What's new

The Rockford Files: The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I sold off my DVDs when this was announced in BD and have been setting aside some Amazon credits to take the bite out of the cost. This price drop got me to my price point, so I'll be getting this sooner than I anticipated. I do not buy many TV series, but this is one of my favorites.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Willing to gamble on the quality for this price, especially since the set'll have a smaller footprint on my shelves than the old DVDs would.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If you have an Amazon credit card, you build up credits based on your purchases with the card both on Amazon and with regular credit card use. The thing is you can't use the credits on a pre-order.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
If you have an Amazon credit card, you build up credits based on your purchases with the card both on Amazon and with regular credit card use. The thing is you can't use the credits on a pre-order.
Actually, you can now use the credits on pre-orders -- I used about $33 worth on this pre-order, and I also used some several months ago for my pre-order of The Bird With the Crystal Plumage, which is not out until 6/20/17.

The Chase Amazon card works well for me -- 5% credit on Amazon purchases, 2% at restaurants, gas stations and drug stores, and 1% everywhere else. Plus no transaction fees on international currency, so I can use the card when we go to Canada, too. I use it as my primary card, and use the credits for fun stuff like BDs.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Thanks for letting me know they changed the policy on that! Rockford is the kind of show I feel like I have to have even though among Universal 70s cop/detective shows its not one of my favorites and having the Blu-Ray to save shelf-space at a low price is something I'm all for. Just placed the order and thanks to credits, the final cost is just $30 for me. :)

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
I've got two Blu ray sets from Mill Creek and the three stooges movies and never had any problems. Has anyone ever had problems with their Blu-ray sets?

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
No. I have the Quantum Leap and That 70s Show MC Blu-ray sets as well as several of their horror, SF, and Harryhausen movie releases. All are fine. I just wish they had subtitles - the only negative I have with their BR releases.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
No. I have the Quantum Leap and That 70s Show MC Blu-ray sets as well as several of their horror, SF, and Harryhausen movie releases. All are fine. I just wish they had subtitles - the only negative I have with their BR releases.

The reason I ask is there was a review on amazon about problems with Mill Creek Blue-ray sets. Can't discount the possibility of bad discs but sometimes I wonder if peoples players may have a lot of hours on them. I've read that the lasers tend to lose the ability to track as well over time.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The reason I ask is there was a review on amazon about problems with Mill Creek Blue-ray sets. Can't discount the possibility of bad discs but sometimes I wonder if peoples players may have a lot of hours on them. I've read that the lasers tend to lose the ability to track as well over time.

IIRC, The Quantum Leap set had packing problems. They put the wrong discs in the wrong cases. That also led to a few people missing discs.

But for most people, a simple repack of the cases fixed the problem.

morasp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
steve
IIRC, The Quantum Leap set had packing problems. They put the wrong discs in the wrong cases. That also led to a few people missing discs.

But for most people, a simple repack of the cases fixed the problem.

The review I read on Amazon mentioned discs that wouldn't play in the Quantum Leap and Airwolf sets.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It's also coming on DVD; that's the version I just preordered from Amazon for a Father's Day present.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's also coming on DVD; that's the version I just preordered from Amazon for a Father's Day present.

The problem with Mill Creek DVD sets is that they generally try to fit too many episodes per disc. DVD -- locked in to the MPEG-2 codec combined with 4.7 GB per layer -- can handle about 90 minutes per layer without displaying too many compression artifacts. So on a dual-layer DVD it’s stretching it to get 4 50 minute episodes per disc. There were 122 episodes of "The Rockford Files" and Mill Creek is stuffing them onto 22 DVDs. You're much better off with the Blus; especially considering the current Amazon price of $56 for the set!!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The problem with Mill Creek DVD sets is that they generally try to fit too many episodes per disc. DVD -- locked in to the MPEG-2 codec combined with 4.7 GB per layer -- can handle about 90 minutes per layer without displaying too many compression artifacts. So on a dual-layer DVD it’s stretching it to get 4 50 minute episodes per disc. There were 122 episodes of "The Rockford Files" and Mill Creek is stuffing them onto 22 DVDs. You're much better off with the Blus.

You've got a point there-- not to leave out, the horrible packaging!

HonkyTonkMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Erik
I won't ever be buying any of the Mill Creek Entertainment releases of The Rockford Files.
Mill Creek Entertainment probably always uses horrendous packaging for all of their TV Series' DVD or Blu-Ray sets.
Mill Creek Entertainment's style of packaging doesn't protect discs.
Mill Creek Entertainment loves having their discs stacked directly on top of each other and they also love to place their discs in paper sleeves, a perfect way to scratch up discs pretty badly.
Mill Creek Entertainment also usually puts too many one-hour episodes onto a single DVD disc.
I dislike Mill Creek Entertainment so very much that I don't ever want to spend any more money on their releases ever again.
I have the Mill Creek Entertainment DVD releases of the first, third, fourth and fifth seasons of Highway to Heaven.
The packaging that Mill Creek Entertainment used for the first, third, fourth and fifth seasons of Highway to Heaven was absolutely disgraceful and miserable.
As a result, I had to buy spare plastic 5-disc DVD cases for the first, third and fourth seasons of Highway to Heaven.
As a result, I had to buy a spare plastic 3-disc DVD case for the fifth season of Highway to Heaven.
Mill Creek Entertainment's DVD releases of the first, third, fourth and fifth seasons of Highway to Heaven are the only Mill Creek Entertainment TV Series' releases that I've ever bought.
I have the A&E DVD releases of the first, second and third seasons of Highway to Heaven.

I have The Rockford Files: The Complete Collection 34-disc DVD box set that Universal released in 2015.
The packaging that Universal used for that 34-disc DVD box set is perfect.
Each of the six seasons of The Rockford Files are stored in separate plastic DVD cases.
The Rockford Files: Movie Collection (Volumes 1 and 2) are stored in two separate plastic DVD cases.
So, that's eight different plastic DVD cases stored inside of the cardboard slipcase cover.
None of the discs share the same disc holding tray and none of the discs overlap any discs either.
I'm so very pleased with that 34-disc DVD box set thus far.
I started playing Disc #1 of this 34-disc DVD box set on May 31, 2017.
The episodes that I've seen on DVD thus far weren't digitally remastered, but the picture quality is still extremely watchable.
I've seen all 23 episodes of Season 1 on DVD and those 23 episodes all seem to be presented in uncut form.
I've timed all 23 of those episodes.
21 of those 23 episodes run anywhere from 50:12 to 50:29 on this 34-disc DVD box set.
This Case is Closed, Part 2 runs for 49:31 on this 34-disc DVD box set.
Claire runs for 49:12 on this 34-disc DVD box set.
So, I still have 28 more discs yet to play from that 34-disc DVD box set.
I will time all of the episodes from 1974-1980 and all eight of the Rockford Files TV movies from 1994-1999.
Before I started playing Disc #1 of this 34-disc DVD box set, I hadn't ever seen any episodes of this TV Series.
I still haven't yet seen any of the eight Rockford Files TV movies from 1994-1999.
I think that this is a very good TV Series and I can easily see why this TV Series is still shown on TV in syndication.

Last edited:

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I won't ever be buying any of the Mill Creek Entertainment releases of The Rockford Files.
Mill Creek Entertainment probably always uses horrendous packaging for all of their TV Series' DVD or Blu-Ray sets.
Mill Creek Entertainment also usually puts too many one hour episodes onto a single disc.

Going by Quantum Leap and other Uni TV releases, the packaging will be two discs stacked on each other on either side of the case. So not as bad as paper envelopes.

And the average disc will have 6 episodes per disc, which is more than acceptable with Blu.

So, it's your choice, but as far as their Blu releases go, your criticisms and fears are generally unfounded.

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
They seem to treat dvd and blu ray very differently. I've seen the Miami Vice and other recent blu sets in stores and they seem to be separate standard case season sets in a larger box (like the Universal DVD set so to speak). However, their DVD sets tend to be really crappy packaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sajidjadoonisbb
Recent bookmarks