What's new

The Road Warrior (1 Viewer)

BobSmith

Agent
Has anyone heard anything about the special edition of Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior? Warner hinted to it last year if I remember correctly. Even Vernon Wells, who plays Wez has said he did a commentary track for the dvd special edition.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Posts addressing the question asked are welcome. Posts on other subjects currently in the news are not welcome and will be deleted.

M.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
Yes, I'm anxiously waiting for this one too. It's long overdue. This is one of my favourites of the 80's.

richardWI

Second Unit
I havent seen any mad max films. I read that its best to watch road warrior first then mad max? Because it's such a great action movie and doesn't need the first movie to be enjoyed and you can go back to mad max later. Thoughts on this??

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I think that it just wrong. You have to watch mad max first, as Road Warrior is the second chapter in the story. Thunderdome was just crap so I usually skip it.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Road Warrior is definitely my fav...was the 4th installment cancelled? Last time I head Gibson was working on a 4th one. I do believe the trilogy needs a fourth since the ending to Thunderdome left you hanging. Anyways, I wouldn't mind an SE of road warrior but I think the following is too small...

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor
I want SE's of both sequels to Mad Mad. I certainly hope that current events will not get these shelved temporarily or permanently if they are indeed in production.

I've avoided Road Warrior and Thunderdome because I heard the quality is so poor.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
A 4th MAD MAX film (titled FURY ROAD as I recall) almost went into production back in 2001, but was first post-poned due to the attacks of 9/11 (it was to be filmed in Moroco, I believe), and then Mel Gibson dropped out entirely and the film was cancelled.

One thing that struck me about the old DVD is just how awful the opticals look in THE ROAD WARRIOR, and almost EVERY scene change in the film is an optical! I almost wish they could go back to the original negatives of those shots and recreate those scene transitions in the HD realm, without that awful optical degredation and hightened grain and printed in dirt.

Vincent

James@R

Second Unit
I wonder if they will do a proper SE, or simply make a few additions to the VHS SE that was released a few years back. When they upgraded The Outlaw Josey Wales dvd, they essentially just transferred the VHS features.

Yeah, they got a little carried away with the "Max as savior" theme. I do enjoy the early part of the film, though.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
The director, George Miller owns Road Warrior and Thunderdome outright. Warner offered him the full rights (I'm not sure if it is USA/Canada or worldwide rights) if he would step down from directing Contact, which Robert Zemeckis directed. I have no idea why Warner wanted to replace him. So, there might be a few extras hurdles in the way of SEs of these films. Also, Miller is a very busy guy these days and Mel Gibson... well, he has his own path and problems, doesn't he. So, unless we all want a SE of Road Warrior that is similar to the MGM SE of the original, I don't think we'll be seeing a SE anytime soon, but you never know. I actually saw Road Warrior last week and though it has a very, very slight story and minimal characterization, it is an exilirating and outrageous film and I would love to hear George Miller's thoughts on it - and the original - at some point.

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned they'd like to see the footage cut for American release put back in. I know I'd like to see it restored. Can't remember exactly what it was offhand...an extra bit of sex and violence here and there, I think. Anyone with details on this footage?

Charlie O.

Supporting Actor

The R-Rated Theatrical Cut is missing several brief scenes, including the close-up of Wez twisting an arrow from his arm and the shot of the feral kid with the boomerang embedded in someone's forehead.

Real Name
Anthony
I know this is HD but if it's Warners we can expect an SD at the same time :

Warner Home Entertainment will bring two more action classics to Blu-ray and HD DVD May 8 -- the cult faves 'Road Warrior' and 'Battle of the Bulge.'

Making their long-awaited next-gen debuts, both 'Road Warrior' (aka 'Mad Max 2') and 'Battle of the Bulge' will boast 1080p transfers, though audio specs have not yet been revealed.

Extras will include first-ever director audio commentaries on each title, with further materials to be announced.

Warner has set a suggested $28.95 list price for both 'Road Warrior' and 'Battle of the Bulge.'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks