What's new

The Ring........March 4th........w/DTS (2 Viewers)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Considering the other Dreamworks titles that I can think of off the bat, is this one the only one with radically changed artwork?

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I guess the cover art for A.I. changed drastically from the original poster art, but that's all I can think of right now.

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Okay guys, perhaps the director doesnt want extra features. Some directors are like that, and Im perfectly fine with it. A fine presentation should be the only thing that a disc needs and this sounds like it will!

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just hope MSRP won't be too high, because great value has really spoiled me. If I get a barebones release there's no way I'm paying over 15 bucks.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Well crap...I was just checkng DVD File, and MSRP is $26.95. That's just a tad too high for a friggen crummy release.

Eujin

Supporting Actor
The cover art for this release SUCKS. Why couldn't they just stick to the poster art?
I couldn't agree more. For the first time, I think I'm going to do my own cover art when this comes out--unless they announce an SE before then. I know Dreamworks has not had a track record of re-releasing titles, but I suspect that this may be one of them. I definitely think that they're rushing this title out because they know it will sell--especially since the movie is still fairly fresh in everyone's mind.

EW reported on 11/19 that Dreamworks was hoping to get both Verbinski and Ehren Kruger (writer) to develop a sequel AND a prequel for The Ring. You can read the original clipping by doing a search for "The Ring Sequel" at ew.com. It seems to me that they'll release an SE to coincide with the theatrical release of the sequel/prequel. But it'll be a bit of a wait because they're talking 2004 at this point.

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
The only time that I can recall DreamWorks double-dipping was with the initial release of "Almost Famous" and the later (about eight months or so if I recall correctly) release of the "Untitled" 2-disc set, and everything that was included on the initial release was included on the later one. What this bodes for "The Ring" I have no idea.

And on the cover artwork, if I had access to a good printer or a good place to print it, I'd be finding another cover as well. Even though the cover of the DVD was used as poster art in some areas, I like the starkness of the original poster much better.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Okay guys, perhaps the director doesnt want extra features. Some directors are like that, and Im perfectly fine with it.
I have trouble believing that because Verbinksi's previous two films, Mouse Hunt and The Mexican are pretty loaded with features. I belief that both of them have deleted scenes and The Mexican has a commentary track. So with his previous record I would not say he is a director that hates bonus features. I think this mostly was a Dreamworks decision.

James Reader

Screenwriter
I think this mostly was a Dreamworks decision.
Of course, the director is currently working on Pirates of the Caribbean, and this unable to supervise the DVD of The Ring properly.

Could this be another Almost Famous situation? Also a Dreamworks title? With a more complete version being released at a later date?

Travis D

Second Unit
Could this be another Almost Famous situation? Also a Dreamworks title? With a more complete version being released at a later date?
I don't think that is the case. The movie seems pretty complete and there were no fits from the director for a longer or R-rated cut AFAIK.

And as for the cover art...

If the original poster is good enough to promote a film why should they change it? If they thing floating heads really sell a film better why don't they make those the posters they put out in the theater lobbies? Makes no sense to me.

Sidenote - An ideal box set for this would include a VHS tape packaged with it with nothing on it but the video footage. That would be f'd up.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
And plus, in the case of Almost Famous, it was bad timing that made for the dual release. Originally the full SE was supposed to be the only release, but Crowe had to finish filming Vanilla Sky before a possible actor's strike. This delayed his involvement with the DVD release, hence the dual release.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You know what? I'd say they ought to stop right now, and wait until they could work on a better version, assuming that this news is true.

Travis D

Second Unit
You know what? I'd say they ought to stop right now, and wait until they could work on a better version, assuming that this news is true.
I could wait too, but sadly this won't happen. Studios need a quick turnaround so they can sell the product while it's still fresh. Even telling us that there is a possibility for an SE would be preferable to the idea that they will only release this one version.

Hey Dreamworks, I bought both versions of Almost Famous, and a lot of other people did the same. But you have to let us know these things so we can make an informed purchase decision. Or is that the whole point...

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I did not know that...the only poster I ever saw was the one with the ring in the middle.
Yeah, but as far as I know, it was only used in very limited numbers and might have seen wider use in foreign (to the US) markets. There were copies of it on Ebay (shudder) when the film was released, but none of the major online movie poster dealers seem to have them in stock. Not that I care, mind you, as it's absolutely horrible. :)
Give me the black and white, "Before you die..." poster with the "ring" in the middle any day of the week.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
The DVD WILL include deleted scenes, as part of the featurette.

BONUS FEATURES
Watch If You Dare!

• An exclusive 16-minute director's feature with
deleted scenes and newly created footage -
takes the more courageous viewer even deeper
into the mystery of The Ring.

• Plus, the original trailer for Ringu -
the International box office hit that started it all!

*Bonus feaures are subject to change*

Christopher Carr

Stunt Coordinator
All disgruntled THE RING fans, Dreamworks has not yet released the press release as DVDFILE.com reports that next week Dreamworks will be releasing the press release and expect more special features on the dvd...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks