What's new

THE RING questions. (1 Viewer)

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry if it has been discussed in another subject. I did a search, but I keep getting Lord of the Rings results.

1) How's the Japanese original version?

2) Is it available on DVD?

3) Should I try to watch the original, or will the remake be worthy?

Thanks

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The Japanese original is available on R2 DVD. It is very creepy indeed and highly recommended if you like that sort of thing. I would opt for the real thing over a warmed-over Hollywood remake every time.

Stephen R

Stunt Coordinator
1) It's very good. It's low-key, restrained, and it's very satisfying in the final analysis because the scares build organically from the story, culminating in a couple of scenes with truly terrifying power.
2) It IS available on DVD, but only on Region 2 DVD. There's also a region-free Hong Kong VCD, but it only has Chinese subtitles. I'm not an advocate of internet piracy or anything, but since it's the only way to see it for many people, I will say that it's pretty easy to find a good DVD rip of it with English subtitles to download on the net, if you know where to look.
3) Judging by the trailer of the U.S. remake, it appears that they'll be two entirely different movies. The tone and style that Verbinski appears to have gone with is entirely at odds with the original, as far as I can tell. But who knows, maybe that's just the way the trailer is cut (I do know for sure that a CGI shot from the inside of a VCR as it plays the tape is the last thing you'd find in the original). Basically, what I'm trying to say is that I don't think the remake is gonna compensate for not seeing the original, since they appear to be pretty darn different; the remake does look good in its own way though (looks like it's got the whole surrealistic dread idea down to an art). If you can manage to track down Ringu, it's worth the search.

Christian H

Auditioning
1) The Japanese original version is excellent. Far better than any remake could be IMO.
2) As said above, it's available on R2 (I own it). There's no special features as far as I recall, but getting it on DVD in the first place, is considered 'special' enough for me. :)
3) Definatly try and get a hold of the original. It's very moody and creepy. One of the better horror movies I've seen.

Christian H

Auditioning
I just saw the trailer for the remake. Perhaps I just heard it wrong/misunderstood it, but did it say something about "right before you die you see a ring"? I am in doubt since it showed some graphics that looked like a ring/circle. Well, I hope I just got it wrong - since that wouldn't make sense when compared to the original. Does anyone have an answer?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
If you want NTSC, there's a legit Region 0 version floating around eBay that's supposedly a decent release.

Perhaps I just heard it wrong/misunderstood it, but did it say something about "right before you die you see a ring"?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw the trailer before Signs and I think it looks pretty good(the remake that is)

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
1) The original THE RING is a brilliant and extremely creepy horror classic, that is easily a must see for any fellow horror fan! Spectacular film in every way!
2) Its on R2, and I own it.
3) You should definitely try to see the original! See the remake too, because it looks good (and has the gorgeous Naomi Watts :) ), but you simply can't miss the original!

Fred Bang

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your responses. I think I'll wait for the original. Anyway, I suppose the original will come out at the same time with the DVD of the remake.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Not so sure about that; maybe this is just conspiracy theory, but my understanding is that the remakers bought up all US rights including video to the original expressly so that they would not have to compete with it.

The same thing was done with Ben-Hur; when the Heston version came out the original silent (generally considered to be better in most respects) was bought up and sat on for decades.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I saw a trailer for "The Ring" yesterday in front of "Signs." I hadn't heard of it before, and didn't know it was a remake (until I stumbled into this thread). It looks good, and I think I'm going to see it, but I'd like to check out the original first. It's not available on DVD in Region 1? Does anyone know if the Region 2 Japanese DVD contains english subtitles? Any other comments on its quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks