What's new

The Ring Trilogy (Japanese Ringu) (1 Viewer)

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Ring-Classic and creepy. Must See.
Ring 2-crap, tried to scientfically explain things that didn't need explaning.
RIng 0-Half drama, half horror. Another must see if your interested in the origin of Sadako. Excellent in its own right but not as good as the original.
My 2 cents worth:)

Todd Terwilliger

Screenwriter
I've got Ring 1. I do want Ring 2 and Ring 0 but I haven't gotten them yet. Ring 1, as Romier said, is classic.
I've heard great things about the Korean remake, Ring Virus - some people claim it's even better than the original. Anybody seen it? I may try to pick this one up as well.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
My thoughts on Ring 1 - Decent and well made. Compared to the American remake I like some things more and some things less.

One question, why is it called Ring? In the American remake they came up with an explanation, but in the original there doesn't seem to be a reason. Unless they are referring to the endless cycle the tape will go through in order for the viewer to avoid the curse.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Matt, the title has a double meaning referring to the mentioned endless cycle that the tape will go through, and also referring to the telephone ringing.

RING (aka RINGU) is an absolute horror masterpiece, and is scary as hell!
I haven't seen RING 2 or RING O yet, because I hear they are bad, but I'll see them eventually to decide for myself.

I saw the original a couple weeks ago at a friend's house but unfortunately it was only on a 19" TV. Ugh! I thought it was pretty good but I think the Korean version is better. I actually saw the Korean remake first and ended up watching it twice - it's definitely worth seeing.
I've only seen parts of Ring 2 (my friend was really just skipping through it at the time) but I saw enough to know that I wouldn't recommend it. The best thing about Ring 2 is that Japanese pop star Kyoko Fukada has a part in it. What a cutie!
My friend promised to bring his all-region player over to my place soon so we can watch Ring 1 on the big-screen. Maybe then I'll be able to appreciate it more.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The film is called "Ring", NOT Ringu. Anyone who calls it Ringu in print has been translating from a dictionary. It's specifically written in katakana, the alphabet for foreign words, which means that it is, and always has been "Ring"

Do a search, there has ben an extensive thread on different issues of the film

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Ring was great, with a brilliant ending, and I hope the American remake is as good.

Ring 2 was pretty dull really, and nowhere near as good as the original

Ring 0 was far more interesting, if not particularly scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks