The Rock (Criterion) Disc Errors?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jesse Blacklow, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow Cinematographer

I've been having a problem with The Rock (Criterion Collection) that so far has occurred over two copies, one a replacement straight from BV/Criterion.

At roughly the same point (1:11:30) in the movie (Disc 1), on any soundtrack, the audio and video break up, becoming digital noise and garbled sounds. This originally happened on a disc I ordered from DVDEmpire, and I thought it may have happened due to a scratch during shipping, although it played fine when I first got it. This happened on any DVD player I tried it in: STB, HTPC, PS2, and XBox. So, I called Buena Vista, they were nice, and sent me a replacement, shrink-wrapped and everything.

And it's happened again. Obviously, it's not my DVD player (HTPC), which has virtually no problems with any other discs, because it happens on anything else with a DVD drive. The replacement copy doesn't look like the same disc (visible scratch on the 1st one), but the same thing happened. I've cleaned the disc very carefully, using a very soft cloth, no harsh cleaners, but no dice. So, is there a certain line of pressed copies that exhibits this problem, or is my situation unique?

2. BrentPollard

BrentPollard Second Unit

I have watched my CC version of "The Rock" 3 times and have not noticed any problems. If I have time tonight I'll cue up that time and have a look.

3. The Void

The Void Agent

I've watched my copy of The Rock Criterion 2 or 3 times and didn't notice anything like you describe. I did have a DVD player die while I was going through the menu on The Rock, but that was just a coincidence. It was a Toshiba SD-1200 and it wouldn't spin up the disc and displayed "Disc Error". This was on my parents' player and I am still using a Toshiba SD-1200 problem free for over 3 years.

If I get a chance tonight I can try that spot and report back. My copy would be a first pressing since I got it on the release date.

4. Nathan_W

Nathan_W Stunt Coordinator

I just happened to watch my copy of The Rock Criterion Ed. the other nite, didn't notice anything strange either. By the way my dvd player is a sony dvp-nc650v, in case you're wondering.

5. ZackR

ZackR Supporting Actor

I had that exact same problem. It was right at the beginning of Chapter 18 (if I remember correctly). It would beak up and would go no further. I would have to skip to the next chapter. I took it back to th store bought it from and they exchanged it. The manager said I was the fourth person in the last several months that had brought the disc back for that same reason. This was about 6 months ago. Anyways, my replacement copy plays just fine.

Zack