The Ring - Which version do I watch first?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daren Welsh, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

I just got my copy of the Japanese version of "The Ring" last night. I haven't seen the Hollywood version yet, either, so I'm wondering which one I should watch first. Basically, I want to make sure I get the "shock effect" on the better of the two versions [​IMG]
    ... and please, no spoilers!

2. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I have a theory that whichever version you watch first is the one you will find scarier and end up liking more (this applies to The Ring only).

I thought the remake was far scarier and superior than the original, so I would watch that one first. However there a lot of people on this forum who would disagree with me.

3. Herm C

Herm C Stunt Coordinator

I would watch the original Japanese Ring first. It is an atmospheric experience in terror! One scene especially will raise the hair on the back of your neck.

4. Steeve Bergeron

Steeve Bergeron Cinematographer

Steeve Bergeron
    Herm's right. You should definitely watch the original first.

5. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I think both the original and remake are new classics, and I treasure them both about the same, but if you want to be more shocked, I'd say watch the original first. I think it is a bit scarier, and you have no idea when the most shocking scene is coming, where as in the remake its hinted at.

6. JonS

JonS Stunt Coordinator

On it's own, the remake is a pretty good movie. But, compared to the original, it fails miserably in every conceivable aspect. Definately watch the original first.

7. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I would watch the remake first. I thought the remake did the same things as the original, but did them better. I think viewing the original would just lessen the impact of the remake.

8. Daren Welsh

I think the answer to my question is probably the same for most movies redone by Hollywood. It looks like there are reasons for both movies to be watched first, but choosing which one depends on what I value more. From what I've read here, it looks like the original keeps things a bit more vague, allowing the viewer to figure things out (retaining the mystery and suspense, rather than spelling things out). Then again, it looks like the remake might have better Hollywood production (special effects, etc).
    Actually, I just recently watched Insomnia in the same manner. I watched the original version first (Swedish?) and then watched the Hollywood remake a week later. I thought the original had a good story and decent acting, but the production was obviously budgeted on the cheap. The remake had very cool special effects and the acting by Pacino and Williams was much better, but then I felt like they modified the script in a way to explain what was going on too early. It was almost like they didn't expect me to figure everything out (although this might be amplified by my having already watched the film and knowing the ending).
    Based on this ... I think it might be better to watch the original first. [​IMG]

9. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Having only seen the original Japanese version, I would say watch it, mainly because my friend who watched the Japanese version and then saw the remake (without me I might add...[​IMG] ) said the remake still had plenty of impact.
    But the original is definately very chilling.

10. Daren Welsh

Well, I watched the original last night. I think I built my expectations up too high. I was expecting more horror, where this seemed to be mostly suspense with a dash of thriller. Still, it's a worthwhile watch and I'm looking forward to watching the remake. I also have the sequel and prequel to watch ... maybe this weekend.

11. LennyP

LennyP Supporting Actor

I got here too late, and you Daren Welsh decided wrong, you should have watched the US remake first, like I did, because now in the theater you'll sit and half the time think how that is different and how this is the same, etc. Also, you already know the ending, and thirdly, the original is far inferior to the remake, the US version adds so much more, more to detective story, more horror, more about the girl, more of everything, it's much better. I nearly fell asleep watching the original, that's because I've seen the better version already, you didn't build your expectations too high, everyone else is overpraising it, this is one rare case where the US version is way better.
    Insomnia, however, is not, even with all the talent involved, it doesn't have the impact of Stellan Skarsgaard's performance in the yes Swedish original, they completely cut out two important aspects, him killing the dog, and his sexual involvment with the hotel receptionist played by Maura Tierney in the US version, and that is unacceptable.