably the same old story, these shows are more than 50 years old and they have fallen off the radar.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
For those interested in taking a deep dive into the subject, there is a book published in 2000 called "The Moose that Roared: The Story of Jay Ward, Bill Scott, a Flying Squirrel, and a Talking Moose" by Keith Scott. The book includes program synopses and voice credits for all of the Jay Ward shows. The hardcover edition is out of print but copies are available at Amazon and elsewhere.
The Moose That Roared.jpg

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn

Having recently purchased Tennessee and Underdog from Shout I now have all three of these sets and have found them a very pleasant foray back into my childhood. In this wild and crazy world in which we live it's nice to drown out all the noise for a few moments and pretend life is simpler. Underdog and that crazy penguin are warm, sweet and smile inducing. Rocky and Bullwinkle are a different animal altogether (no pun intended). While it is funny, it is also incredibly clever. There are layers to it I never noticed before. It is more of an adult cartoon. That moose has a wry wit. And I love the narration by William Conrad. So if you invest a measly $100 for these three cartoons, I think you will be rewarded many times over.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For those interested in taking a deep dive into the subject, there is a book published in 2000 called "The Moose that Roared: The Story of Jay Ward, Bill Scott, a Flying Squirrel, and a Talking Moose" by Keith Scott. The book includes program synopses and voice credits for all of the Jay Ward shows. The hardcover edition is out of print but copies are available at Amazon and elsewhere. View attachment 86827
Thanks for recommending it, Rich. I have that book, and for fans of the show, it's a MUST!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the great recommendations on the book and discs. I’m glad to see so many fans here with so much knowledge!

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
Thanks for the great recommendations on the book and discs. I’m glad to see so many fans here with so much knowledge!
Have you ever heard of Jay's only "live action" series Fractured Flickers? I high recommend you watch it, it's essentially the lost season of Rocky & Bullwinkle.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I’d read about Fractured Flickers when I looked up Jay Ward Last weekend. I was mainly interested in the specific cartoons I remembered from my youth that got this thread started. :) So I could look into those Fractured Flickers. Thanks.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
I’d read about Fractured Flickers when I looked up Jay Ward Last weekend. I was mainly interested in the specific cartoons I remembered from my youth that got this thread started. :) So I could look into those Fractured Flickers. Thanks.
Here's a little taste of the series.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I would like to see Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo released again as complete shows and some restoration but it probably won't happen. I have the Shout DVD's but they did a poor job with these just releasing what they received with no additional work done. Tennessee Tuxedo wasn't assembled as complete shows and Underdog was assembled as incomplete 17 minute shows.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
For those interested in taking a deep dive into the subject, there is a book published in 2000 called "The Moose that Roared: The Story of Jay Ward, Bill Scott, a Flying Squirrel, and a Talking Moose" by Keith Scott. The book includes program synopses and voice credits for all of the Jay Ward shows. The hardcover edition is out of print but copies are available at Amazon and elsewhere.

This is a fun read. One of the interesting bits of trivia is that this was the first animated show to have the main work done in L.A., with all the inbetweens done elsewhere, specifically Mexico. As I recall, problems arose from the Mexican staff not being new and unfamiliar with animation or story content, and that accounted for the changes in character style.

ChrisOC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Peterson
Here's the original-original opening, with Frank Comstock's weird and wonderful theme. This music is General Mills' property, and (sad to say) that's why it wasn't used for the DVDs. I believe it was included on the Buena Vista laserdiscs, though.

Here's the same theme without voiceover, from a different animated opening (the video is terrible, but beside the point here). It's a remarkable composition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simkn-Hans