What's new

The Road to Wellville FINALLY!!! (1 Viewer)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Almost everyone that has ever gone through my Laserdisc collection has never heard of this comedy from the early 90s. I dont remember ever seeing it in theaters, and very few people I know have ever heard of it, but this comedy has an all star cast, with Anthony Hopkins, Dana Carvey, Matthew Broderick, John Cusack, and Bridget Fonda. So, when I read the news over at dvdfile.com that this movie is slated for a September release, I was overjoyed. Considering the obscurity of this film, it will probably be barebones, but even still, I will be very happy to order it (unless its pan&scan).

Anyways, its a ludicrous comedy about a wellness center from the early 20th late 19th century (its been a while since I've seen it), and it sorta tells a story of how Kellogg's Corn Flakes got popular. I dont know any other way to describe it, other than a witty, ridiculous, yet intelligent, comedy. Highly recommended for anyone whose never seen it!!

I cant wait!

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I have this on laser but haven't watched it in a while. I do remember a particularly funny scene where everyone was taste-testing the corn flakes. LOL! Also Bridget Fonda gets nekkid, which is always a plus :)

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Oh, and one more thing, this movie has one of my favorite original poster arts of any movie in my collection. Considering Columbias recent policies of releasing DVDs with godawful looking cover arts (Real Genius), I'm sure they wont use the original poster art for the DVD. I think I'll keep my Laserdisc and frame it, just for this reason. For your viewing pleasure....

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Damn, that's a neat movie! My wife will be pleased to know it's coming. Soon after she and I hooked up, we went over to a friend of mine's house for dinner one night, and they had rented this film to watch after. I didn't think I'd like it, but his wife and my future missus persuaded me to give it a try. Needless to say, I enjoyed it!

Good to hear that it's on-the-way. I hope it's OAR!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Goddammit!
It's Fullscreen!! :angry:
  • Catalog #09308
  • ISBN #0-7678-9743-9
  • UPC #0-43396-09308-9
  • Order Date: 8/8/02
  • Street Date: 9/10/02
  • Rated: R
  • Running Time: 120
  • MSRP: $24.95
  • Sound: Dolby Stereo
  • Subtitles: English
  • Full Screen: Yes
  • Wide Screen: No
The source won't be revealed, and I hope to God it's wrong. But I'm 90% sure this is accurate info. If it's wrong it's because it's preliminary (official announce date is 7/1).
Dammit Dammit Dammit! Another one bites the dust...

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Boy, am I sure as hell glad that I kept all my laserdiscs! So much for an anamorphic upgrade. :angry:

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Mostly filmed at one of my favorite spots on Earth, the Mohonk Mountain House. With some of my favorite parts of Bridget peaking out of a milk bath. Glad my LD is in good shape.

Jim

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Unlike Disney, Columbia Tristar--which is releasing The Road to Wellville--has been releasing some catalog movies on pan-and-scan DVDs regardless of family appeal--such as Perfect, Midnight Clear and others.
I think the most glaring example was 84 Charing Cross Road!

Jodee

Screenwriter
What can we do to make sure this is widescreen? Is tehre someone at Columbia we can voice our displeasure to? Is tehre a petition we can sign.

I have never seen this movie, but I had heard great things about it. I would have bought the DVD sight unseen but not now.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks like I will be holding into my widescreen laserdisc...dammit dammit dammit dammit.........

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
This movie was filmed near me. My friend Patricia was in a few scenes and got to meet Hopkins and Bridget Fonda (who she said was the biggest bitch she'd ever met)

Shes the Redhead making he beds,walks behind Colm Meaney in the barn when theyre at the table and also seen standing on the balcony in a later scene.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Unlike Disney, Columbia Tristar--which is releasing The Road to Wellville--has been releasing some catalog movies on pan-and-scan DVDs regardless of family appeal
Arrrggghhh. So instead of having some flawed rationale, they have no rhyme or reason at all. I don't know which is worse.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
What's worse, is that the films Columbia is releasing P&S in R1, they are releasing in anamorphic widescreen in R2. 84 Charing Cross Road, Perfect and Mo Money are all widescreen in the UK, which begs the question of why Coumbia isn't putting both versions of these films on the R1 DVD if anamorphic transfers exist.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Man, its almost 2am here, and I am still mad about this. Universal was at the top of my list for most hated studio for 2002, but now I think that Columbia might overthrow them. Even though some of Universals first wave of DVD titles were full frame, they've been pretty good about offering widescreen only, or dual versions. Perhaps its only a matter of time before they start doing that. This really blows.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Universal was at the top of my list for most hated studio for 2002
WHY??????
I can easily think of 3 or 4 others far more deserving.
Universal
-releases OAR (with the exception of the first wave)
-supports DTS more than any other studio
-releases NC-17 and Unrated versions
-adds a shit-load of extras
I'm not saying Universal is perfect (lack of original mono track on Jaws for example, but there's far worse studios out there.
Jeff

Randall Dorr

Second Unit
What the hell's wrong with Columbia?

As DVD gets more and more mainstream, it's understandable that some studios will release more p&s product, but Columbia, early on, was better than any other studio at having widescreen on one side and p&s on the other. If a film is two and a half or three hours, there probably won't be enough room for both versions (unless it's a DVD-18, which is more difficult to manufacture).

But:
The Road to Wellville: 118 min.
Perfect: 115 min.
A Midnight Clear: 107 min.
84 Charing Cross Road: 100 min.

There's no reason in the world why each of these films can't be a dual sided DVD with both versions. (I remember renting The Portrait of a Lady: it had widescreen and p&s and it was 144 minutes!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks