The Ring - extras?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by LarryDavenport, Oct 14, 2003.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I just saw The Ring for the first time on cable this weekend and liked it a lot. I thought about getting the DVD but can't tell if it has any extras that might answer the many questions I have.

Is the DVD worth getting now, or should I wait for a possible Deluxe Edition when the sequel comes out next year?

2. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

The current DVD is available in either widescreen or pan & scan (The PQ is very good.), has english 5.1 DTS, english and french 5.1 DD, and english 2.0 DS. (DTS and DD are both very good. The film may be a bit too subtle for use as a great audio "demo" DVD).

Special features:

"never before short film created by Gore Verbinski exculsively for the video release that reveals more electrifying secrets about the mystery of The Ring"

This "special feature" is really just deleated and extended scenes for the film. It makes no sense if you watch it as a self-contained "short film" like the ad copy suggests.

You also get a trailer for Ringu, the japanese film that the american film is a remake of (Actual japanese film was called "ring", the name "ringu" comes from a japanese hybrid language called "katikana" that was used by Dreamworks to prevent customer confusion).

But no trailer for the movie you just bought! You have to buy Ringu, the foriegn film, to watch the american remake's trailer! This is the stupidest idea in trailers I've ever seen. At least both films are excellant IMHO.

Easter Egg
    Use the 'down' cusror on your DVD remote during the DVD's menu (Just keep pressing 'down' until you highlight a blank area' to watch the "cursed" short film from the movie

Possible "deluxe" edition ideas:

Box set that includes Ring, Ring 2, and Ring 0 (the japanese/korean sequel/prequel). and/or a good commentary track.

3. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Are the Chris Cooper deleted scenes part of the short film? How about the alternate video store ending?

4. BrettB

BrettB Producer

5. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit

6. Bill J

Bill J Producer

I don't remember the Chris Cooper scenes being on the disc. I could be wrong though.

7. Antony James

Antony James Stunt Coordinator

No, the Chris Cooper scenes are completely absent. Being held for a further release maybe?

8. Sergio Martorel

Sergio Martorel Second Unit