The Rocketeer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike_S, May 12, 2002.

1. Mike_S

Mike_S Stunt Coordinator

With DISNEY getting a lot of discussion in this forum, I was wondering if anyone has heard of a re-issue of THE ROCKETEER, a pretty enjoyable (IMO) action film. The current version from all accounts is certainly not up to Disney's standards of late (all OAR controversies aside). My understanding is that it's not 16:9 enhanced and is absolutely 'bare bones' with maybe the theatrical trailer as the only extra. I believe that THE ROCKETEER deserves a new release with a 16:9 enhancement and full blown DD / DTS

5.1 sound and TONS of supplements. A 2 Disc S.E. would be just perfect.

2. Travis Olson

Travis Olson Supporting Actor

Travis Olson
    I agree, the current release is absolute garbage. It is almost as bad as VHS, seriously. About the only good thing about it is the fact that it is widescreen. I haven't heard of any plans for a re-release, but you never know.

Also, I think they should have done a sequel to the film, but apparently it didn't make enough money to merit one.

3. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

The current DVD served the purpose of allowing me and my family to try it out and see what it was like.

Now that we know the film is awesome, I would LOVE for an SE treatment of The Rocketeer. It would be a day-and-date purchase for me! Great flick; severely underrated!

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    And with Jennifer Connelly getting popular(in the Academy's eyes) it would be a good time to do it.

Haven't seen it, and don't really plan on seeing it untill it's 16x9

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I believe Rocketeer was intended to be a trilogy but the first one bombed killing any thoughts of a sequel.

6. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Loved 'The Rocketeer', a good fun adventure film.

Timothy Dalton played it perfectly as The Villain, and luscious Jennifer Connelly lit up the screen as the Rocketeers gorgeous babe, plus a superb James Horner score.

I have the original bare bones dvd release, and would buy it again in an instant if a remastered special edition popped up, heres hoping.

7. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Hmmm....a anamorphic Vista Series Rocketeer DVD with all sorts of extras and DTS.....(drool). Disney, I want! I want![​IMG]

8. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck
    I've heard that the current release is not only non-anamorpihc, but also incorrectly framed. It's supposed to be 2.35:1, but I've read that the DVD is actually about 2:1. Is this true?

Sorry; incorrect ratios are a pet peeve of mine.

9. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

I too would jump on an SE of this great movie in a hearbeat.

10. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

A special edition would be great, but most importantly this lovely movie needs a terrific transfer with all the beautiful connelly-o-graphy ...eh ... cinematography [​IMG]
    The PQ is mediocre at best on the current DVD, yuck.

11. Scott Varney

Scott Varney Agent

I love this movie too. And while getting a pristine copy of the film just to look at Jennifer Connelly is certainly a worthwhile endeavor, nobody has mentioned the incredible art-deco design of the film. I loved the look of everything on screen, not just the gorgeous Ms. Connelly.

And it does have a great James Horner score... and I'm not really a fan of Horner.

I don't have the current DVD after having been scared away by all the negative comments on picture quality, but would buy a 16x9 remaster in a minute.

12. Bjoern Roy

Bjoern Roy Second Unit

I also love basically everything in this flik: cinematography, design, score, story, acting. JC is only the icing on the cake.

13. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I bought the LD for $3, video could be better but it does sound great.

Glad I didn't waste my money on the DVD

14. Matt Lucas

Matt Lucas Stunt Coordinator

I bought THE ROCKETEER on VHS many years ago, and, while it's not one I watch every 2 months, it's a wonderful, fun movie that's very well made. Even more, the film was absolutely in the style and spirit of the comic books, which is something most comic-based films fall quite short of [SPIDERMAN was reasonably successful at this, but most others aren't, in my opinion.]
    I don't know if any of the Disney folks keep up with this forum, but if so, I hope they'll take note of this thread.
    I think this is a film that, if marketed properly, would do quite well as a re-release. I've played it for many of my nieces and nephews, all of whom loved it. And as I've grown older, I've rediscovered films like this one---a fun movie without too much violence, profanity, etc. It's a fun film with good performances. Is this a deep, important movie? No. But it's definitely a very GOOD one, and one I always recommend.
    You can count me in if it's a special edition with a new, anamorphic transfer. Any extras are welcome as well, though I'd be happy just having a great new transfer of the film.
    How about two commentary tracks: one with comic creator Dave Stevens and a second with stars Billy Campbell and Jennifer Connelly? Connelly's star is obviously on the rise, and Campbell was featured on the TV show, Once and Again, as well as on the upcoming J.Lo vehicle, Enough. Director Joe Johnston has also gone onto bigger fame, adding Jurassic Park III and Jumanji to his resume.
    The Internet Movie Database states that at least one deleted scene exists.
    http://us.imdb.com/Trivia?0102803
    mattl

15. Marty Christion

Marty Christion Stunt Coordinator

If you want to see a Disney title, you should call or email their 800 number. If enough people request it, it will get made. How do you think Newsies (a huge box office failure) got "Special Edition" treatment?

16. Lee Bombard

Lee Bombard Stunt Coordinator

Lee
    Hey Marty...Do you think if we call they'll do SONG OF THE SOUTH? [​IMG]
    Regards,
    Lee