The Ring (Canadian Version) - Bilingual Cover ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor H, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

I was wondering if anyone knows if the Canadian version of The Ring has a bilingual cover and disc art, I know most Dreamworks DVD's do, if it does I will be ordering mine from the US.

2. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Just look at the recently released 'Road To Perdition' Disc. That will answer your question very quickly- damn ugly bilingual cover.[​IMG] The Ring will no doubt be the same.[​IMG]

4. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

It's really becoming a problem here in Canada. I know its a little thing, and some people don't care or live with it. But the French makes some packages look REALLY ugly.

Also these designers aren't too bright over here. Generally the spine of the DVD will have both the English, and French title on it. However, it's an oddity, when the guys at Alliance bother to print a movie title like John Q. twice on the spine, even though the translation is the same in both languages. Why not just have the one? Paramount did that with Zoolander. Sigh...

5. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Well it looks like i'll be ordering another batch of DVD's from the US, I hope some Canadian distributers are reading this and taking notes. (in case they have not got the hint)
    I REFUSE TO BUY DVD's WITH BILINGUAL COVERS - PERIOD!!!

6. Trevor H

Trevor H Second Unit

Oh and before I order, I have to ask if Ringu also has a bilingual cover because if it is I will also order it from the US

7. Lyle_JP

Lyle_JP Screenwriter

Most of the online Canadian DVD stores seem to be showing the US cover. But here's what you'll really be getting:

[​IMG]

-Lyle J.P.

8. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

The Ring is indeed Bilingual.

Ringu is NOT, as there is only Japanese 5.1 audio.

Remember WHY Canadians have to put up with bilingual artwork from Paramount and Universal Alliance Atlantis:

Universal does "their" thing to crack down in the massive DVD shipments to the USA. Many (and I mean MANY) retailers and wholesalers in the US buy here in Canada, and some wholesalers ship THOUSANDS of copies to the USA. Universal HATES this and therefore designed the bilingual covers so that they can "trace" Canadian product in the US.

So, remember it's NOT just this "law" or else I'm sure Universal would provide separate versions for those who want it. A choice.

I have noticed that Universal doesn't bother with bilingual on older titles with English/French audio tracks. Alliance does.

Christian