Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
That's not the only release that's done that-- Imavision's original Little House seasonals had one opening for the whole disc on each of the discs; they probably thought that viewers wanted to get right to the story (cut to the chase, as it were), and so they just used the standard-form opening of that 1974-83 NBC series as a disc-wide opening, IIRC.
I saw an alternate 3rd season theme on YouTube for Gilligan's Island that wasn't used in syndication or the DVD sets. It's rather odd! Instead the S2 opener was used for all of S3.

On the VHS releases for The Beverly Hillbillies from Columbia House, there were several color episodes from earlier seasons that used the opening for S9 where all you hear is "The Beverly Hillbillies" and it goes straight to the instrumental without hearing "come listen to my story..."

The Obsolete Man

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I finally got to take a quick look at the new Blu-Ray set. They got a lot right about the set but they made a HORRIBLE decision that I can't believe that no one is talking about. Indeed, it seems that no one has even noticed. Rather than transfer the opening credits for each episode, Mill Creek simply chose to take the video portion of the first episode answering machine portion and use that for all episodes. The audio stays the same. The length of the answering machine messages vary minutely. So, they have to tinker with the video to stretch it out or shorten it. The audio portion stays the same. It's a really bizarre decision as it's only about 13 seconds of video. It can't have saved them much money considering they still needed someone to tinker with the video to make sure it lined up with the audio of the answering machine message. The video footage of the answering machine segment changed about midway through the season. So, in effect, it means that all episodes from that point on are edited and are not the original broadcast versions.
Dont blame Mill Creek. That's all on Universal trying to save a few pennies.

Tony Bensley

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I saw an alternate 3rd season theme on YouTube for Gilligan's Island that wasn't used in syndication or the DVD sets. It's rather odd! Instead the S2 opener was used for all of S3.

On the VHS releases for The Beverly Hillbillies from Columbia House, there were several color episodes from earlier seasons that used the opening for S9 where all you hear is "The Beverly Hillbillies" and it goes straight to the instrumental without hearing "come listen to my story..."
I believe the 3rd season GILLIGAN'S ISLAND opening differences were of the more subtle variety, with the different looking lightning strike, and the audio having more echo, or something along that line.

Regarding THE ROCKFORD FILES; are the original openings intact on the DVD sets?

CHEERS! :)

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randall
I've finally gotten around to watching and finishing the Rockford Files complete series Blu ray set. This represents a HUGE upgrade over the my old Universal issued DVDs. The HD episodes often look stunning, very sharp and with vivid and natural color. I simply can't understand the negative "reviews" that were referenced on page one of this thread...after Rich's very accurate (and in my mind, absolutely correct) review. If The Rockford Files is an important and essential series for you, as it is for me, (my absolute favorite '70s show) don't hesitate to upgrade! Especially at the better sale prices it sometimes lists at. I think I'll pick up their Blu set of Miami Vice. Judging from this beautiful treatment of Rockford Files, pray that Mill Creek gives us an HD region A upgrade of Magnum P.I.

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I've finally gotten around to watching and finishing the Rockford Files complete series Blu ray set. This represents a HUGE upgrade over the my old Universal issued DVDs. The HD episodes often look stunning, very sharp and with vivid and natural color. I simply can't understand the negative "reviews" that were referenced on page one of this thread...after Rich's very accurate (and in my mind, absolutely correct) review. If The Rockford Files is an important and essential series for you, as it is for me, (my absolute favorite '70s show) don't hesitate to upgrade! Especially at the better sale prices it sometimes lists at. I think I'll pick up their Blu set of Miami Vice. Judging from this beautiful treatment of Rockford Files, pray that Mill Creek gives us an HD region A upgrade of Magnum P.I.
That Blu Rockford all-in-one-- don't know if I asked, but do the seasons within (outside of the sixth and final 10-episode go) have the discs stacked up two to a side?

Reactions: Flashgear

Flashgear

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randall
Yes Ben, that's how they are configured in the 4 BD sets for seasons 1 to 5...2 discs stacked on each spindle. And just as you said, only 2 BD for the abbreviated season 6. Not a big deal for me, I consider this the best vintage TV HD treatment of the last year, along with KL's great season one of Outer Limits. If you can get the Rockford Files Blu set on sale, all the better. I got mine for $55 on Amazon.

bmasters9

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
Yes Ben, that's how they are configured in the 4 BD sets for seasons 1 to 5...2 discs stacked on each spindle. And just as you said, only 2 BD for the abbreviated season 6. Not a big deal for me, I consider this the best vintage TV HD treatment of the last year, along with KL's great season one of Outer Limits. If you can get the Rockford Files Blu set on sale, all the better. I got mine for $55 on Amazon.
That's what I thought it was! I recall seeing someone showing the cases for the Miami Vice and Knight Rider Blus, and they were the same way.

Scott Merryfield

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
That Blu Rockford all-in-one-- don't know if I asked, but do the seasons within (outside of the sixth and final 10-episode go) have the discs stacked up two to a side?
If you are worried about damage to the discs, I wouldn't concern yourself with that. I have this set, and have been slowly working my way through it -- I am currently on the 3rd season. None of the discs have been damaged in any way -- they are all pristine.

Richard Gallagher

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
I finally got to take a quick look at the new Blu-Ray set. They got a lot right about the set but they made a HORRIBLE decision that I can't believe that no one is talking about. Indeed, it seems that no one has even noticed. Rather than transfer the opening credits for each episode, Mill Creek simply chose to take the video portion of the first episode answering machine portion and use that for all episodes. The audio stays the same. The length of the answering machine messages vary minutely. So, they have to tinker with the video to stretch it out or shorten it. The audio portion stays the same. It's a really bizarre decision as it's only about 13 seconds of video. It can't have saved them much money considering they still needed someone to tinker with the video to make sure it lined up with the audio of the answering machine message. The video footage of the answering machine segment changed about midway through the season. So, in effect, it means that all episodes from that point on are edited and are not the original broadcast versions.
I have no idea what you are talking about. The opening credits on the Blu-ray set are exactly the same as on the Universal DVD set. What is it, specifically, that you believe they are supposed to look like? Do you actually remember what they looked like when you saw them more than 40 years ago?

And even if you are correct, how can it be a horrible decision when no one other than you has noticed? The only actors who are credited during the answering machine segment are Garner and Noah Beery. That's how it always has been. The rest of the credits appear during the opening scene of each episode.

dev2000man

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter
I have no idea what you are talking about. The opening credits on the Blu-ray set are exactly the same as on the Universal DVD set. What is it, specifically, that you believe they are supposed to look like? Do you actually remember what they looked like when you saw them more than 40 years ago?

And even if you are correct, how can it be a horrible decision when no one other than you has noticed? The only actors who are credited during the answering machine segment are Garner and Noah Beery. That's how it always has been. The rest of the credits appear during the opening scene of each episode.
Almost... there was a credit change early on in season 3. At that point Joe Santos' name gets to follow Noah Beery's in the answering machine segment, instead of the opening scene credits (actually, for the first few season 3 episodes, Santos is onscreen, but uncredited!). I never saw original broadcasts, but the Blu-Rays seem to match up with the reruns I viewed.

Perhaps William is referring to the scan across Rockford's desk as the answering machine plays. I somewhat recall that varying slightly across seasons, but it looks consistent on all the Blu-Ray episodes. But I do not see it causing any timing problems myself..

Richard Gallagher

Cinematographer
Reviewer
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Almost... there was a credit change early on in season 3. At that point Joe Santos' name gets to follow Noah Beery's in the answering machine segment, instead of the opening scene credits (actually, for the first few season 3 episodes, Santos is onscreen, but uncredited!). I never saw original broadcasts, but the Blu-Rays seem to match up with the reruns I viewed.

Perhaps William is referring to the scan across Rockford's desk as the answering machine plays. I somewhat recall that varying slightly across seasons, but it looks consistent on all the Blu-Ray episodes. But I do not see it causing any timing problems myself..
And the answering machine messages are all the originals, confirmed by Ed Robertson's excellent books on The Rockford Files. So if there was minor tinkering with the opening credits video - which, it seems to me, is impossible to prove - why should anyone care?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
I came back to do a thorough search on the set. Christmas and birthday are both next month, and I think I'm going to swing for either this, or I'll swing for Charlie's Angels on blu if it comes down just a bit. I read some horrible reviews on Amazon, including one person who said every episode was shortened by 20 seconds. It's nice to see the Negative Nancy's are wrong!

Nelson Au

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Hey guys-

I wanted to chime in on this thread now that I finally own the Mill Creek blu ray set of The Rockford Files. I just received it last week. It’s been a set I’ve been wanting to add to my collection for some time. I never bought the DVD sets. i remember watching the series as a kid and then later in syndication. I also vividly remember in 1974 seeing the pilot film on NBC.

Last night I opened the set and watched Backlash of the Hunter. Since I remember seeing the pilot in 1974, I know it was a 90 minute TV film. So I figured the blu-ray has the syndicated version split in 2 parts. It’s a little disappointing they didn’t include the original cut. I will have to spend some time and read this whole thread and the other Rockford thread To better understand, but I see the original cut is on one of the DVD sets. So I may have to buy one of those.

As I said, I remember watching the series in my youth and was a fan. And it was the 1980’s in syndication that I really watched it daily too. But I have not seen the series much since then. So I was looking forward to revisiting the series on this blu ray set. I’ve only watched the pilot so far and I thought it looked great! Image quality is great. The sound was a bit thin, though that is what it is. It’s not a deal breaker. It was a little odd not seeing Noah Berry as Rocky! But it was the pilot.

Wiseguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erich P. Wise

I have no idea what's on the DVDs and Blu-Rays but on the original NBC broadcasts Joe Santos was added to the opening credits at the start of the second season. This made the opening longer with longer messages and sometimes three telephone rings. If you have second or third season episodes with Joe Santos' name not in the opening credits than it's not the original opening and explains why it seems Joe Santos is not credited in some episodes.

I recall two versions of the syndicated "Backlash of the Hunter": one had a phone message (from the fifth season) by Off. Billings about Chapman's anniversary; the other had no message at all, it went from the phone machine's beep directly to the theme music.

But I still don't think the original pilot has ever been released in any form. I asked about it two years ago but as far as I can tell I never got a response. This is what I wrote:

"Although I do not have the DVDs or Blu-Rays, I do have the VHS version which I have been told is the version on the Region 1 DVDs. This is NOT the original version. The most obvious change is the theme music is re-recorded (stereo?). The original had the same recording as the first-season episodes. Also they tried to make it look like a movie with no commercial breaks. The "space" between acts were removed and in some cases, the act-ending and next-act-opening music was removed. And in one case the act was shortened: originally, after Angel tells Sara he and Rockford were in the pen together, the camera focused on Lindsay Wagner's face in a freeze frame while a piece of music played. On the VHS, the entire freeze frame was removed and the next act begins immediately with the opening music of the next act also removed. Ironically, this was left intact on the 2-part version even though no commercial was placed there. The final music at the end in the Las Vegas jail is not the same as in the syndicated episodes so I would assume that is new music also. Having only seen the original once when NBC reran it in 1976 and not having seen the original "This Case Is Closed" I would have bought the DVDs just to see the original versions after seeing the syndicated versions so often.

As a side note on the 2-part version, for some reason Stuart Margolin is not credited."

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birlaestates10