What's new

The Robe Blu-Ray Special Edition (1 Viewer)

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
My line up for Holy Week Movies. Palm Sunday blu-ray's of The Robe, Good Friday King of Kings and Quo Vadis, Holy Saturday Ten Commandments, Easter Sunday The Song of Bernadette,The Robe, Demetrius and the Gladiators and the last half of Ten Commandments in that order.

Mark, here is mine:

Sunday: Jesus of Nazareth (part 1)

Monday: Easter Specials

Tuesday: Jesus of Nazareth (part 2)

Wednesday: Easter Specials

Thursday: Jesus of Nazareth (part 3)

Easter Special

Friday: Jesus of Nazareth (part 4)

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Originally Posted by Mark Collins

I watched the movie several times and each time was thrilled with things I had never seen before. I hope Fox is going to restore Demetrius and the Gladiators. I read here that one dvd version was better then the first one.
I especially love this Fox restored "The Robe" blu-ray. In fact, it stands as an example of how well things can be done. I'd only add the magnificent Criterion release of DeMille's "King of Kings" to my holiday viewing, Will we see this in blu someday? Also, just wanted to add my voice to those asking for "Demetrius and the Gladiators". It is a beautifully filmed colorful epic with plenty of exciting scenes and a lovely Waxman score. I mean, if we can have "Godfather II" and "Rocky II", can't we please have "The Robe II" in blu-ray?

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
what a great idea, and how stupid of me not to think of it before..... a holy week film festival, and i should make it a tradition!

i do screen horror films exclusively for the whole month of october, but i'll have to expand & also do these themed festivals for the xmas and easter seasons.

so for this week--- 'jesus christ superstar', 'godspell', both 'king of kings', the final episodes of 'jesus of nazareth' on Good Friday. will start off perhaps with 'greatest story ever told'.

'the gospel of st. matthew'- too austere for me.

'the passion of the christ'- too much violence done to Jesus, director gibson seems to wallow in the violence.

'the last temptation of christ'- i believe the real Jesus was more secure in himself & had much more faith than that.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I came home from church where we had a real donkey inside the church!!! The donkey came down the center of the church. I forgot to mention Ben Hur second half which I watched during breakfast. I watch the Passion of Christ every Ash Wednesday in blu ray and the less violent version of the film. I just finished reading "The Last Temptation of Christ" last week. How was the book compared to the movie??? I try during lent to read a lot of novels based on Rome the early christian church etc. I love Jesus Christ Superstar just do not have a copy. I should buy it. This year I bought the Story of Ruth Solomon and Sheba and David and Bathsheba. The last was the best of the three. I have never seen Easter Parade. I also have a VHS copy of I'd Climb the Highest Mountan which I have not watched this year. I also have the Silver Chalice which like Paul Newman I do not much care for it. Crazy as this sounds i sometimes will even watch Watership Down on Holy Saturday.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
you really have celebrated the lenten season. i have gotten out of the habit over the years, but watching religious films this holy week is a good start.

i have not read 'last temptation', but saw the film a number of times. the amount of fear and doubt that the Jesus character has about himself and his mission disturbs me. all the other characters treat him like he's a fool.

also -- and a LOT of films do this -- 'evil' or 'the devil' is clearly depicted, but God is silent, no manifestation in the film.

now i love 'superstar' not only for the music, but also in the way the characters around Christ react to and question who and what he is. Christ remains a mystery..... much more my speed.

I have watched Jesus of Nazareth during Holy Week every year since 1991. And every year, I watch the final hours of the film on Good Friday. It's a powerful way to build up to the Easter holiday for me.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I have always wanted to buy Jesus of Nazareth but i want to wait for an HD copy which i hope will come out soon. I also want to add the restoration Fox did on Demetrius and the Gladiators is much better from the first dvd Fox put out. I sure want this title in HD and i hope Fox can hear us. I watched the Robe and Robe 2 last night with the next viewing Easter Sunday. I am so glad someone said here i think about Marilyn Monroe speaking the words of the slave girl. The slave girl spoke them to Richard and Jean as they stood looking at the ocean.

I hope that when Jesus of Nazareth comes out in HD that they have the series in its four episode configuration with openings and closings for each. Teasers and Previews would be a bonus. I still have a vhs copy that I taped from NBC in 1990...love during the final episode, when the last hour and a half was commercial-free, the announcer comes on and says "And now, NBC presents the final scenes of Jesus of Nazareth...with no further commercial interruptions."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks