What's new

The Ring........March 4th........w/DTS (1 Viewer)

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jeremy. That is pretty good news, although this disc is still very disappointing.

Christopher Carr

Stunt Coordinator
But is that the full Dreamworks Press Release? Because I already knew about the featurette, there may be deleted scenes in that, yes but Dreakworks has indicated that more features will be with the DVD and it will be revealed with the press release.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I was just doing my weekly search to see if any of the online retailers have put "The Ring" and "Ring" up yet, and found that they have. But here's the kicker. Even that place which will remain unnamed due to the rules (but that offers discounts of the deep variety) is selling "Ring" (the Japanese version) for almost $24.00!

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that this is still a relatively barebones disc, so this seems a wee bit steep to me. DreamWorks usually doesn't charge *that* much for new releases (the highest one I remember was the "Almost Famous" bootleg cut, which cost about 27 and it was three discs), and to see a single disc at this high a price these days shocked me a little.

Yes, I'm happy to see it's being released, but damn that price seems a little steep to me. As it is, it's going to be more expensive to get the original than it is to get the remake, which light-on-the-extras as it may be, still will have more than the original version.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Michael, I don't see the Japanese Ringu being a big seller. Like Dreamworks' Woody Allen discs, they are charging more per unit as sales will be considerablly lower than their more mainstream titles. I'd be surprised if Rungu sells more than 10% of The Ring's total.

I have no complaints about the price, but I'm expecting the release to be top quality to replace my R0 PAL Tartan release. If it's not, I will be most disappointed.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
DVD File has the DreamWorks press release.
The press release only mentions a "short film" as the bonus feature on the disc for the 2002 remake:
The short film is not a collection of previously used material - it was exclusively cut for the film's video release and designed to extend the experience of the film.
I'm not sure if that means the deleted scenes are included or not.
This appears to be the final cover art:

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
The "short film" is just PR spin on the description:

An exclusive 16-minute director's feature with
deleted scenes and newly created footage -
takes the more courageous viewer even deeper
into the mystery of The Ring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members