What's new

The Rock Criterion - DTS..Any good? (1 Viewer)

Larry_W

Agent
I saw this the other day at Best Buy. Love the movie but is the Criterion worth it? How is the DTS soundtrack?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
It's fantastic. IMHO, video and DTS sound are reference quality. Go get it. :emoji_thumbsup:

HankM

Second Unit
I 2nd that. The 16:9 transfer is of reference quality. I kinda prefer the Dolby track over the DTS though.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I've owned three versions of The Rock on LD and two on DVD. The Criterion version is the best this film has ever looked on home video.

M.

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Definately get it. The DD version is fuller on my sytem with deeper bass. Before someone jumps all over me for saying the DD version has more bass. The answer is "yes my LFE trim is at it's max in DTS mode".

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
Both tracks sound terrific on this disc, but this is one of the few times that the Dolby Digital track sounds slightly better better than the DTS track.

The DTS laserdisc is another story, though. That soundtrack blows away both of the soundtracks on the DVD. The LD has a full bit-rate DTS track as compared to the half bit-rate on the DVD.

David Coleman

Supporting Actor
I have to agree that on this one the DD sounds better than the DTS. I don't know why but this is the first title I've ever noticed that!

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, may have to get this one just for the DD. I have no "religious" conviction that DTS is better than DD, but they had been so far. It seemed the opinion in this case is pretty unanimous.

Kwang Suh

Supporting Actor
The Rock: CC has the absolute best video transfer I have ever seen. Nothing tops it, not even stuff like F&F.

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Kwang Suh. The Rock (Criterion) has an aboslutely stunning video transfer, probably the best live action transfer that I saw from last year's releases.

Joe

Robert McClanahan

Stunt Coordinator
Go get this one.Dont even hesitate.I havent listened to the DD track yet but I will now since reading all the replies.The audio is fantastic,and the video is near hi def(in progressive with a hi def tv)with a black level that is unmatched.

William Ward

Supporting Actor
The Video on this DVD is excellent. The DD soundtrack is in my opinion no better than the DTS soundtrack. I've swithced between both and found that even on dialog scenes, the SPL of the DD is about 4db louder than the DTS. SO basically, the DTS suffers from what most DD tracks suffer from. If you want an accurate comparision of these tracks(as with any other DTS-DD comparison) make sure they are played at the same SPL.

Definately get this DVD.

Rollo Lee

Agent
I think it has something to do with the cinematography of the film itself. You know, that music video look with the highly saturated colours, strong contrast, and all that. Especially the particular way it's done in Michael Bay films. It's so visually striking to begin with that it makes any transfer seem more impressive by association.

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>It's so visually striking to begin with that it makes any transfer seem more impressive by association.

Rollo Lee

Agent
No, no, the new transfer is definitely better. I was referring more to the "best transfer ever" comments. However, while the transfer on the first DVD isn't great (I think it's taken from the LD actually), it still looks okay because the source material is so striking.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
The Criterion "The Rock" is fabulous. The anamorphic picture alone makes it worth the money, not to mention the soundtrack and all the extras. Go buy it now!

-Max

Gruson

Second Unit
The video transfer is the best out there. It looks almost HD (1080i).

I have never seen a DVD look this good!

Pick it up at deepdiscountdvd.com for a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks