The Rock - which version should I buy?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Dale MA, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    I'm an R2 dweller (with a multi-regional DVD player), recently I've wanted to buy the Rock on DVD but I'm rather confused as to which version I should buy.

Over here in the UK we have a two-disc special edition of the movie which is selling for only £6, however I've seen Criterion Collection edition of The Rock that is selling over in the USA & I can buy that DVD for £25 (& it would mark my first Criterion DVD in my collection!!).

So, which one would you recommend? Is there that much of a difference between the two sets?

2. James Costin

James Costin Agent

Hi Dale (fellow Region 2 dweller)

I have the Criterion Collection version of 'The Rock'. The video and audio on this release is superb and I would throughly recommend it.

It also has a great commentary as well. The rest of the extras aren't that great, but for me the picture and sound quality of the film is the most important factor. I'm not sure as to the quality of the special edition, but you can't go wrong with the Criterion version (if you don't mind paying a bit extra).

Hope this helps!

3. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Yeah, the Criterion DVD has a DTS track doesn't it?

I wonder whether the Criterion version has a better transfer than the R2 SE though...

4. Tim Ke

Tim Ke Stunt Coordinator

I'm not too sure but the R2 could also be possibly censored?

5. Sean Richardson

Sean Richardson Stunt Coordinator

Release-wise, the R2 has almost all the same stuff as the Criterion. The differences seem quite minimal, you can check dvdcompare.net if you want to see for yourself.

Also, according to DVD compare, the R2 2-disc CE of 'The Rock' is not cut, "All previous cuts waived". The old version was.

6. Jon Smith

Jon Smith Stunt Coordinator

They are almost identical. In fact even the menus in the R2 say "Criterion Collection".

and it isnt cut.

Id go for the R2 version nice and cheap.

And if you do decide to get the R1 Criterion, dont spend £25 ! that a complete rip off. Save £10 and go here http://www9.cd-wow.com/detail_result...duct_code=2977

7. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    FYI, the DD 5.1 track on the Criterion Region 1 is superior to the flatter dts mix. Strange, but true. [​IMG]

8. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Cool, thanks for all your help everyone -- I'll just go for the R2 SE & save myself a few quid [​IMG]

9. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Second Unit

Yes, I've heard that the DTS track on The Rock is one of the worst DTS mixes there is. Also, I've heard that the Criterion Collection version is riddled with bugs and errors.

10. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Lead Actor

Tim Glover
    The dts mix is not bad. It's just not nearly as immersive and dynamic as the DD track. The disc looks impressive on my front projector @ 106 inches wide though. Not sure about other issues. Maybe I got lucky! [​IMG] There are some moments of visible grain but it appeared to be from the source and not distracting. Other times, it looks as natural and three dimensional as my reference dvds.

Good luck with the R2 dvd. [​IMG]

11. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

I'm happy with my DTS LD.