What's new

The Ring (Canadian Version) - Bilingual Cover ??? (1 Viewer)

Trevor H

Second Unit
I was wondering if anyone knows if the Canadian version of The Ring has a bilingual cover and disc art, I know most Dreamworks DVD's do, if it does I will be ordering mine from the US.

Paul_Stachniak

Screenwriter
It's really becoming a problem here in Canada. I know its a little thing, and some people don't care or live with it. But the French makes some packages look REALLY ugly.

Also these designers aren't too bright over here. Generally the spine of the DVD will have both the English, and French title on it. However, it's an oddity, when the guys at Alliance bother to print a movie title like John Q. twice on the spine, even though the translation is the same in both languages. Why not just have the one? Paramount did that with Zoolander. Sigh...

Trevor H

Second Unit
Well it looks like i'll be ordering another batch of DVD's from the US, I hope some Canadian distributers are reading this and taking notes. (in case they have not got the hint)
I REFUSE TO BUY DVD's WITH BILINGUAL COVERS - PERIOD!!!

Trevor H

Second Unit
Oh and before I order, I have to ask if Ringu also has a bilingual cover because if it is I will also order it from the US

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
Most of the online Canadian DVD stores seem to be showing the US cover. But here's what you'll really be getting:

-Lyle J.P.

ChristianB

Stunt Coordinator
The Ring is indeed Bilingual.

Ringu is NOT, as there is only Japanese 5.1 audio.

Remember WHY Canadians have to put up with bilingual artwork from Paramount and Universal Alliance Atlantis:

Universal does "their" thing to crack down in the massive DVD shipments to the USA. Many (and I mean MANY) retailers and wholesalers in the US buy here in Canada, and some wholesalers ship THOUSANDS of copies to the USA. Universal HATES this and therefore designed the bilingual covers so that they can "trace" Canadian product in the US.

So, remember it's NOT just this "law" or else I'm sure Universal would provide separate versions for those who want it. A choice.

I have noticed that Universal doesn't bother with bilingual on older titles with English/French audio tracks. Alliance does.

Christian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks