What's new

The Rock (Criterion) Disc Errors? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I've been having a problem with The Rock (Criterion Collection) that so far has occurred over two copies, one a replacement straight from BV/Criterion.

At roughly the same point (1:11:30) in the movie (Disc 1), on any soundtrack, the audio and video break up, becoming digital noise and garbled sounds. This originally happened on a disc I ordered from DVDEmpire, and I thought it may have happened due to a scratch during shipping, although it played fine when I first got it. This happened on any DVD player I tried it in: STB, HTPC, PS2, and XBox. So, I called Buena Vista, they were nice, and sent me a replacement, shrink-wrapped and everything.

And it's happened again. Obviously, it's not my DVD player (HTPC), which has virtually no problems with any other discs, because it happens on anything else with a DVD drive. The replacement copy doesn't look like the same disc (visible scratch on the 1st one), but the same thing happened. I've cleaned the disc very carefully, using a very soft cloth, no harsh cleaners, but no dice. So, is there a certain line of pressed copies that exhibits this problem, or is my situation unique?

BrentPollard

Second Unit
I have watched my CC version of "The Rock" 3 times and have not noticed any problems. If I have time tonight I'll cue up that time and have a look.

The Void

Agent
Real Name
Jason
I've watched my copy of The Rock Criterion 2 or 3 times and didn't notice anything like you describe. I did have a DVD player die while I was going through the menu on The Rock, but that was just a coincidence. It was a Toshiba SD-1200 and it wouldn't spin up the disc and displayed "Disc Error". This was on my parents' player and I am still using a Toshiba SD-1200 problem free for over 3 years.

If I get a chance tonight I can try that spot and report back. My copy would be a first pressing since I got it on the release date.

Nathan_W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nathan
I just happened to watch my copy of The Rock Criterion Ed. the other nite, didn't notice anything strange either. By the way my dvd player is a sony dvp-nc650v, in case you're wondering.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I had that exact same problem. It was right at the beginning of Chapter 18 (if I remember correctly). It would beak up and would go no further. I would have to skip to the next chapter. I took it back to th store bought it from and they exchanged it. The manager said I was the fourth person in the last several months that had brought the disc back for that same reason. This was about 6 months ago. Anyways, my replacement copy plays just fine.

Zack

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks