What's new

The Rock - R2CE or R1 Criterion (1 Viewer)

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Not sure which version to get - the new region 2 collectors edition, or the region 1 criterion. Both seems to be identical, except that the R2CE doesn't have the TV spots that the R1 Criterion has.

Does anyone know if they used the Criterion version of the film for the new R2 release (as they did with the re-release of Armageddon in R2)?

Thanks.

Darren.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Buena vista did use the Criterion version for the region 2 release. The movie also contains a DTS soundtrack that isn't indicated on the box.

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
Great. Thanks Stephen. Don't to have to source the more expensive Criterion version. I'm not bothered about those extra TV Spots.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Darren as you are in the UK, the cheapest currently appears to be Safeway at £12.99
Others such as Play have this at their usual price level of £14.99

Also this is the first time it has been released uncut in the UK.

Lee_eel

Second Unit
Whatever you pay Darren, the picture and sound rock!!
(that was a pathetic attempt at a joke and i apologise to all forum members!)

Declan

Second Unit
that show always rocked:b :D
alright that was one "rock" too far:D :D :D
Have the r1 Criterion and with a great movie you have a great piece of a/v and extras. But the DTS is dull compared to the Dolby track (which is powerful in the extreme, just the way I like it)

Eujin

Supporting Actor
But the DTS is dull compared to the Dolby track (which is powerful in the extreme, just the way I like it)
Couldn't agree more. This is one of the few discs I know of where I distinctly preferred the Dolby track over
DTS. I found this out the hard way when I used it to calibrate a new receiver's LFE output level for DTS--spent hours trying to get it to right before realizing that the DTS track was inherently inferior.

Declan

Second Unit
the shower scene where the marines kill the seals is a great bit for testing out the difference, as is the opening credits.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks