What's new

The Rocketeer Blu-ray available for preorder on Amazon (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Synopsis: Celebrate the 20th anniversary of director Joe Johnston’s (Captain America: The First Avenger) action-filled, witty The Rocketeer. Now with state-of-the-art digital restoration and enhanced high definition sound, experience it as it jets off for the first time on Disney Blu-ray™.

The discovery of a top-secret jetpack hurls test pilot Cliff Secord into a daring adventure of mystery, suspense, and intrigue! Cliff encounters an assortment of ruthless villains, led by a Hollywood screen star who is a secret Nazi spy. With the help of his actress girlfriend, the young pilot battles enormous odds to defeat his foes who are anxious to use the device in an evil plan to rule the world. The dangerous mission transforms the ordinary young man into an extraordinary hero.

Talent: Billy Campbell (“The OC,” Enough)

Jennifer Connelly (Blood Diamond, The Dilemma)

Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine, Get Smart)

Timothy Dalton (The Tourist, “Chuck”)

Director: Joe Johnston (Captain America: The First Avenger)

Director of Photography: Hiro Narita (James and the Giant Peach)

Executive Producer: Larry J. Franco (Batman Begins)

Writers: Dave Stevens (graphic novel "The Rocketeer")

Danny Bilson, Paul De Meo & William Dear (story)

Danny Bilson & Paul De Meo (screenplay)

Street Date: December 13, 2011 (Direct Prebook: Oct. 18/Distributor Prebook: Nov. 1)

Release Format: 1 Disc Blu-ray

Suggested Retail Price: $26.50 (US)/$31.50 (Canada)

Feature Run Time: Approx. run time 109 minutes

Rated: PG (US & Canada)

Aspect Ratio: 1080p High Definition/2.35:1

Sound: English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio

Languages: English and French

Subtitles: English SDH and French

Distribution: Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment

# # #

We will post further information once we receive an official press announcement from the studio

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
That's good news! As we've discussed here in the forums, this is a film deserving of HD treatment.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
And something resembling the original cover, too. There are obviously some big fans of the movie over in Burbank.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Neil Middlemiss

Wonderful news!!!

Agreed. This film is a classic that did not received its deserved appreciation at the time of its original release.

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Pre-anorexia J-Co in high-def... :D
rocketeer-jennifer-connelly-512x731.jpg
drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
After looking at the laser disc cover I have on display I can hardly wait for it's release. I do hope there are some good extras as well. I never bothered with the dvd because the video quality left a lot to be desired.

Paul_Warren

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
Excellent movie. Has a very good 1930/40's rocketmen serial feel to it. Timonthy Dalton is a great villain & Joe Johnson did a solid job directing. James Horner's period score & Ken Ralston's supervision of ILM provide plenty of decent action movie moments. Shame it never made much money but that was more down to the unknown at the time Bill Campbell/Jennifer Connolly than the quality of the actual movie!!

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
sometimes, a film has a certain sort of "feel." And some of the best action/comedy films are the ones that it feels like everyone on-screen is having a good time. This, and the, what, 1994? Phantom are two of my most obvious examples of the cast having a ball with making the film. This is one of those films that had, for a while, me wondering if I should get a replacement LD player.. Leo

dmiller68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Miller
I actually really enjoyed this movie. I might pick this up on Bluray but I'm being a little more picky.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Is it true this is just a barebones release? Someone on another board was reporting that as the case, but I haven't seen confirmation yet. What a disappointment if true. Sure it's great to get an anamorphic HD transfer, but calling it a "20th anniversary edition" is a tease when there's no special features. :(

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Haden

Consider the case of The Fox and the Hound: 30th Anniversary Edition. The only new extra was a sequel pretty much nobody wanted; you had to watch the DVD to get (some of) the old extras from the 10-year-old DVD.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Haden said:
Is it true this is just a barebones release? Someone on another board was reporting that as the case, but I haven't seen confirmation yet. What a disappointment if true. Sure it's great to get an anamorphic HD transfer, but calling it a "20th anniversary edition" is a tease when there's no special features. :(
Maybe Universal has just jaded me, but if they have a good transfer, master it well, and encode it with sufficient bit-rate and efficiency to create a transparent presentation, they have earned whatever label they wish to put on it as far as I am concerned. While it should be a given, a solid presentation is the best special feature one could ask for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks